MSDS' and CAS'

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't unless you know the extent of the processing of the oil.

As stated elsewhere, an MSDS does not tell you much about the formulation. An MSDS is primarily for Medical and Environmental purposes.

I understand the point of the MSDS.
grin.gif
But it's also a good tool to get an idea of an oil's content, although not to a great extent. Correct?

The MSDS for Chevron ATF says 80-100% 64742-54-7 Distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic.

Would the term "hydrotreated" be enough to assume this oil was a Group II? Or is this not specific enough.

-T

For you MSDS watchers, here are some base oils and additives with CAS numbers with descriptions:

Mineral Paraffininc Base Oil - 64742-54-7; VI of +94 to 120, any group.

Mineral Naphthenic Base Oil - 64741-96-4; VI of -15, any group.

Mineral Aromatic Base Oil - 64742-03-7; VI of -185, any group.

Hydrotreated paraffininc, heavy - 64742-52-5
Hydrotreated paraffinic, light - 64742-53-6

PAO's: 68649-12-7, 68037-01-4, 163149-29-9, 151006-63-2, 151006-62-1, 151006-60-9. VII's of +155 or greater.

Diester - 28472-97-1; VII's average +170.

VII Copolymers - 127883-08-3

Additives:
ZDDP Type Adds: 68649-42-3, XXXXX-46-6.

Calcium Sulfonates: 61789-86-4

Moly Dithiophosphate - 68958-92-7 or 68958-92-9

Moly Disulfide Powders - 1317-33-5

Far be it from me to disagree with Molakule, but in my early days of "oil mania" when I did extensive research on CAS#s, I determined that 64742-54-7 was in fact the number for hydrocracked/hydrotreated base oils, be they Group II, II+, or III. Solvent extracted/dewaxed oils had a different CAS#. I got this directly off one of the database services listed on the Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) website.

64742-54-7 is a generic CAS number for paraffininc base oils; I don't disagree with you Gman and you may be correct.

The CAS numbers I listed are not all inclusive, but are basic CAS numbers.

Here is what happens: EM, Chevron or Shell or whomever will come out with an oil (hydrotreated, isomerized, etc) and have it CAS registered with a different (new) number.

I.E., New oils produced under a specific process may have new CAS numbers.

If any BITOG members have documented information of new CAS numbers and their Process/Group Types, please feel free to post. BITOG is an informational exchange and educational site.

For example, I recently received a mineral base oil for evaluation that carries 8 CAS numbers for a mix of various Group Oils with many new CAS numbers. Unfortunately, the CAS number is not equated to the specific process type.

[ July 16, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

BTW,

The designation of Paraffinic, Naphthenic, or Aromatic simply describes the structure of the mineral oil molecule. It has nothing to do with waxes, solvents, or being smelly.

Arrggg

Approximately 75 CAS numbers for mineral base oils , Parraffinic Hydrocarbons "PAO " and various lube Esters would not line up .

I'll try again later

[ December 30, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Thanks for bumping this back up joee. I'm one of those freaks that looks for things like this. lol.
cheers.gif

looking to learn more to determine the oil group used. is PAO group IV described as a parraffinic hydrocarbons. looking at an Amsoil MSDS for 5-30 signature series showing CAS 64742-54-7 + 64742-65-0 base oils 30% 60%. is that the percentages of each base oil listed? thanks in advance, this is very interesting!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
looking to learn more to determine the oil group used. is PAO group IV described as a parraffinic hydrocarbons. looking at an Amsoil MSDS for 5-30 signature series showing CAS 64742-54-7 + 64742-65-0 base oils 30% 60%. is that the percentages of each base oil listed? thanks in advance, this is very interesting!!!

No, PAO is not Paraffinic hydrocarbons.

PAO, at least on the Mobil MSDS shows up as:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED and has a CAS # of 68037-01-4

The designation of Paraffinic, Naphthenic, or Aromatic simply describes the molecular structure of oil molecules.

It has nothing to do with waxes, solvents, or being smelly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The designation of Paraffinic, Naphthenic, or Aromatic simply describes the molecular structure of oil molecules.

It has nothing to do with waxes, solvents, or being smelly.

Thanks for the clarification
thumbsup2.gif

Actually, PAO is a synthesized paraffinic hydrocarbon.

Would they describe it as that though (compared to how XOM describes it)? I ask because the first CAS # he listed corresponds to your post from the first page under the non-PAO base oils:

A chemist would differentiate.

For hypermarketing purposes, one would attempt to distance themselves from the publicly perceived term, "paraffinic."

Again, let me emphasize:

Quote:
The CAS numbers I listed are not all inclusive, but are basic CAS numbers.

Here is what happens: EM, Chevron or Shell or whomever will come out with an oil (hydrotreated, isomerized, etc) and have it CAS registered with a different (new) number.

I.E., New oils produced under a specific process may have new CAS numbers.

If any BITOG members have documented information of new CAS numbers and their Process/Group Types, please feel free to post. BITOG is an informational exchange and educational site.

For example, I recently received a mineral base oil for evaluation that carries 8 CAS numbers for a mix of various Group Oils with many new CAS numbers. Unfortunately, the CAS number is not equated to the specific process type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Actually, PAO is a synthesized paraffinic hydrocarbon.

Would they describe it as that though (compared to how XOM describes it)? I ask because the first CAS # he listed corresponds to your post from the first page under the non-PAO base oils:

From a paper, Synthetic Lubricant Basestock Processes and Products, by Margaret Wu (Exxon Mobil R&D), Suzzy Ho (Exxon Mobil Chemical Company, Synthetic Division), T. Forbus (Valvoline R&D):

Section 3.1.1:
Quote:
...Fractions containing C30 and higher oligomers are then hydrogenated to yield fully saturated paraffinic PAO...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back