Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had quick and friendly service at the Lancaster, PA location. It has become a favorite of the guys I work with and Fridays are now "Five Guy's Fridays." Great food and I feel confident in their products. Another favorite for great food and great customer service is Chick Fil A.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I don't get why people are saying Five Guys is expensive. Have you priced a burger at Wendy's and the like? It's at least $3.19 for a single now and they force you to buy cheese even if you don't want it.

I guess I'm just a cheap geezer. Three people - three burgers, two fries and three drinks. Over $30 seems expensive, that's all.

Exactly. And for food in a bag? I can go to a local sitdown place with service and atmosphere and get the same food for that price. (And Wendys is about $6 for a combo, not $11).

John

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: GMZ
There is one on base here, but I dont really eat there since I dont eat out often.

It has got to be better than the "Rice King", which Navy folks should know about...

Sir I completely forgot about that place and trust me that is hard to do! Because that is some lousy food not as bad as the slop that is served on a LHD though.

But to the OP five guys service is great for the restaurant burgers are ok but the variety of toppings make up for the beef the fries are great but I have yet to meet a fried potato that I have not liked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo

I don't get why people are saying Five Guys is expensive. Have you priced a burger at Wendy's and the like? It's at least $3.19 for a single now and they force you to buy cheese even if you don't want it.

I guess I'm just a cheap geezer. Three people - three burgers, two fries and three drinks. Over $30 seems expensive, that's all.

I'm not sure how it came to $30 dollars unless it was the big cheese burgers, large drinks and large fries and even then that seems a little higher than the prices I saw when there yesterday. If you go to Wendy's and get 3 supersized meals you'll be over $20 too.

I do agree Five Guys gets expensive when you order their large cheese burger and their drinks and fries are especially expensive and not discounted as a combo as far as I know. My point is if you just want a hamburger with a good variety of toppings the price isn't bad. I don't really consider a hamburger, fries and a soda a very good meal or value anywhere, and I can see five guys being price that way. But get 2 hamburgers and split the "small" size fry and it works out to about $5 a piece and not bad. It all depends on what you are ordering.

All right I agree Five Guys is overpriced for anything more than a little burger and splitting their small fry. All the restaurants are getting so expensive anymore.

One complaint and question. Why can the burgers only be cooked well done? Doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Are the seasoned fries covered in old bay seasoning?

I don't get why people say In-n-out burger is so great. I had it a few times and it was no better and maybe worse than McDonald's.

I was just at Five Guys yesterday and a single was $3.8x which with more topping choices makes it a better deal. The toppings is what makes Five Guys a good burger IMO. Sure, if you get a double with cheese, fries and a drink you'll be pushing $10. It's a lot of fries though I'm not much of a fan of their fries.

BINGO! I cannot believe ANYONE likes In n Out - they are marginal at best. I mean, be serious - you can't get mayo or BACON!! I don't like their "special sauce", the burger is small and the fries are like cardboard! They just came to Texas last year and as far as I am concerned, they can go back to California!

You are right - 5 Guys is not expensive - all food is expensive now and 5 Guys is priced just like any other. For the one's saying they will just cook burgers at home - well that isn't any cheaper...but yeah you can make the burger to your liking.

The bun is what makes a five guys burger. You can buy everything in a grocery store and whatever bun you'd like and it will taste like [censored]. You won't find a bun in any grocery store that has the same recipe as five guys.

5 Guys was nothing more than a generic ma & pa corner hamburger joint in Chicago.

Sure they're tasty, but they're nothing special. And overpriced.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've been to the one in Arlington Texas (right off Cooper near Parks Mall) several times. Every time they service has been friendly, the place is clean and the food is consistantly good. No complaints.

You have to fight through the Red Lobster and La Madeleine parking lot to get there and forget about it if it's holiday season. The Honeybaked Ham line will block all traffic to that corner of the parking lot.

Yeah, that's my complaint. That's all I got.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

BINGO! I cannot believe ANYONE likes In n Out - they are marginal at best. I mean, be serious - you can't get mayo or BACON!! I don't like their "special sauce", the burger is small and the fries are like cardboard! They just came to Texas last year and as far as I am concerned, they can go back to California!

You are right - 5 Guys is not expensive - all food is expensive now and 5 Guys is priced just like any other. For the one's saying they will just cook burgers at home - well that isn't any cheaper...but yeah you can make the burger to your liking.

You can't have In-N-Out for lunch. It takes too long to get through the line, eat, and get back to work on time. As far as the quality? Meh...
21.gif
. I'll just go to Whataburger. At least they have spicy ketchup in those little black tubs and I can get in, get my food hot and fresh, eat, and get back to work in under an hour.

I still eat at Krystal a couple of times a year. It's a childhood memory thing. I used to go to minor league baseball games in Georgia when I was a kid. I wouldn't buy a hot dog at the game though. After the game I would go to Krystal and get a couple of those little horrible burgers and a "CoCola". They are exactly the same as they were over 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: John_K

Exactly. And for food in a bag? I can go to a local sitdown place with service and atmosphere and get the same food for that price.

Ah yes, the atmosphere, or lack thereof. I've never been particularly fond of metal, prison-cafeteria-style tables and chairs, even if they are painted bright red.

Looking at the (limited) nutritional information available on their website leaves me wondering why anyone would eat that garbage once; I'm baffled why anyone would be foolish enough to eat that garbage on a regular basis.

After reviewing the nutritional information and seeing the responses here, I certainly understand why so much of the population is obese, and suffers from obesity and poor food quality health issues. And yet the same people who put this cheap trash into their own mouths will waste a huge amount of money on specialty oils for their automobiles.

There are often some seriously bizarre priorities on this site.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Looking at the (limited) nutritional information available on their website leaves me wondering why anyone would eat that garbage once; I'm baffled why anyone would be foolish enough to eat that garbage on a regular basis.

After reviewing the nutritional information and seeing the responses here, I certainly understand why so much of the population is obese, and suffers from obesity and poor food quality health issues.

Agreed, rich in nutrition it is not. But, at the same time, it is appealing to the American taste.

Would I rather have a nice meal cooked with tons of fresh vegetables from my garden? Absolutely. But it seems that given the proliferation of fast food joints and burger places, that most people just dont care.

There is a time and place for it. It does taste good and lets you eat without doing dishes, I get that. But the sheer number of places selling zero nutritious food just amazes me.

But Im probably being mean or snobbish by saying so...

All this said, we are going to try a five guys today as there is one nt far away and this thread makes me want to try. I think I went to one back around 2005, but dont remember much about the food. Of course for dinner we will have a light meal with a staggering variety of nutritious vegetables and whatnot, so it's all good... And I likely wont go back for another seven years!

After reviewing the nutritional information and seeing the responses here, I certainly understand why so much of the population is obese, and suffers from obesity and poor food quality health issues. And yet the same people who put this cheap trash into their own mouths will waste a huge amount of money on specialty oils for their automobiles.

Five Guys may not be made from the most wholesome of ingredients for what the bun contains, but why do you assume that a hamburger and fries cannot be nutritionally sound? Frying potatoes in peanut oil and cheese and mayonnaise can be a lot of calories from fat and maybe not the msot healthy, but ground beef, bread, lettuce, onion, tomato, kethcup, potatoes etc is plenty nutritious. You know, you can get a hamburger without cheese and mayo and a bake potatoes at Wendy's. It's not that many calories and is nutritious. The point is you can be eating healthy or unhealthy from anywhere.

Coming from you, that may be the funniest thing I've ever seen on this website, especially given your signature.
crackmeup2.gif

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Coming from you, that may be the funniest thing I've ever seen on this website, especially given your signature.
crackmeup2.gif

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

LOL that's funny! I sort of like Pop_Rivit's attitude though.

The galloping gourmet checking in from Five Guys in Audubon, NJ.

Giant store, all the walls are covered with reviews from magazines on how great five guys is.

Music was a bit loud, seemed like it was biased towards the guitar sounds being over boosted versus the words.

They had stacks of potato and peanut boxes in the place. Idaho potatoes...

f6e1739d.jpg

Ordered one bacon cheeseburger with fried mushrooms and onions and BBQ sauce, and one "small" burger with L, T, O and pickles. One small order of fries and one soda completed the order for $17.79.

They had peanuts there, I like salted peanuts, so a plus for that. What I didn't like was this:

fa5193c7.jpg

Seriously? Since when are we so afraid of lawsuits that we are advised to not remove peanuts for fear of people outside with allergies? I'm all for being respectful of those with allergies, but if this is going to be the way it is dealt with, why not just outlaw peanuts for all?

Anyway, got the order, a nice greasy bag.

a5d1c1cf.jpg

I ordered a regular bacon cheeseburger, and the 3 patties term on the receipt was the first clue in.

Everything was packed tight:

3dc55cd0.jpg

Our burgers were squashed a bit...

ceb934c9.jpg

8c5fab1d.jpg

I hadn't really realized that mine was two patties until I bit in and verified.

1887a9a3.jpg

The burger was good. Juicy, had some grease but not terrible, the bun was nicely toasted but not too hot or crispy. It was a nice tasting bun and made the burger good. I liked it. I also liked the skin on the fries:

9df969f3.jpg

So it was a bit expensive, a little loud, a little greasy, but overall was a good burger that I would go for again if I had an appetite. I think a Wendy's burger is more greasy and not as good as a five guys. I haven't had a whopper in forever, but the flame broiled taste is always good, I bet it would go well with these.

Can't complain, Im satisfied, and we are glad we went there for lunch.

Pretty good and not too expensive for the ocasional lunch at work.
I would not eat this stuff every day, unless I either did lots of physical labor or were trying to turn into a fat boy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back