Diff magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change the fluid in my 1973 Chevy 3/4 ton truck with the "14 bolt" rear end. I bought a new chrome cover for it, I've seen them come with magnets on them but mine doesn't have one. I'd like to attach a small magnet somehow. Any ideas how to attach the magnet to the cover? Obviously it will stick on it's own, but is that enough to hold it? Maybe some kind of epoxy to glue it down? I wouldn't want the magnet getting loose and into my gears...

The drain/fill plugs are often magnetic. Check and see if yours are magnetic; if they are, skip the additional magnet.

I'd go with the aftermarket approach of the magnets already part of the cover/assembly.....rather than attaching/affixing your own.

Never seen a 14 bolt with a magnetic plug, especially in the '70s era.

A small magnet won't do much good. Several small ones maybe. The ones that I've seen in factory applications are round, donut shaped and 2-3 inches O.D.

tommygunns suggestion is a good one from many levels but a costly answer.

DO not put a magnet on the inside of your differential. If you hit a large bump it could dislodge and fall into the gears.

Buy some of these hi-temp supr magnets and stick them on the outside of the cover.

Chrome is not good for sealing or heat removal. You should take some sand paper and roughen the gasket surface of the cover, or you will get leaks. Chrone valve covers leak, chrome thermostat housings leak, chrome oil pans and transmission pans leak. Remove the chrome and the gasket or sealant will hold.

Do you think a magnetic fill plug would help any? That part isn't really submerged in oil...but I could probably find one cheap. The "14 bolt" has the filler hole on the back of the axle, not on the cover like most...

Originally Posted By: 73Chevy
Do you think a magnetic fill plug would help any? That part isn't really submerged in oil...but I could probably find one cheap. The "14 bolt" has the filler hole on the back of the axle, not on the cover like most...

your 73 14 bolt should have a drain plug.

14 bolts don't have a drain plug, at least not from the 70s.

I did just change the oil and find a magnet inside already. Somebody call 1973 and tell them I'm impressed.
grin.gif

How much metal is normal to find on the magnet? It seemed like quite a bit, though the gears looked like they were in great condition.

14 bolts don't have a drain plug, at least not from the 70s.

My 1973 Chevy C-20 3/4 ton with 14 bolt rear end (4.11 gears) had a drain plug.

Yeah, many of the 14-bolts I've seen and worked on have drain plugs. Not to surprised to hear that some don't have one but am surprised (pleasantly) there's a magnet. Could the cover have been changed from a later axle? Anyway, having it fuzzy with metal means that nasty stuff wasn't running between the rollers and the cups in the bearings... and that's a good thing!

Last edited:
Hmmm...where is this drain plug supposed to be? I've had a few 14 bolts and never seen one. Maybe you're refering to the semi floater version and I'm talking about the full floater?

The magnet wasn't on the cover, but at the bottom of the diff housing.

Hmmm...where is this drain plug supposed to be? I've had a few 14 bolts and never seen one. Maybe you're refering to the semi floater version and I'm talking about the full floater?

The magnet wasn't on the cover, but at the bottom of the diff housing.

My 14 bolt was a full floater, as far as I can remember. The drain plug is on the bottom of the housing. It is flush with the casting.

There are thousands of GM 14 bolts out there that have run 30+ years on the factory diff oil. I really would not worry about a magnet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back