NGK G-Power plugs longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I got from their website.

Quote:
FAQs - Spark Plugs

Q: How often should I replace my spark plugs?

A: Unfortunately,there is no single answer to this question. As spark plugs grow older, they lose their sharp edges as material from the center and ground electrodes is slowly eroded away. As the gap between these two points grows, the voltage required to bridge the gap increases proportionately. Even the best ignition systems will be strained to supply enough voltage to completely burn the fuel. It is at this point, when fuel is being left unburned, that the time has come to change spark plugs.

Replacing worn out spark plugs with new ones (with sharp new edges) effectively restores the ignition system's efficiency. Misfires are reduced, power is restored, economy of operation is enhanced and emissions are reduced.

The best guide is the manufacturer's recommendation for your vehicle, as this particular service varies from brand to brand and model to model. In the absence of this information or in conjunction with it, you can rely on the advice of a mechanic who is familiar with your type of vehicle. In the best of all worlds, this would be a mechanic who is also familiar with the vehicle you own. If you find a good mechanic, whether dealer or independent, stick with him. The better he knows your personal vehicle, the better he will be able to diagnose and service it. The end result is very much like a doctor-patient relationship and, in the long run, you will have a healthier vehicle.

I would guess 30,000 miles, or 3 years, but it depends on your engine. NGK is one of the best plug manufacturers in the world. You will have a hard time finding a better plug than NGK or Denso. AC Delco re-brands the NGK double platinum and iridium plugs.

I run 'em in my wife's Camry 30-35k and they look very clean and have a normal gap.

I just took a set of G Powers out of the xB over the weekend. Not sure how long they've been in, as I've had the car for only 10 months and 18k miles. They were beginning to look a little worn, but could have gone a few thousand more miles, I suspect.

Replaced them with NGK V Power, and plan to do those and the PCV valve every 30k miles (every 16 months or so).

got a response from NGK. These are good for 30-40k and their Iridium XI are 40-50k.

Last edited:
I think those are not "Laser" ones. I think this is the NGK version of the infamous Bosch platinum which first came on the market in early nineties. They were marketed very aggressively but folklore says they gave trouble in Japanese cars (I had problems with them in my Honda).

OEM NGK are Laser platinum and have service life of 100K.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
got a response from NGK. These are good for 30-40k and their Iridium XI are 40-50k.

Good to know. I just put a set of G-Power plugs in the wife's '99 Sentra.

I have almost 3 years and 40k miles on G-Power plugs. If I can get around to it, I've been meaning to replace them in my Civic. I'll take some pics if I remember to and will check back in.

Haven't noticed any drivability issues or MPG drops so they might still be fine.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
I just took a set of G Powers out of the xB over the weekend....Replaced them with NGK V Power, and plan to do those and the PCV valve every 30k miles (every 16 months or so).

LOL! backward thinking? (swapping out platinum plugs and replacing it with copper?)

Thought I seen it all but this is one of those ones that intrigued me nevertheless.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
I just took a set of G Powers out of the xB over the weekend....Replaced them with NGK V Power, and plan to do those and the PCV valve every 30k miles (every 16 months or so).

LOL! backward thinking? (swapping out platinum plugs and replacing it with copper?)

Thought I seen it all but this is one of those ones that intrigued me nevertheless.

Q.

Nothing backward about it at all. Like I said, I've had the car for 10 months, driving 18k miles on plugs of unknown mileage or origin (until I pulled 'em).

I went with copper because plugs in the xB are stupid easy to replace, and I decided on more frequent changes as an additional way to keep an eye on the engine's condition. The extra cost of platinum or iridium is wasted money under those conditions, since copper sparks just as well, but doesn't hold up as long.

The only real upside to platinum or iridium plugs is a longer change interval, which is a benefit I'm not interested in at the moment.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
I have almost 3 years and 40k miles on G-Power plugs. If I can get around to it, I've been meaning to replace them in my Civic. I'll take some pics if I remember to and will check back in.

Haven't noticed any drivability issues or MPG drops so they might still be fine.

i think im going to run my g-power to 40k also, that would put me around the time to do my timing belt.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I have well over 30,000 miles on mine.

[Darn]....I have to do something about that now.

Edit: I missed the 90,000 change.
33.gif

I have over 60,000 miles on my G-power plugs.
blush.gif

The orange tipped OE Motorcrafts came out at 30,000 and were replaced by the same. I replaced those with the G-powers at 60,000. I have about 123,000 now. No MIL. No P0300 misfire code. Got the usual 23.5 mpg out of the last tank in mixed driving.

I'm not proud of my neglect. Just really pleased with the longevity of these plugs.

I was considering going back to a double platinum Motorcraft but all the Motorcrafts availiable locally are finewires. If I'm going to run a finewire, I'm sticking with the G-powers.

...and I'm doing it this weekend. Got a 6-pack of Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale and all day Sunday to get the intake manifold off.

Just pulled mine. Approx. 40k, replaced them with NGK Iridium IX (got them BOGO & 40% off). G-Powers don't look too bad, could have run them longer it looks like. These are out of my 1999 Civic EX.

29cw9bk.jpg

I took some individual plug pictures, if anyone wants to see them. I can post them after breakfast.

Not a bad plug for the price.

The Civic VX models ONLY run on the EXACT factory plugs, as far as I know.

So, it's the super cheap V-Power plugs. 4 and it's GTG.

Put some G-Power in previously owned Stratus for fun just to get away from Bosch 'Platinum Plus', but apparently I had mistakenly backed off the spark plug wire and removed the tip on one of the plugs(the part the wire connects to), but oh well just threw in the G-Power anyway. All of this while other issues existed with the vehicle, but finally when those were right, it was smooth as butter. So, I know the G-power worked well just sold the car since.

I've ran copper V-power in civics and changed them yearly; gave me something to do. I never bothered with the G-power as I didn't see any benefit to the platinum plug at my change interval. Then I started running the NGK Iridium IX, liked those, but I still pulled them every year to check on them.

On any newer cars, like my bro's S2000 or the track-prepped miata, we put the Laser Iridium plugs in, slightly better than the IX in that the ground pad is a laser welded platinum from what I understand on the NGK site. The platinum ground pad helps on the miata due to its ignition design which uses a waste-spark I think its called which can cause additional wear on the ground of say the IX plug or the factory coppers. I will continue to use the Laser Iridium where either the laser plats or factory iridium are used so long as there is an Laser Iridium plug made for that app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back