Bosch Premium vs Denso first time fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Denso first time fit instead of my typical Bosch Premium and wanted to know which filter is better for my application. Both have metal end caps, silicone ADBVs and 8 holes in their base plates.

Denso First Time Fit (150-1006)
Cost: $6.59
98% efficiency > 40 microns
Taller & stiffer canister than Bosch.
Linear steel tube

Bosch Premium with Filtech (3312)
Cost: $4.44
99.9% efficiency > 20 microns
Spiral-wound center tube

These are used on my 96 Civic and 02 Acura MDX with Mobil 1 5W-30. OCIs are 10,000 km (6,500 miles) in cold winters and moderate summers. My wife and I drive are pretty tame drivers.

I'd suggest they would both do the job admirably. Both are rather highly regarded here. Go with what's cheapest and/or most easily available.

Speaking of which, where in Canada did you stumble across Denso aftermarket filters?

Originally Posted By: 1604169
I recently purchased a Denso first time fit instead of my typical Bosch Premium and wanted to know which filter is better for my application. Both have metal end caps, silicone ADBVs and 8 holes in their base plates.

Denso First Time Fit (150-1006)
Cost: $6.59
98% efficiency > 40 microns

Bosch Premium with Filtech (3312)
Cost: $4.44
99.9% efficiency > 20 microns

No brainer ... the better filtering performance filter is also the cheaper one.

Originally Posted By: 1604169
Very happy with their service over the past 3 years.

Okay, that explains it. I get my Bosch Premiums from there. They don't stock the Densos for my G, just the Bosch ones. They did stock a lot of Mann, German Bosch, and Mahle for the old Audi. All of them are at a pretty good price.

I've ordered a boatload of stuff from there, too. They kept the Audi running long into old age.

+1 for the BP 3312, PL14459 equivalent. $4.44 is a low price for BP, more than $2 less and better rated efficiency. Also, I believe the BP efficiency is 99.9@ 20um. A minor point perhaps, but with many of the filter's going to the > __um, it does leave some opening to interpretation of spec, imo.

As for can thickness/stiffness, I've never had that be an issue. Unless you regularly go off road, and the filter is located at very bottom of engine, not an issue imo. Based on your stated driving profile, not a factor.

You can see a DENSO FTF that I cut open here. And you can see a Bosch Premium that I cut open here. Both are very good filters. But like ZeeOSix said, the Bosch Premium is cheaper AND has better filtering specs, so I would probably pick it. With that said, the difference in filtering specs isn't really going to make a practical difference. Both will perform just fine for 10K kilometer intervals.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I believe the BP efficiency is 99.9@ 20um. A minor point perhaps, but with many of the filter's going to the > __um, it does leave some opening to interpretation of spec, imo.

Thanks, you are correct.

Other than the stiffer can and the "torque stopper" feature on the Denso FTF, are there any advantages I'm not seeing? Neither of these are worth paying $2 extra for, imo.

I guess I'm old school in thinking the more expensive one must be better in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back