Post your latest upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered March 17, 2012.

Sandisk extreme 120GB SSD. 550MB/sec read, SATAIII.

Upgraded from:

OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD. 285MB/sec read, SATAII. --> going into laptop.

Not long before that my HD5870 died so I RMA'd it and got a GTX560Ti and sold the 5870 when it came back from RMA.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
POST DATES TOO!

Post the old part then the new part!

Why do you care?

Early January:

Intel Core i5-2500k
ASUS P8Z68V-Pro Gen3
Crucial m4 64GB SSD
old
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

Mid January
New: Fractal Design Define R3 Case

Old
Antec Threee Hundred

Last edited:
I installed an external SATA port on my Vostro 200. Does that count as an upgrade?
smile.gif

I installed another Gig of Ram in an old P4 Dell Dimension 3100. I like this Win XP machine for surfing the web, word processing, and other tasks.

I also upgraded my Lenovo Z565 laptop from 3GB of DDR3-1333 to 6GB, I purchased a 4GB and a 2GB kit from Crucial (Micron, both modules made in the USA). I also just ordered a Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230 mini-PCI express card for my laptop. The factory Broadcom 65mb/s adaptor sucks on my network, considering the other two computers I primarily use are both gigabit. I'm looking forward to having 300Mb/s capable wireless in my laptop.

Well, I dont know if it counts as an upgrade since my laptop came with no RAM or HDD.
But I put 2x4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1066 and a WD Caviar Black 500GB in my Lenovo T500.
As for my desktop, last upgrade was to 3x4GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 from 3x2 Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600. That was 10/11
Plan to replace my SSD at the next opportunity. It currently has a Crucial M225 64GB. Ive found that isnt nearly enough space and Ive also managed to blow past its erase count spec. Since it was changed in the latest firmware to 5000 from 10000 and Im currently at 7000.

Last edited:
I dont know if this qualifies as an upgrade, but to me it does.
I added a EVGA 9400GT 1GB tonight as a secondary card to drive my VGA screen on my primary system.
I can only have two 'legacy' (VGA, DVI, HDMI) connections on my HD695(7)0. Since I had a DVI LCD and a VGA CRT I was unable to add my HDMI HDTV to the mix. I would have to get a 'active' DisplayPort adapter for one of them.
My quick and dirty fix was initially to throw in an 8500GT, but the brace for the heatsink on the back of the card interfered with my 6950. So I ended up putting that card in my Grandpa's computer and pulling the 9400GT from it and put it in mine.
:p

Mid Feb:

I went from this:
IMG_0654-1.jpg

(slightly dated picture, already had 6970 and different hard drives before migrating)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Intel Q9550 @ 4Ghz
AMD HD 6970
8gb Kingston Hyper X
OCZ Vertex 2 - Boot
3x Samsung 2tb in Raid 5
2x WD Veloci Raptor 150gb in Raid 0 - Programs
Chieftec Super Tower case (huge)

To this:

IMG_0133-1.jpg

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
8gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz
AMD HD 6970
Corsair Force 3 240gb - Boot
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb - Programs
3x Samsung 2tb in Raid 5 - Storage
NZXT Switch 810 (great for water cooling).

After selling my old parts, the total cost of this upgrade was around $100, including the new case. Some of my choices, such as the mobo, were strictly dictated by budget (which was very limited). But it all worked out pretty well, and I'm very pleased with the new build.

Have an i7-980X on the way. Will replace my i7-920. Ill post pics of the System while its open after the surgery. Ill probably make sure it runs okay and pull it to lap it like my 920.

Last edited:
how much did that cost colt45?

I recently upgraded from a 4 year old system

[email protected] w/V1 cooler
8gb ddr2-960mhz
abit ip-35 pro
antec 900 case-Dust vacuum
pc power and cooling 750 silencer

new system
I5-2500k @4.4ghz w/corsair h100
8gb corsair vengence LP @1600mhz
Asus P8Z68-V LX
Corsair 650D case (amazing)
Corsair AX 650gold power supply

and now.. 2 weeks later we get z77 motherboards... oh well.

Last edited:
New parts for my desktop: Corsair Force3 GT 120GB SSD
8GB Patriot DDR3-1600 RAM
MSI 880GMA-E35 motherboard
AMD FX Bulldozer Black Edition 6core CPU 3.3ghz

Had the upgrade done at the end of March.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
how much did that cost colt45?

More than it shouldve. 5 bills. Oh well, [censored] it. Its a toy anyway.
tower_inside.jpg

Pretty stuffed in there.
It goes:
USB 3.0 card in the top slot.
Modified Creative X-Fi Platinium
XFX 6950 2GB w/ 6970 BIOS
Geforce GT 520 w/ passive cooler (the side fan does plenty well and is one less thing to break)
Slot hole taken by eSATA plate; PCI slot blocked by GT 520 cooler anyway.
Highpoint 3510 RAID controller
tower_left.jpg

Right side

[censored] it. I just put that ceiling fan in a few days ago. A Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm. Well, I just stuffed a flashlight into it and blew out two blades. Still works though, just vibrates. Bearings dont like it, Im sure. Just have to roll with it until a new one arrives I guess.

4Ghz
Turns out 4GHz is all I can get off this particular chip at reasonable voltage levels. At this point I was already at 1.39 vcore. If I put it under water I could probably get 4.2-4.3? This particular example just isnt a very good clocker.
Still, I got 79ish Gflops out of it. I was getting just under 50Gflops out of my 4GHz 920, so it is more than 1.5x the power.
In theory.
I should note, those temps are 'under duress.' I unplugged the side fan and the puller fan on the cpu cooler (top fan); then I laid a cd case on top of it. So it just had the pusher and the rear fan.
Did pretty well for nearly 180W. I noticed the rear fan actually started pulling hot air out after I did this, so it seems to be able to help take up slack in a failure.
Another interesting thing I noticed was, while I was playing around with unplugging a cpu fan I ran just the puller and had the pusher unplugged. This actually ran cooler by 2-3C vs just the pusher. I didnt have the CD case blocking it at this point though. This requires further testing. I had been running with the assumption that pushing air through a cooler would run cooler vs pulling air through it.
Anyway, with it setup the way it normally runs, max temperatures under this stress is in the 70-75C range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back