2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Last Tuesday we took delivery of our new Sonata Hybrid. It's a very impressive car - from what I've read of early 2011 models, they've worked out the kinks. Very smooth, unobtrusive drivetrain; loads of torque to pull long, steep grades; excellent, nicely damped ride with great impact absorption; terrific build quality; nicely weighted, precise steering; super quiet on the highway; impressive fuel economy.

The one thing we didn't like was the choice of OEM tires: Hankook H426. The day after we brought it home I removed these and installed Michelin Primacy MXV4s. Now it's quieter and smoother riding, with better response and grip in the corners. Must be lower rolling resistance, too, because the fuel economy went up.

Great car.

Initial reviews of the Sonata Hybrid were lukewarm (complaints about the drivetrain mostly). I'm not surprised that Hyundai made a lot of improvements in short order. I was surprised that the car uses a conventional 6 speed automatic vs. the usual CVT found in most hybrids...Hyundai's system is a little different. Hyundai is coming up fast...their competitors better watch out. If you can, keep us updated on the mileage you're experiencing.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
what is the specified oil to use? SN 0w20?

Preferred is SM or higher 5w-20, with 5w-30 and 10w-30 being the sole listed officially approved alternates.

I'm going to use SN Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 at 3,750 mile intervals until I see how the DI affects the oil. If all looks good after a few UOAs, then I'll go to 7,500 mi intervals.

Congrats with the purchase. Good choice!

One of the better looking hybrids out there.

The sonatas are beautiful cars.

Glad to hear that they fixed the jerky transition from electric to gas in 2012 as it was the main problem in 2011. So, how the hybrid works? Electric up to 15 MPH and then gas engine kicks in?

I would be interested to hear the real life MPG. I'm hearing Sonatas have hard time meeting the EPA estimates.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
as long as Hyundai continues to develop their cars continually in response to complaints they will improve rapidly.

Unlike alot of manufacturers who don't care to do this..

Here's my post on one of the Hyundai YF forums; it'll give you some perspective (sorry it's so long):

Quote:
We just got our 2012 HSH. We live at 4000' elevation and work 45 miles away at 1000' elevation. After we leave our home we descend 800' over 1.5 miles and then we get on the interstate on a steep uphill on ramp, then while continuing to accelerate to match the flow of traffic, we climb 1000' over 3 miles to a mountain pass, then start heading downhill. There are a few more uphill sections as we head to work, but not especially steep. Finally we descend a ten mile 6% grade into the valley where we work, and then a relatively flat journey across the valley and finishing with another moderate climb to our off ramp.

The return journey is the reverse except for the 10 mile 6% grade, which takes a different route going uphill, reaching 8% in places. There is another long 6% grade as we get back to the top of the mountain pass.

We are still on our first tank of gas and right now we are averaging 35 MPG with one more uphill trip than downhill trips. Our four cylinder Camry has averaged just under 25 MPG for many years over the same route, with some seasonal variation.

We first tested a non hybrid, non 2.0T 2012 Sonata up the long, steep grade out of the valley, and like our old Camry, it quickly needed to downshift and drone up the grade at about 3500 rpm to maintain 65 MPH. On the way back down into the valley, we decided to get the Hybrid, without even driving it up the grade. We decided that if we were going to have to continue to endure droning, we might as well get potentially better fuel economy. (The non hybrid Sonata would not maintain speed going up this grade on cruise control.)

When we ascended the grade for the first time in our newly purchased HSH we were quite surprised when as it hit the grade it downshifted once (into 5th), and then in near silence, ascended the grade to the top with the engine and motor working together the entire way. It maintained a perfect 65 mph on cruise control. On that first trip up the mountain we had averaged 31.7 MPG by the time we reached our home.

A more relaxed, comfortable cruiser would be hard to imagine. Even our 5.2L V8 Jeep has to noticeably work to get up that hill.

I own an auto repair shop and have carefully inspected this HSH from underneath and above, and I am very impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship.

Being a Michelin dealer, on the second day, with 78 miles on the car, I installed 205/65R16 95H Michelin Primacy MXV4s on it and the ride is much smoother and road noise is greatly reduced. I sold the Hankooks the HSH came with to my tire tech's brother.

So far, my wife and I are amazed at how much we like this car. I get the feeling that the 2012 version is much-improved over the 2011 model. We experience no drivetrain oddness, only smooth, fluid behavior.

I am glad that Hyundai has a lifetime battery pack warranty.

The Toyota hybrid batteries are not nearly as bulletproof as people believed. You are starting to read reports of failures in the 100-150k range under certain conditions on the priuschat forums for the 04-09 models. Definitely not a promising sign.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Is that lifetime battery warranty only for the first owner, like their 100k mile powertrain warranty?

Yes. Per an email clarification that was emailed to me from Hyundai Motor America:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify warranty coverage for Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Lifetime battery.

The Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee applies to all U.S. 2012 model year Sonata Hybrids. The Hyundai Lifetime Hybrid Battery Replacement Guarantee ensures that if the 2012 Sonata Hybrid lithium polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery pack free of charge to the original owner. The Hybrid Starter, Hybrid Generator, the Hybrid Power Control Unit and The Automatic Transmission including Traction Motor have the 10-Year/100,000-Mile Hybrid Components Protection coverage.

^^^ouch. There goes the resale.

You have to imagine that buyers would think twice about purchasing one used if the warranty is void.

You have to imagine that buyers would think twice about purchasing one used if the warranty is void.

Just like chrysler and their 7/70 and "lifetime" warranties. Next buyer gets 3yr/36k and that is it.

At least with Hyundai you get 5yr/60k bumper to bumper incl power train if you buy used and some dealers will bump up the power train to 100k.

My sister wished that her 2007 Caravan kept the 7/70 for her.
All the $$$ thrown at that thing.
09.gif

Take care, bill

Chrysler's issues stem more from a poor dealer network than the actual vehicles anymore, the old tales from 5-10 years ago are just that. I feel for your sis, but for every anecdotal reference there are THOUSANDS of happy owners who love their vehicle.

I cannot understand the rationale behind taking away the warranty from the second owner. In my mind a real warranty would only care about the maintenance, not who's driving.

Chrysler's 7/70 powertrain warranty did transfer over, depending on the year. We bought our '03 Grand Caravan used, but it had the 7/70 on the powertrain according to the dealer's computer. We had to use it once, so I'm glad it had it.

I do think they quit transferring the warranty in the 2004 or 2005 timeframe.

I agree with Steve: the warranty should stay with the vehicle, not with the owner.

Thank you for the follow-up response, Big O Dave.

I'll dare to say that these "first owner only" warranties are counting on the majority of first owners selling the vehicle before even the standard warranty runs out. That is, only a small percentage of first owners will keep the vehicle long enough.

So it is a mostly a marketing feature.

I agree with SteveSRT8 and Hokiefyd.

Unfortunately I am also hearing tales of warranty coverage being denied by Hyundai.

My good friend Neil was having his 2008 Santa Fe serviced and he heard a big ruckus in the service lanes. Turns out it was a 2010 Hyundai owner being told how he could not get warranty coverage for his car! Never did find out what it was about, but it is also not my only bit of hearsay.

The the only warranty that is not transferable is the lifetime battery warranty. If the vehicle is sold, the coverage on the battery reverts to the 10 year / 100,000 mi warranty.

To bring this thread back to my original intent, the more we drive this car and live with it, the more we like it. I really like the solid build and the quality materials, and its refined road manners. As someone who puts a lot of miles on a car, and who owns an auto repair shop and has seen the progress Hyundai has made, I made my vote with my purchase.

I investigated the warranty and I know what it covers and for how long, and of its transferability aspects. Going from a lifetime warranty on the battery to a 10 year warranty upon a sale will have zero influence on resale value. Just as with Toyota, the Hyundai batteries will come down in price as time goes on and they become more commonplace.

I'm confident that my warranty will be honored, if the need arises, because I will comply with all of the maintenance requirements. Incidentally, all vehicle manufacturers require compliance with their maintenance plans in order to receive warranty coverage. Any focus on Hyundai as being more unwilling to honor their warranty than other manufacturers is purely anecdotal and hearsay.

I believe in buying cars from companies who are trying hardest to achieve excellence. Right now Hyundai/Kia and Subaru are two that are in that category. I see it everyday as we maintain and repair a wide variety of vehicles. Back in the 80's and 90's Honda and Toyota were conquesting the market with over-built, well-engineered cars, and then once they achieved their reputations, they began to de-content their vehicles to increase profits. You see XV10 Camrys everywhere, still, despite being 20 year old vehicles, for example. As my signature indicates, I own one of these, myself.

My observations and experiences lead me to the conclusion that Hyundai's current generation Sonata is the over-built, well-engineered modern equivalent of that old XV10 Camry. Like Toyota did in the late 80's and early 90's, Hyundai is now pouring everything they've got into its products. The same is true of Subaru, now, too. I recommend both of these to my customers, and with excellent results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back