New breed of solid lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sugarcoating Tough Challenges ; Slide Role

Motion System Design, October 2002, p.48
Author: Elisabeth Eitel

To combat the problems of free-floating flakes, a new breed of solid lubricant has been developed. The material is a solid powder made from inorganic molybdenum and tungsten disulfide - but not in the conventional flake form. Instead, the structures are tiny multi-walled spheres. Developed by Nano Materials, Inc., New York and called NanoLub, the spheres reduce friction, wear, and temperature, especially at high loads. It also diminishes galling, seizing, and fretting of metal surfaces.

Properties can be tuned via intercalation, the insertion of foreign atoms between nested layers, by a chemical reaction. As they roll against one another, they significantly reduce friction; in fact, as additives to oils and greases they lower friction more than base oils do. They also maintain their friction-fighting properties.

Why don't the nested spheres roll away?
When used as an additive in oils and grease, they are held in place by the two contacting surfaces. When used as a component of an anti-friction coating, they are eld in place by the matrix polymer or metal. In other applications they are used to impregnate metal parts, and so are held in the pores of the metal. The nested-sphere structure and small size mean that lubricate by rolling like miniature ball bearings.

Do they get sticky?
Since they have a spherical shape, they don't stick to lubricated metal surfaces. This is in contrast to the conventional flakes, which sometimes get pinned down or stuck edge-on to surfaces

What does their nested structure do?
If under very heavy loads a surface is abraded away, then a new surface is exposed to continue the lubricating action. It also imparts strength like the wall of a corrugated box or the layers of plywood.

Answers provided by David Kanaan for Nano Materials, Inc. For more information visit www.apnano.com

That's a very interesting link, Jason. Thanks. I wonder what size they are? Are they cost-effective and do they hold up over time? If so, I want them in my oil! I could turn all my plain bearings to roller bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back