Copper versus Platinum spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I raced a Neon R/T for years and ran only Bosch platinum plus 4's in it. It was quite a runner, too, and would hit the limiter in 5th gear easily.

Ran like a gem for over 80k miles and then was stolen... I miss it as it was terrific fun and got unreal gas mileage.

Unless you've read about your vehicles engine being picky (i.e. I will only run a select few NGK's in my Passat), any type of material is sufficient and won't really make a difference. I have read however that many racers and such find the plain copper works the best.

If the plugs are easy to get at, I generally get plain coppers as they're cheap, and change them maybe every 40k.

If they're harder to get at like my Ford Modulars with the Coil-Over-Plug, I put in double platinums. The double platium Autolites are still pretty cheap (if walmart stocks the one you need its $2.25 a piece), and then you can leave it for 100k.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Well, I raced a Neon R/T for years and ran only Bosch platinum plus 4's in it. It was quite a runner, too, and would hit the limiter in 5th gear easily.

Ran like a gem for over 80k miles and then was stolen... I miss it as it was terrific fun and got unreal gas mileage.

I only ever ran Champion RC9YC's in my R/T as recommended by the good people on "the org" and from experience saying they worked. I never did try any other plugs though, I used what worked. I also raced my R/T (only in a straight line though)

There's a lot of misconception in this thread. Quest covered it well.

Copper plugs are copper in the core only. I'm not sure if it's for thermal conductivity or plug resistance.
Plug electrodes are made of nickel, and are not nickel plated. (I personally verified this through EDS analysis).
Platinum tips are for tip erosion only. The conductivity of platinum is too insignificant to even consider for spark conductivity.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
There's a lot of misconception in this thread. Quest covered it well.

Copper plugs are copper in the core only. I'm not sure if it's for thermal conductivity or plug resistance.
Plug electrodes are made of nickel, and are not nickel plated. (I personally verified this through EDS analysis).
Platinum tips are for tip erosion only. The conductivity of platinum is too insignificant to even consider for spark conductivity.

Good summary,

For the best value and balance between durability and efficiency the platinum plugs are very good.

Now a lot of folks claim that the multi electrode plugs are just a gimmick but this isn't true in all applications.

Surface gap plugs have better self cleaning abilities and can more completely burn the F/A mixture offering better emissions in the process, which in turn is good for things like the catalytic converter and O2 sensor life span and their cleanliness as well. It may not be an earth shattering difference but it could be noticeable over the life of the vehicle.

I've been learning a LOT about spark plugs lately...the amount of details and technical info available is amazing

Differences in cylinder conditions, such as cylinder pressure, will have a much greater effect on spark voltage than the conductor. Keep in mind that most spark plugs are "resistor" type so discussing the merits of the tiny differences in core conductors is moot.

Older Mercedes V8's (of which I have a few) call for copper NON-RESISTOR plugs (try and find 'em!) because the factory wire sets have built-in resistance...

Cars will run with BOSCH Platinum plugs but actually run better(IMHO) with copper resistor type plugs (often available within a $ per plug, + or - a $) but you must make sure you get the ones with the little screw off/on tips.

Certainly platinum plugs last longer in most applications when the heat range is correct. This becomes reasonable & readily apparent when plug accessability is factored in: plug replacement my SVX, for example, is a circa $300 job at the Stealer$hip because you had better know just how to get to them or you can spend a lot of time, scraped knuckles, etc. if you don't (I can swap out all 6 plugs in less than an hour, now).

Every 30K might seem like a lot of maintenance for those children raised on "100K plugs", "no need to change the tranny fluid" or, in some cases, not even be able to check it!

As far as the multiple electrodes are concerned...

REMEMBER the 1st razors with two blades? Try 5 blades, now!
(Can a 6 blade cartridge be far from release?)

////// = a REALLY smooth shave!

Cheers!

Last edited:
You can have platinum plugs that are copper.
Or anything else.
The copper is in the core, not the firing tips.

Most civilians/amateurs get this all wrong.

Exactly, the precious hard metals like Platinum or Iridium are about making the plugs last longer and that also means that you will see no decrese in actual performance like you might in a basic copper plug.

My BIL swears his new Pulstar Iridium plugs for his Fit are awesome but admittedly didn't notice an improvement in actual performance, of course he replaced the factory Denso Iridium's and they weren't terrible or anything; at about 120k miles in, IIRC.

Any thoughts on that brand of plug?

Marketing, right? He uses a scan gauge II, I'll see if he's getting better ignition advance or not, but he's also been playing around with e-85 and 87 gas ratio mixtures for a while.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
My BIL swears his new Pulstar Iridium plugs for his Fit are awesome but admittedly didn't notice an improvement in actual performance, of course he replaced the factory Denso Iridium's and they weren't terrible or anything; at about 120k miles in, IIRC.

Marketing, right? He uses a scan gauge II, I'll see if he's getting better ignition advance or not, but he's also been playing around with e-85 and 87 gas ratio mixtures for a while.

One word: gimmick.

At 120K on the originals, any type of new spark plug would have seemed like the next best thing since sliced bread.

^I think he had high expectations but the old ones at 120k in performed about as well as the new plugs, that was more of the point I wanted to make.

He put 'em in. Feels all uber psyched. Interested in performance differences and fuel trims, etc.

^I think he had high expectations but the old ones at 120k in performed about as well as the new plugs, that was more of the point I wanted to make.

He put 'em in. Feels all uber psyched. Interested in performance differences and fuel trims, etc.

Probably also swears it runs better after a fresh oil change.

Placebo effect.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I have yet to pull the plugs on the Civic but I assume they are copper. Who knows.

Either way I will replace with copper, as they are stupid easy to replace on the Honda 1.8L. And the plugs are dirt cheap.

They are Denso iridiums: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182887

The owners manual gives part numbers for Denso and NGK replacements, but they are pricey. If it runs well with different plugs though then copper could be a good choice in that car -- I agree the 8th gen R18 plugs are about the easiest to replace ever. I will miss that when I eventually have to change the plugs on my Subaru
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The overwhelming majority of new cars ship with plats or platinum/iridium hybrids. Very few vehicles come with ol' coppers anymore.

I had a 1995 Ford Contour that came with platinum plugs. At that time, 17 years ago, not very many cars came with platinum plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back