04 Saturn Ion Cooling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is overheating when AC is on in stop and go traffic. With warmer temps right around the corner I need to fix this ASAP. I checked the relays and fuses and they are fine. Anyone with info on this car? I've done some searching any havent found the common problem. Guessing I need to test at the connector to see if the fan is getting any juice. If so the fan motor must be burnt out....correct?

yep, test at the connector for voltage. If you have voltage, it could be the fan motor. If you don't have voltage, maybe the coolant temp sensor?

faulty sending unit? Do you have access to a scanner? Double check the wiring going to the fan. And pull the plug to the fan, temporarily wire it to see if the motor is good.

Last edited:
how do I temporarily wire the fan? just run a cable from pos terminal of battery to connector on fan??? I'm not an electrical guy at all.

Yup.. also found a pic of the possible location of the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) from redlineforums.com - lover left hand corner of the pic - brass sensor with black plastic top for the connector. That whole housing is where the thermostat is.

0430080002.jpg

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/problems-troubleshooting/43301-location-ect-sensor.html

The fan should come on whenever the A/C compressor is engaged. The suggestions about checking the coolant temperature sensor are good, but I think if the fan doesn't turn on when the compressor is engaged, you have a mechanical problem with the fan/motor/relay itself.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
how do I temporarily wire the fan? just run a cable from pos terminal of battery to connector on fan??? I'm not an electrical guy at all.

You can wire the fan do be on all the time, but you would want to do it through a relay, triggered by a wire connected to the IGN circuit in your fuse box. That way, whenever the ignition is on, the fan comes on. If you hard-wired it to the battery, it'd run all the time, even after the car is turned off.

gotcha Hokie, I was just talking about for testing purposes. Time to go to the eye doctor then work on the Saturn. Hopefully ya'lls tips will fix her up.

BTW it's hard on your AC to run it without airflow over the condensor. It'll blow cooler when you fix the fan.

yeah, I only run the AC now when I'm moving. I don't do too much stop and go driving.

Went to the eye Dr. and she had to dilate my pupils so I couldn't work on the car
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back