Started burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 months ago, I picked up a 2004 F350 6.8 V10 from its original owner in california (29K miles). Truck was very well maintained and I have the service records from previous owner. I drove the truck home (2200 miles to Canada) and it didn't burn a drop of oil. Changed oil to PYB 5W-20 and ran that for 5000 miles (2months) and it didn't burn a drop. I then changed oil last month to Mobil 1 5W-20 and today i checked the oil with almost 4000 miles on it and its down 1/2 quart. Could it just be the Mobil 1? Should I go back to PYB?

Could... Though it seems a bit odd. You sure the filter and plug are tight?

What is the NOACK of the PYB vs Mobil?

Id personally run PYB.

I've heard some people say oil comsumption goes up during the first oci of a new oil then settles back down. Never expericed that myself.

Originally Posted By: atc250r
Should I go back to PYB?

Look at some long range synthetic oil reports in the UOA forum that show make up oil: zero quarts.

I think you can eventually do that if you pick 1 oil and stick with it. If you don't mind adding a little make up oil, you may resume bouncing around.

1/2 a quart after 4000 miles is typical with many vehicles. In fact, some burn a little more. It is often said on BITOG that on the second OCI with a different oil that some oil consumption will go down.

The first OCI with Mobil-1 tends to see a little usage. Even their website has a page somewhere that states the same. Then it should level off in the 2nd OCI and return to normal.

BTW - I am a Pennzoil purchaser. Either Platinum or Yellow Bottle works just fine for me.

I have had a few odd oil burning incidents. The worst was 1 qt in 4000 miles. On the next oil change it didn't use any oil. I don't know why it did it for just one oil change. I am guessing it was a bad batch of oil.

I had something very similar in our Pilot. I watch the oil level in that engine like a hawk. It's the VCM 3.5L...

I'm on the second OCI of Penn Ultra 5w-20, just trying to clean up the insides a bit. About 2000 miles ago, it burned about 1/2 a quart out of the blue. I had a 1/2 quart of 5w-30 MaxLife in the garage I replaced it with. Since then, it hasn't burned a drop.

My guess is that it might have "cleaned" something and burned oil for a bit? It's a mystery to me, but I'm glad it stopped.

I had this using PP on one of my Mazdas. 1st OC it went through a qt in 2000 miles, oil was pretty black. Added a qt and ran 2000 more miles. Next change with PP there was no usage in 4000 mile Oci. Oil was not near as black either.

I am not bashing Mobil1 however, I have found that my F150 consumes oil between changes with Mobil1 and does not with Motorcraft or Kendall. Therefore I don't use Mobil1 in it.
The Honda does fine with Mobil1.

Its got exactly 4400 miles on this oil and its about 1/2" above the add line. You guys figure I should change it now, or should I run it till 6K? I would assume I'll probably need to add some by then,(which I hate doing; I would rather just change it)

Why don't you change it when it reaches the add line?
You may find lower consumption at lower oil levels.
Also, fill the crankcase using the rated oil capacity, not the dipstick.
The dipstick is an imprecise gauge at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back