Porsche Cayenne (2011) oil change procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has got a 2011 Cayenne local stealer quoted $400 CDN for oil change. The sump and filter hold about 7 litres at such price he's debating doing his own changes at least between the prescribed (1year 20,000km)intervals but he's wonderning if there is any funky procedures involved (the thing has got no dip-stick for one.
Has any of you ever attempted an OC on such vehicle? If so please share your experience.
Are these vehicles (2011 V6 N/A)known to consume oil??

Thanks
Dominik

Yes there is dashboard icon that shows oil level, but we wonder if there is anything weird involved when doing oil change on such vehicle. To get to the filter it looks like skid plate/shroud has to be removed. If we were to use oil extractor then the plug where dip-stick should have been can be used to shove tube in, but then it might leave some of the dirtiest stuff on the bottom. Not a fan of oil extractors.
Just wonder if anybody here has any experience with it.

Last edited:
I don't know about how an oil extractor works in a Porsche, but it works very well in a Mercedes and many previous BMW engines. The dipstick tube of a MB ends at the bottom of the oil pan, so that the fluid extractor siphon all the oil and nothing is left in the bottom of the oil pan.

Someone tested it in a MB, first he used oil extractor then after it was done he removed the drain bolt and nothing came out.

Go over to http://forums.rennlist.com/ and under water cooled, check out the Cayenne forum. Should be lot's of folks willing to help explain how to do an oil change.

Don't be dismayed, Porsche is trying to make it hard for the DIY'er, but there's always a way around that.
smile.gif

Here's a link to a thread about this - http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/po...=oil+change+DIY

Last edited:
I do not trust extractors. Gravity works very well.

I'd just suggest finding a good indie shop (preferably one that specializes in German cars). They'll probably do it for half what the dealer charges, and you could even BYO oil.

For a start find some Porsche Forums and ask there .
As far as using an extractor they work well if the tube can get to the bottom of the pan .
For a car costing that much I would go with dealer device for the duration of the warranty .

Originally Posted By: Quest
I would spend the $$ on dealership oil change so as to retain proper service records for warranty-related claims.

Q.

Do you?

At $10/liter and $30 for the filter, that still leaves a $300 labor charge. Even though it's a once a year thing, that sounds obscene. Probably staggered wheels so it doesn't include rotation either.

Originally Posted By: user52165
I would spend the $$ on dealership oil change so as to retain proper service records for warranty-related claims.

Q.

Do you?

Just keep the receipts for the oil/filters during warranty. I've owned 4 Porsche's and I never heard of them denying a warranty claim 'cuz the dealer didn't change the oil.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: user52165

Q.

Do you?

Just keep the receipts for the oil/filters during warranty. I've owned 4 Porsche's and I never heard of them denying a warranty claim 'cuz the dealer didn't change the oil.

Yup, it's the law. Thought everyone knew this by now.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
This car is in Canada. They do things differently (somewhat) there.

In practice, it's not very different. The manuals are pretty much the same (except with the addition of a French version if it's not already in the American; we often get English, Spanish, and French - and the units, we usually get both US and metric, not sure about down there). Manual wording and warranty provisions are usually close enough to be the same. The only really weird provisions are in aftermarket warranties, which seems to be similar south of the border.

In any case, there isn't any prohibition on doing one's own oil changes up here, provided one uses the appropriate parts and fluids and can document what was done. Heck, even Pennzoil and Mobil offer the same guarantees on their oils up here.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
If you can spend that much on a car. Why quibble over an oil change. With that kind of sump, the changes can't be that often.

I hate responses like this. Just because the guy/gal owns a $100K+ vehicle doesn't mean they have to get shafted at the stealership for maintenance. You don't purchase a vehicle like that from blowing money away.

And some of us like changing oil and doing our own maintenance. If the dealer wants too much, it's too much. The Infiniti dealer here wants $70 for a conventional oil change. Because I own an Infiniti, I should just suck it up? I almost bought a Porsche instead - same deal?

No one touches the oil in my vehicles until I'm unable to do it myself.

That's a lot of money, even for Porsche. I'm surprised they don't do covered maintenance by now.

There is no vehicle out there whose oil is that hard to change. I would not wait 20,000 kms to do it however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back