Anybody have 2004 BMW 5 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about it buying 2004 BMW 5 series n it had 140,000 miles on it. I heard BMW have to many problems should I pass on? I just need your advice.

I would avoid a 2004 (first year made) unless you can get a very good extended warrenty that covers all electronics. The first year did have a lot of problems with the electronics not to mention the lack of "old school" maintaintance. for example, oil changes every 15,000 miles is considered by many not good for BMW engines.

I guess if it has made it to 140k, some attention must have been given to the cooling system and suspension.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I guess if it has made it to 140k, some attention must have been given to the cooling system and suspension.

You would hope...but I see lots of high-end German cars in the used market around here (sailors love them..) and many are hopelessly neglected...and end up costing their owners a fortune...

It is usually the second owner who suffers. The third owner suffers even more when the second owner uses the local gas station for "factory" service. There is nothing M. Mouse about these cars, but they are complicated and, of course, overpriced when new. You are paying for mechanical sophistication we here in the US seldom get to use.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

being a BMW I almost bet the cooling system was repaired at least once.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I'm thinking about it buying 2004 BMW 5 series n it had 140,000 miles on it. I heard BMW have to many problems should I pass on? I just need your advice.

How familiar are you with BMWs? Are you willing to poke around various BMW forums and DIY? If not, the upkeep costs may give you a rude awakening, regardless if the car was well maintained or not. But if it was not, it'll hurt even more.

Go with a lower mileage one if you can - Perhaps a bit more $ but just more peace of mind, not having to wonder/guess and knowing that what should be taken care of, CAN be taken care of before stuff happens (IE cooling system, etc)

They want $15,000 n I think I should avoid 2004 model n look into 2005 or 2006. I know cost off taken care of this car would be to high. I guess I'll look around more with low mileage.

They want $15,000

That's nuts! Even with lower miles, this car is not worth anywhere near this amount, unless it's in spotless mint condition and was meticulously maintained.

Which specific 5-series model was it? 525i? 530i? 545i?

I did a little bit research n this is what I found;

2006 X5 91k= $17k

2006 525xi 91k= $18

2006 525i 64k= $16,981

2007 525i 81k= $18k

I feel like going look at 2006 525i 64k= $16,981 Tommor. It there anything I should look into that car n how much should I offers them it'll be likely monthly payments?

Okay I'll check that out. Is this car worth it for $16,981 or how much should I offer them?

1. Check to see if they have all the maintenance records for it before even considering the purchase.

2. See if they will give you some kind of warranty on it.

3. Don't think about buying it unless you know a good BMW mechanic, have deep pockets or are mechanically inclined. They are beautiful cars that are well engineered but the dealer will rape you for service, and some of the repairs that the car might require will cost a LOT of money to have a dealer perform.

4. Assuming all of the above is in good standing, I'm thinking that car MIGHT be worth 10K? My sister bought her '03 330i with less than half that mileage for 12.

Is this car worth it for $16,981 or how much should I offer them?

It really depends on the condition of the car and maintenance history. If you're serious about this car, do a PPI to uncover any potential problems and use the results as a bargaining tool to negotiate the price down.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

4. Assuming all of the above is in good standing, I'm thinking that car MIGHT be worth 10K?

I think he was referring to the 2006 with 64K miles. If the car is in good shape, it's probably worth around $15K.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

4. Assuming all of the above is in good standing, I'm thinking that car MIGHT be worth 10K?

I think he was referring to the 2006 with 64K miles. If the car is in good shape, it's probably worth around $15K.

U are right u see my point lol. I'll look at records n offer them $15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back