What is the best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BTW - doubt you're going to find any filters that are better than 99.9% @ 20 microns unless you start using a 5 micron bypass filter setup.

I didn't realize P1 had that rating. I tried it once back when they were still in the blue cans. Didn't think it was anything special. But I just found an oversized one (PL20195) that has caught my attention at the moment.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Thanks for the reply!

So wix filter and purolator pureone can handle 10k km oci easily?

No problem for either of them.

I was just wondering what would be the best oil filter to use with synthetic oil for a 10k km OCI max?

Thanks!

If you want the best regardless its probably the Amsoil Ea line. But overkill for a 10K run.

A Mobil 1 or D+ would be an excellent for a 10K run.

i have been reading this site for 3 1/5 years, it seems to me all filters are good enough, but frams lowest priced one.

you'll get all kinds of opinions but personally I am a purolator fan.

They have some great filters at great prices, and my Pure One has been going great for over 7k now. I've heard of them running to 10k or more and performing great. At $6.99 or so they are a great value, much better value than those "long distance" filters, which are great, but expensive!

Originally Posted By: morris
i have been reading this site for 3 1/5 years, it seems to me all filters are good enough, but frams lowest priced one.

FRAMs lowest price one good enough and works fine.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: morris

FRAMs lowest price one good enough and works fine.

Sorry folks...disagree with both of you!

Originally Posted By: pjf
I was just wondering what would be the best oil filter to use with synthetic oil for a 10k km OCI max?

Thanks!

MicroGreen (http://www.microgreenfilter.com/) claims to be able to filter 2-micron particles. At least one member of this forum has tested his oil and found fewer particles in his used oil. His results are posted here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2359966

$30 for an oil filter is almost unbelievable.

Quote:
Fram Extended Guard.

(Oh yes, I said it.)

+1. Also Bosch D+, Mobil 1, Wix...

By the way, having used the "Orange Can of Death" for hundreds of thousands of miles (changed every 3,000 miles), I'll have to state that the perceived risk of using the low end Fram filter is much over stated!!!

Originally Posted By: Dakir

Thanks!

MicroGreen (http://www.microgreenfilter.com/) claims to be able to filter 2-micron particles. At least one member of this forum has tested his oil and found fewer particles in his used oil. His results are posted here:

It's a 2 pack though. So it's more like $15 each.

I've just received a $30 box of two microGreen filters. It is a direct replacement for my OEM filter. While $15 per filter sounds high, it is cheaper than other 2-micron filters that require bulky bypass systems.

Other 2-micron filters that I've looked at are from Frantz and Amsoil and Pareto Point. I admire the Frantz toilet paper filter medium but installation requires punching a hole in your valve cover or oil pan for the return. The Amsoil system requires finding room in your engine compartment for two outboard filters, one coarse filter and one fine filter. The Pareto Point system has a great bypass design that allows you to continue to use your OEM filter but still requires a second outboard filter.

I've considered using the Pareto Point bypass system with the Frantz toilet paper canister. That will forego punching holes in my engine and allow me to use toilet paper as a filtration medium and save money in the long run. However, I don't know how to explain all that to my wife. If I simply pay $30 for a couple of filters once in a while, life can be much easier to explain.

I've just received a $30 box of two microGreen filters. It is a direct replacement for my OEM filter. While $15 per filter sounds high, it is cheaper than other 2-micron filters that require bulky bypass systems.

Other 2-micron filters that I've looked at are from Frantz and Amsoil and Pareto Point. I admire the Frantz toilet paper filter medium but installation requires punching a hole in your valve cover or oil pan for the return. The Amsoil system requires finding room in your engine compartment for two outboard filters, one coarse filter and one fine filter. The Pareto Point system has a great bypass design that allows you to continue to use your OEM filter but still requires a second outboard filter.

I've considered using the Pareto Point bypass system with the Frantz toilet paper canister. That will forego punching holes in my engine and allow me to use toilet paper as a filtration medium and save money in the long run. However, I don't know how to explain all that to my wife. If I simply pay $30 for a couple of filters once in a while, life can be much easier to explain.

2 micron filter?

You are aware every oil filter on the market is a 2 micron filter.

Can you provie the efficiency of the microGreen filter for 2 micron? or beta ratio @ 2 micron?

Back in the day, as they say, STP used to offer a Double Oil filter. Similar theory of having two different type medias within the filter can. Just maybe not touted as --"down to 2 micron".

Originally Posted By: Filter guy

2 micron filter?

You are aware every oil filter on the market is a 2 micron filter.

Can you provie the efficiency of the microGreen filter for 2 micron? or beta ratio @ 2 micron?

I didn't see any beta ratio or efficiency numbers shown, but didn't look at the entire website. Looks like they had is tested per ISO test standards. Maybe someone cold email them for the test result beta ratios.

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/design/

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/testing/

Look at the figures in this post
(http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2359966):

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
I'm pleased with Microgreen results. I wasn't sure if their integrated bypass system worked or a scam but I liked the idea so I tested particle counts comparing Microgreen with a K&N using identical oil and driving routine. Microgreen did extremely well. My latest run was over 15k miles. If I continue at 15k intervals, cost isn't bad.

Micron particle size and respective counts/ml. Note, first count value represent oem size microgreen filter, second is oem size K&N and third is an oversized mircogreen filters. First and second count had ~12,000miles, whereas, third is with 15,458miles. First two counts is with RedLine 5w20 and third with oversize filter with 0w20 Redline. Car is a 2009 Focus.

>=2: 1085,, 2878,, 833
>=5: 402,, 1066,, 308
>=10: 111,, 295,, 85
>=15: 43,, 114,, 33
>=25: 10,, 27,, 7
>=50: 1,, 2,, 0
>=100: 0,, 0,, 0

Doug

Comparted to the K&N filter, it appears that the microGreen filter reduced the number of particles in the UOA to 40% of its former count (from 2878 to 1085).

For particles that are between 2-microns and 5-microns in size, the reduction is also to 40% of its former count (from 1812 to 683).

Here's how I calculated the number of particles between 2 and 5 microns in size:
microGreen: 1085 - 402 = 683
K&N filter: 2878 - 1066 = 1812

Originally Posted By: Dakir

Thanks!

Agreed, i get mine now for $3.27 for a Puralator P12222 at wallyworld..

Look at the figures in this post
(http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2359966):

Originally Posted By: Cyclops
I'm pleased with Microgreen results. I wasn't sure if their integrated bypass system worked or a scam but I liked the idea so I tested particle counts comparing Microgreen with a K&N using identical oil and driving routine. Microgreen did extremely well. My latest run was over 15k miles. If I continue at 15k intervals, cost isn't bad.

Micron particle size and respective counts/ml. Note, first count value represent oem size microgreen filter, second is oem size K&N and third is an oversized mircogreen filters. First and second count had ~12,000miles, whereas, third is with 15,458miles. First two counts is with RedLine 5w20 and third with oversize filter with 0w20 Redline. Car is a 2009 Focus.

>=2: 1085,, 2878,, 833
>=5: 402,, 1066,, 308
>=10: 111,, 295,, 85
>=15: 43,, 114,, 33
>=25: 10,, 27,, 7
>=50: 1,, 2,, 0
>=100: 0,, 0,, 0

Doug

Comparted to the K&N filter, it appears that the microGreen filter reduced the number of particles in the UOA to 40% of its former count (from 2878 to 1085).

For particles that are between 2-microns and 5-microns in size, the reduction is also to 40% of its former count (from 1812 to 683).

Here's how I calculated the number of particles between 2 and 5 microns in size:
microGreen: 1085 - 402 = 683
K&N filter: 2878 - 1066 = 1812

I would be curious as to how he did his particle counts. I would be curious as to when he changed his air filter.

In a lab they count the particles going into a filter and the particles coming out. This ISO test is run over time. And where very few people actually understand how a beta ratio test is noted, the value is "worst case".

So let's say a test is run for 60 minutes with particle counts tested every 5 minutes. And the worst case scenario is not at the 5 minute mark or the first test point. In fact it rarely is. So the question begs, if as a filter plugs and your thought process is that it gets more efficient the dirtier it gets, how can the worst case scenario happen at some point later in the test rather than at the first sample point?

Particle counts were done by Blackstone.

Air filter? Original air filter was changed at 27,000 miles and was replaced with a motorcraft oem filter. Therefore, first particle count was with the original air filter but the next two counts were with the replacement filter.

Doug

Edit: A search of my post will show VOA and UOA's (with particle counts) that may answer further questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back