75w140 instead of 75w90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 extended cab. 75W90 is the recommended rear diff oil.

I dont pull a trailer alot but it does get very hot here in Louisiana. Would 75W140 give better protection/longer bearing/gear life?

Or should I just refill with 75w90?

Thanks!

I'd drain/refill with 75w-90. The rear differential is generally the last thing you need to worry about killing in a truck that doesn't haul/tow heavy loads on a very regular basis.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. If I am remembering correctly, GM put synthetic gear oil in their pickups from the beginning. Don't quote me on that though.

Originally Posted By: Jake_Wade
I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 extended cab. 75W90 is the recommended rear diff oil.

I dont pull a trailer alot but it does get very hot here in Louisiana. Would 75W140 give better protection/longer bearing/gear life?

Thanks!

No. Use Amsoil 75W-110.

Instead of spending 20 a qt on the 140, spend 10 a qt on the 90 and change it twice as often if you feel the need. There is no pint in going 'thicker' u less your overall driving habits would benefit from it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Thanks!

No. Use Amsoil 75W-110.

+1

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Instead of spending 20 a qt on the 140, spend 10 a qt on the 90 and change it twice as often if you feel the need. There is no pint in going 'thicker' u less your overall driving habits would benefit from it.

Walmart has 75W-140 for about $11.50/quart.

my two favs are mobil 1 and amsoil. i've also used valvoline syn, but the mobil and amsoil actually have a different "feel" and the pedal... hard to describe, which I didn't get with valvoline. I run the amsoil 110 in a vehicle spec'ed for 140 and it's been a great fluid. by that I mean I've done some wheeling with it, lots of tire spin on rough climbs, and fluid always looks clean when I check it.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I have a 2001 GMC similar to yours. I have tried a few different 75w-90 oils, and I think Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 is one of the best. I have not tried RedLine, but I might try it on the next change. I don't like Valvoline or Mobil-1. The factory fill also works great, but I don't know who makes it, and it costs too much from the dealer.

You will need 2-1/2 quarts for the rear and 2 quarts for the front. The front takes 80w-90 dino, but you can use 75w90 synthetic. I changed my front differential to synthetic, but didn't get any mileage increase.

Originally Posted By: LckydevL

I would think the only reason to go to 75w140 would be that you tow a heavy trailer most of the time.

I did it per Jeep's recommendations for towing with a Cherokee. (Defaulkt recommendation is 75W-90.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back