Mixing MMO with Techron Concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to start another MMO war here, I am just wondering if anyone uses a blend of Techron and MMO together in one dose? If so what is the ratio of MMO to Techron in your blend and does it work better than using MMO by itself?

I picked up a couple bottles of Techron on the AAP BOGO sale today and am planning to try a mix of 4 oz. MMO and 2 oz. Techron to each tank of gas when I fill up. I fill up around the 1/4 tank mark on my fuel gauge and it usually it takes about 15 gallons. I just want to see if there is any noticeable improvement in power and/or gas mileage.

I did do a search and did not really find what I am looking for. Thanks for any help on this.

I doubt there would be any problems but I think it is totally unnecessary to mix them anyway. Why take any chances with "clash" just to see if you can get a very paltry gain in mpg. Use one or the other.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I doubt there would be any problems but I think it is totally unnecessary to mix them anyway. Why take any chances with "clash" just to see if you can get a very paltry gain in mpg. Use one or the other.

This.

The engineers at Chevron know a LOT more than the folks that make MMO and NOBODY will argue that, even the most rabid MMO fans here.
wink.gif

I use a mix of Techron Fuel system cleaner with TC-W3 at every fill up of 15 gallons of gasoline.

I use 3 ounces of each, premixed, in empty Gumout/Regane 6 ounce bottles. Techron for the low dose cleaning at each fill up and TC-W3 for the UCL at each fill up.

IMO....For MMO in the gasoline....it might be better to use MMO as a "stand alone" additive with no Techron or TC-W3.

I use an old 1 qt. Stabil bottle to mix 26 oz. MMO and 6 oz. Techron Plus. This is approximately 80% MMO and 20% Techron Plus.

I use this at the rate of 1/2 oz. per gallon of gas. This gives me a dosage of 0.4 oz. per gallon of MMO (The recommended dosage.) and 0.1 oz. per gallon of Techron. (Approximately the rate that is in Chevron gas.)

I use this in all my vehicles. I've only been doing this for about 6-7 months, but it seems to be working very well.

Originally Posted By: R_W_M
I use this in all my vehicles. I've only been doing this for about 6-7 months, but it seems to be working very well.

What advantages have you noticed in this time?

Like mentioned above, I don't think it would affect anything. What I plan to do, because I picked up some BOGO Techron too, is dose my tanks with MMO or TCW3 in each respective car as usual and save the Techron for the end of my OCI for a shock treatment without MMO or TCW3. We use top tier fuel (Shell) anyway, so adding more PEA, shouldn't be necessary during the OCI.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: R_W_M

What advantages have you noticed in this time?

I can't say that I've seen any measurable results. I do this mostly to keep the fuel system clean and lubricated. (I buy most of my gas at Sam's, so I add my own cleaning agents.) Previously, I added MMO at each fill up and a can of Techron+ approximately every 3,000 miles. I have noticed no change since changing to the maintenance dose of Techron along with the MMO.

That said, all my vehicles are running well and delivering excellent gas mileage. I can't attribute this directly to the MMO/Techron treatment, but I can't discount it either.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will do a regular dose of a whole bottle of Techron on my next tank of gas, run that tank out, then use an 80/20 mix of MMO and Techron and see if I notice any changes.

I don't get the urge to mix. I bought some Lucas Safeguard to counter Ethanol with the "CCABIN" Advance coupon and Techron with the BOGO.

I plan Techron at my 7500 oci and Lucas on occasion. Liking what I see about MMO and the low cost so may use that as well with Lucas in the winter. but not mixing any.

I'm currently using Redline SI-1 in Chevron gas after having cleaned the engine out with a complete BG products induction cleaning at 68K miles. The car runs much better than before, with only minor random vibrations at idle. At my last fill-up I decided to try adding MMO, at the recommended concentration, to the gas and see if there would be any noticeable improvement. The car now has about 84K miles and uses virtually no oil. Results:

Within about 5 miles the engine seemed to be running a little smoother. After about 10-11 miles the engine was definitely running more smoothly and somewhat quieter, especially at idle. The random vibrations at idle seemed to have ceased and my pick-up from a stop seems a little stronger. A test run-up to about 3500 RPM in neutral was noticeably quieter and smoother than before. I'll continue to use the Redline/MMO mix through several fill-ups and see if my mileage improves and report back.

This is obviously not a scientific test, being subjective and seat of the pants, but the results are noticeable and unambiguous to me and so these are valid observations to report. The mileage results should be interesting. My speculation is that the MMO may be acting as a surfactant, if its surface tension is less that gasoline's, and allowing the formation of smaller fuel droplets in the intake charge or that the oil is restoring some of the lubricity that the older pre E10 gasolines had.

Originally Posted By: jimN
I'm currently using Redline SI-1 in Chevron gas after having cleaned the engine out with a complete BG products induction cleaning at 68K miles. The car runs much better than before, with only minor random vibrations at idle. At my last fill-up I decided to try adding MMO, at the recommended concentration, to the gas and see if there would be any noticeable improvement. The car now has about 84K miles and uses virtually no oil. Results:

Within about 5 miles the engine seemed to be running a little smoother. After about 10-11 miles the engine was definitely running more smoothly and somewhat quieter, especially at idle. The random vibrations at idle seemed to have ceased and my pick-up from a stop seems a little stronger. A test run-up to about 3500 RPM in neutral was noticeably quieter and smoother than before. I'll continue to use the Redline/MMO mix through several fill-ups and see if my mileage improves and report back.

This is obviously not a scientific test, being subjective and seat of the pants, but the results are noticeable and unambiguous to me and so these are valid observations to report. The mileage results should be interesting. My speculation is that the MMO may be acting as a surfactant, if its surface tension is less that gasoline's, and allowing the formation of smaller fuel droplets in the intake charge or that the oil is restoring some of the lubricity that the older pre E10 gasolines had.

I think that in some engines a UCL like MMO makes for a slightly better ring seal, which would explain the better idle. I noticed it with my old Aerostar. I've been mixing MMO and Redline FI cleaner for a while now, I like the idea.

You should not need to dose Techron more than 2 tanks at a time.
I see no problems with MMO along with it.

BTW, Techron type additives are in many good fuels anyway, and there is no 'clash'.

I think that in some engines a UCL like MMO makes for a slightly better ring seal, which would explain the better idle. I noticed it with my old Aerostar. I've been mixing MMO and Redline FI cleaner for a while now, I like the idea.[/quote]

What are the amounts of Redline and MMO that you mix? I thought you may have mentioned 3OZ of each one per tank or per 10 gallons... Thanks.

Last edited:
I run 3oz MMO + 2oz Techron every fill for about 3 years now. Don't see much difference in the Avalon, but noticeably in the PT GT-smooth idle and just seems a little stronger all the way out to 6250rpms.
I like it.

I've been dosing my fuel at the concentration of 3oz/10 gal with the Redline SI-1. I've been doing that for the last 20K miles and it seems to be doing well. At the last tank before an oil change I dump in a whole bottle(15 oz) of the Redline, as a "shock" treatment.

Now I'm adding the MMO at the concentration 4oz/10 gal. I'm thinking of premixing the two to achieve the same concentration without having to deal with two bottles at fill up.

Another difference that I've noticed since adding the MMO is that my engine speed stabilizes at the preset fast idle speed on a cold start more quickly. Before, it used to fluctuate around the 1250 RPM computer set speed before settling down.

I was thinking that myself that the oil might be causing a slightly better compression seal at the top rings, resulting in more compression uniformity across the cylinders.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

What are the amounts of Redline and MMO that you mix? I thought you may have mentioned 3OZ of each one per tank or per 10 gallons... Thanks.

I add 12 ounces of RL FI cleaner to a qt of MMO, and use that mix at a rate of 4 ounces/10 gallons of fuel. Just something I decided upon, nothing more. HTH

I have not been able to test my MMO/Techron concoction yet. I have not had to buy gas yet since I dumped in that whole bottle of Techron about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I have noticed that the gas gauge appears to be going down a bit slower than it used to, maybe the Techron has increased my MPG, I will know when I fill up again. My engine seems to run about the same as it did before I added the Techron, can't really tell much difference right now.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

I add 12 ounces of RL FI cleaner to a qt of MMO, and use that mix at a rate of 4 ounces/10 gallons of fuel. Just something I decided upon, nothing more. HTH

Thanks. I may try it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back