AW 1 spec'd Fluid for an Aisin 6 speed Auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmk

I asked this a while ago but didn't get a response.

Was wondering exactly what auto tranny fluids might have this. Note that the Toyota T IV and JS3309 is NOT the same spec or the equivalent.
I've used the Saab oem fluid but would like to use a more readily available one.

The OEM fluids don't really specify if they are AW 1 spec'd, just their own specs. This is for Ford, Volvo, Saturn, etc.
It would be great if the Ford Premium ATF would say it but just has the Ford spec whatever that is...

Look forward to some good replies. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
The dipstick on the AW trans in my Fusion has T-IV engraved right on it.

Interesting, what does Ford spec for it?

Ford specs Motorcraft "Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid", which is actually rebadged Mobil 3309, which is also what T-IV is. Interestingly, Toyota sells T-IV for almost half what Ford gets for their flavour.

The Ford spec is some long # Ford specifies, not JS3309 or other industry spec, just their own which makes it more confusing.

And why do say that it's just re-badged Mobil 3309? Do you have any documentation or links for that?
Again the AW 1 spec is NOT the same as JS3309. The JS3309 is for the 5 speeds and Aisin says AW 1 for the 6 speed.

I also realize many of the dipsticks say T IV. I wonder if that is just generic.

Here is a link for the Saab oem fluid. The 5 speed is a separate fluid from Saab.

I wonder if Volvo has 2 different fluids?
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165147

Last edited:
my 6 speed aisin in the mazda specs 3309, I wish someone would make a good synthetic 3309 spec. Not a Universal atf that meets 3309 but one created specifically for 3309 im not a one type of atf meets all believer.

Last edited:
Volvo uses 3309/T-IV in their AW automatics same as Ford and Mazda. The Toyota fluid, the Ford fluid, the Mazda fluid and the Volvo fluid are all the same.

Does Volvo use the same fluid for both the 5 speed and 6 speed? And wouldn't the Ford be the AW 1 fluid as they only use the 6 speed with the AW 1 spec and not the 5 speed spec'd JS 3309?

The Ford fluid is 3309. Volvo used the same for 5 and 6 speed AW trans, which is 3309/T-IV, mine is a manual, but that is what I hear the sloshbox drivers report.

Notice the Mazda bottle where is says 3309 and T-IV is identical.

0420000843.jpg

Thanks for posting that.

I still can't figure out why Aisin has the AW 1 spec for 6 speeds and JS3309 for the 5 speed?

And if this is the case I guess I could use the Ford Premium fluid with no issues at all on my '09 Saab 6 speed then?

Originally Posted By: dmk
And if this is the case I guess I could use the Ford Premium fluid with no issues at all on my '09 Saab 6 speed then?

You could, but it costs a lot. MSRP is US$8.25 a quart for the Ford fluid.

What would you suggest? $8 is pretty cheap as the oem fluids are over $20.

And who makes these Volvo, Mazda, Ford, etc. fluids? The Saab fluid is made in Germany strangely.

Most of the 3309 versions are made by Exxon Mobil.

The Toyota branded 3309/T-04 is supposedly the cheapest out there. If you get the Ford fluid, call ahead and make sure the dealer has it in stock, XT-8-QAW is the part number from Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back