Running Boards and Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mercury Mountaineer has running boards and I am wondering if I will get improved fuel economy by removing them.

Interesting aerodynamic test, but way beyond what I am inclined to do. So long as it won't make the aerodynamics worse, there is incentive to remove them. The truck will look better without them. Only time I use them is if I am tying something to the roof rack, which is rare, and I can always open the door and stand on the floor pan (I know there is a name for that edge at the door, but can't remember or never knew in the first place).

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
...I can always open the door and stand on the floor pan (I know there is a name for that edge at the door, but can't remember or never knew in the first place).

Rocker panel.

Just think it would look a lot leaner, meaner without. There is 10 inches from boards to pavement. If I take them off it goes to 15 inches. Also they hinder sliding under the truck to work on it. Gotta weigh 30+ pounds each including the brackets.

Tried pulling one today but one of the bolts would not come out but just spun in place. Anyway, I see the frame extends almost as low as the running board and so will be somewhat visible with the running board removed. This makes me think that Mountaineers that came without running boards probably had a narrow body pannel in their place.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
My Mercury Mountaineer has running boards and I am wondering if I will get improved fuel economy by removing them.

Not a chance.

Yeah I built a 39 ford sedan and those have lots of running board on top of being rather aerodynamic. With a 355 v8 and single 4 barrel with an overdrive it pulls of high 20's on the interstate. So while aerodynamics can affect fuel economy, its more about keeping the car well maintained and tuned to really get the mileage.

Last edited:
Sometimes I do not know if OP is serious or yanking our chain. If serious, I think he needs to put a coat of good was on this truck to increase its gas mileage. Hey, the amount mileage gain with the wax would compensate the loss with the running boards :)

Well, GM tried that in the past (it was a disaster!) and Honda is doing it currently. Just to be on safe side, also disconnect the fuel injector for that cylinder. Come to think of it, don't take out plug wire but take out the injector signal. Then put a relay inline and put a switch inside. That way you can decide when to run the engine in the Audi mode!

Yes, I am playing along.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Anyway, I seriously wondered if the running boards might hurt fuel economy. I would still pull them off as I think they make the truck look funky, too SUVish. Sure glad I don't have them on the Ranger.

As for the cylinder cut out, yeah, would not want fuel going in as it would do a bad number on the oil.

Bottom line, the Mountaineer is just to heavy. Seems every vehicle has gotten heavier in the last 10 years. Odd when the push is to improve fuel economy. Also, the 4.0 is way more engine than I need. Not towing, so a 3.0 would work fine, but not even an option in that year Mountaineer.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
If MPGs are that important, I'd use my time to find a different ride.
I did that with my ride: 14 mpg F150 to 25 mpg Ranger. It won't pay to switch from Mountaineer because the replacement will not be that much better to get carrying capacity and will have auto tranny which typically gets worse mileage. Should have looked for something somewhat better in the first place, though the Mountaineer should be getting around 17, it has ben doing much worse. Strange, when my son drives it improves the mileage. Maybe I am the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back