Mobil1 5w30, 8700mi, 07 Solstice GXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA. I have about 200 autocross runs and 50 drag strip passes on the car. The car has a slightly larger turbo, multiple dyno tunes, and some "breather mods".
File.jpg

I am obviously concerned about the lead. Since this is my only car, and I don't feel like having expensive maintenance done on my car, I would like to have another sample analyzed. I changed the oil and filter while taking the sample. How many miles is the minimum that I should drive before taking another sample to insure that the results are not just a one time thing? What could cause that lead number other than bearings? I took the sample from the drain. I collected it after the oil was draining for about a minute. That was the third oil change since installing the new turbo. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Iron seems high at 54, even for M1. And yeah, you need to figure out what caused that lead reading. I don't think I've ever seen a result anywhere near that high.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Iron seems high at 54, even for M1. And yeah, you need to figure out what caused that lead reading. I don't think I've ever seen a result anywhere near that high.

+1

No fuel additives. I did run a half can of seafoam through the intake just after the previous oil change(the beginning of the sample period).

looks like you have some trashed bearings.

If has to be more cost effective to fix it now.. than to wait till the whole engine blows

a normal lead number is something like 0-5... maybe 10-15~~ on select engines.

You would have to change the oil 2-3 times just to get the residual lead down to a decent number.

ie the 1/2 quart of oil floating around has so much in it.. even with your fresh oil you will probably see 50-100 lead in it.

Last edited:
Is this the direct-injected/turbocharged motor? And you're running a larger turbo? How's the tune - do you know specifics? Does it run richer/leaner than the stock tune while tooling around town and while hammering on it at the track? I didn't see fuel % in this report.

Could try putting a heavier oil in it (Mobil 1 0w-40, Rotella T6 5w-40, etc.) AND run a shorter interval (5000 miles max) and see if things improve. This UOA isn't a death sentence. Do you have an oil pressure/oil temp gauge? EGT gauge?

Last edited:
The tune runs slightly richer than stock. It's a relatively mild tune. It puts out only a few more PSI than stock. I have a oil pressure and oil temp gauge. When the engine is up to temp the oil is at about 175 deg F. The oil sits at about 19-20 PSI at idle and 55ish at WOT.

You didn't say if you went with M1 5w30 again, but it didn't hold up very well for your application. Admittedly that is way too many miles for the conditions, but even aside from the crazy metal numbers the 100C cSt of 8.8 is lower than M1 5w20. I don't follow how they can state viscosity is in operating range, unless they mean GM specs 20 weight.

I would send in a sample by 2000 mi at the most to see how it's doing this time.

Hmmmm....that OP seems a little low for the Ecotec. Unless it changed with the DI. I can't check till I get home but IIRC I'm thinking minimum 50 PSI @ 1000 RPM when up to temp. Unless there's a big jump from idle to 1000RPM I think a little heavier is in order or something else is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back