What is the best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure blackstone did a good job doing the count.

Changing the air filter or not impacts the dirt that gets into the oil.

In order for testing to be more accurate, imho, the air filter needs to have the same service life on it. Because normal oil analysis shows the longer you run an air filter the lower the silicon ( dirt) counts go. A new air filter will allow more dirt through. So the second test when the new air filter was used, should show higher particle counts regardless of filter used. And the first test might be skewed because the air filter was nearer it's service life.

If you really wanted comparable testing use one new air filter and the same oil filter brand for the three tests. Then change the air filter and use the second brand for three tests. Then compare. That would be a slightly more accurate comparision.

Just like one oil sample doesn't really tell you much. It is thru multiple sample testing where the comparisons show a better value.

But that was a good start.

Originally Posted By: Filter guy
... In order for testing to be more accurate, imho, the air filter needs to have the same service life on it. Because normal oil analysis shows the longer you run an air filter the lower the silicon ( dirt) counts go ...

Good .. good point! Didn't realize or think of this.

Doug

Si levels look pretty consistent and relatively low between the three analytical runs at 9, 13 and 17 ppm. The lowest value was with original air filter using the stock sized microgreen filter. The next was after replacement of the air filter and with the K&N oil filter. The last value was with the oversized microgreen oil filter and continuation with the replacement air filter. Interesting that the highest Si value also correlated with the lowest particle count.

Btw..I happen to think the microgreen filter says what it does on the tin. Does a better job of removing 2 micron particles.

I am just curious as to how good is all.

Further if they were smarter..
wink.gif
.... they would promote that they filter the 10-25 micron particles better. Those are the ones that are the primary problem which causes engine wear.

Filtering 2 micron is nice but those particles aren't the ones causing as much of the problem.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Which filter has the best filter media? Highest efficiency filtering smallest micron particles.

PureOne: 99.9% @ 20 microns.

This is even better than some of full synthetic filters like Amsoil and RP?

I am due for an OC when the weather gets nice. I want to splurge on a filter that will actually catch something. I've used Puro Plus, P1, Motorcraft, Napa Silver and they all come too clean. I wonder if a higher efficiency filter will catch more.

could someone elaborate on this? At face value it would appear that multiple 'middle range' OTS paper filters are able to outperform $12,$13 and $15 filters.

Originally Posted By: blmlozz
Which filter has the best filter media? Highest efficiency filtering smallest micron particles.

I am due for an OC when the weather gets nice. I want to splurge on a filter that will actually catch something. I've used Puro Plus, P1, Motorcraft, Napa Silver and they all come too clean. I wonder if a higher efficiency filter will catch more.

could someone elaborate on this? At face value it would appear that multiple 'middle range' OTS paper filters are able to outperform $12,$13 and $15 filters.

That's probably true ... that's why we hang out here and talk about oil filters every day, so people can come to some kind of consensus what filters are better than others.

Originally Posted By: blmlozz

Yup. Glass media filters are designed for extended drains. The dense glass media has the ability to hold a greater volume of contaminants. This does not mean they are more efficient than a cellulose filter. In fact, due to their greater holding capacity, they will be less efficient than their cellulose counterparts in the multi-pass test because their efficiency won't increase anywhere near as quickly due to load up.

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
The lowest value was with original air filter using the stock sized microgreen filter. The next was after replacement of the air filter and with the K&N oil filter. The last value was with the oversized microgreen oil filter...

How did you find an oversized microGreen oil filter for your vehicle?

Originally Posted By: pjf
Originally Posted By: Cyclops
The lowest value was with original air filter using the stock sized microgreen filter. The next was after replacement of the air filter and with the K&N oil filter. The last value was with the oversized microgreen oil filter...

How did you find an oversized microGreen oil filter for your vehicle?

There's a place that modifies the oil filter adapter plate for a larger filter on the ford focus or duratec motor. The good thing about this is while others have added a longer length filter using the standard thread, the longer filter is susceptible of getting hit with potential of giving severe damage. This filter adapter allows for a filter of the same length but nearly twice the diameter. Great mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back