Bosch Oil Condition Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bosch has developed a multi functional oil sensor for spark-ignition and diesel engines which not only supplies accurate information on the oil level but also on the condition of the lube-oil in use. Changing intervals can now be optimally timed on the basis of this information, since a required oil change needs only be done if the oil is in fact no longer serviceable. This saves money and causes less pollution. Another benefit: The information supplied by the sensor also provides an insight into the engine condition. This way, it is possible to detect technical defects at an early stage, thus preventing engine damage. Also, previously conducted readings with a plunger to get the oil level are no longer necessary.
Lube-oil wears out at different rates depending on various factors such as individual driving mode, frequency of cold starts, fuel quality or ambient temperature. Nowadays, on-board computers in many standard vehicles calculate the oil condition on the basis of these factors. The new Bosch sensor, on the other hand, determines the actual current condition of the lube-oil by measuring its viscosity, temperature and electrical parameters. Based on this data, an optimal timing for an oil change becomes much more precise and reliable than previously.

Bosch plans to equip standard vehicles with the oil condition sensor as of 2003.

-

[ July 02, 2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

My info is that Shirley Schwartz of GM invented this sensor.

She has many papers in LE and SAE describing the sensor.

What's the latest on this? I see it hasn't been posted / updated since July '02.
This forum could do a bulk order! BITOG members could get a discount or be the first 1000 owners or something
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rob-the-oil-nut:
What's the latest on this? I see it hasn't been posted / updated since July '02.
This forum could do a bulk order! BITOG members could get a discount or be the first 1000 owners or something
cool.gif

Make that 1006. See my member number.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back