Repower my Honda HR214?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Honda HR214 is getting tired. She can fog the entire block on start up. It quits smoking after about 30 seconds and it runs like a fine watch. My brother wants to buy me a new mower as a wedding present but this new stuff looks like junk and they all have a fixed throttle. I just want to repower my old HR214. The thing is in immaculate condition it just has about a bajillion hours on it. It starts on the first pull every time and mows just fine. It does not seem to be down on power so I suspect it needs seals on the valves.

Do I take it in for repair work to get the seals replaced or do I repower it? Or do I sell it on craigslist and take the new one?

Last I looked, the new Honda mowers still had throttle controls, but you won't find the nice aluminum deck anymore.

I'd run 15w40, or even 20w50 engine oil in it to see if that reduces the smoking and consumption. It should.

Repowering with a Honda GC series or a Chonda is always an option. I don't think you'll find a small pushmower GX series anymore, atleast not for a price that's not insane.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
My old Honda HR214 is getting tired. She can fog the entire block on start up. It quits smoking after about 30 seconds and it runs like a fine watch. My brother wants to buy me a new mower as a wedding present but this new stuff looks like junk and they all have a fixed throttle. I just want to repower my old HR214. The thing is in immaculate condition it just has about a bajillion hours on it. It starts on the first pull every time and mows just fine. It does not seem to be down on power so I suspect it needs seals on the valves.

Do I take it in for repair work to get the seals replaced or do I repower it? Or do I sell it on craigslist and take the new one?

My Dad has an old HR194 (19 inch, 4 hp) so possibly the exact same engine. It was burning oil just like yours so he brought it to me for service. I tore it apart and everything looked perfect inside. I took the parts to my local Honda shop for the mechanic to measure up the bore but he said that was pointless, and I should just get it bored and order oversize piston/rings. So that's what I did, got oversize from Honda, then dropped off the block and piston at the boring shop for them to bore accordingly, and to clean up the valve and seats. Put it all back together and it still burns oil when cold, but not when it warms up. My advice, if it looks good and there are no scuffs in the bore, just get new OEM rings for it and leave the piston. I'm sure I would have been better off just re-ringing Dad's. I should not have listened to the mechanic who said to bore it out without first measuring to see if it needed it. Very simple engine to take apart and re-build. Make sure parts are still available before disassembling. I did Dad's about 6 years ago.

I spent a few hours reading last night and the internet consensus is that when these old Honda engines start to smoke that the rings are toast. I can order rings for $20. I just need to find a shop manual for it.

I spent a few hours reading last night and the internet consensus is that when these old Honda engines start to smoke that the rings are toast. I can order rings for $20. I just need to find a shop manual for it.

One of these should work.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_pppn=v3&...&_kw=manual

Often with Honda OPE, the exact same engine gets different hp ratings just by using a different carb.

Sure, but you'll need new gaskets, bearings, etc.. Plus should hone the cylinder.

Just keep in mind there's more to it than a set of rings and a manual my man.
smile.gif

Joel

Last edited:
I have 2 NOS Honda engines - GXV120. Bought them as spares for my HR194 and the same as used on the HR214. Well 25 years after buying the mower, it still doesn't need any new parts......... religious maintenance. Bought a HR215 later since it is self propelled. One engine is in the original Honda box, the other is missing the box. If interested, contact me. Neither has the shaft output for the self propel....... push only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back