Volvo XC90 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2006 Volvo XC90 V8 (with the Yamaha V8 engine) - I did some searching from here and on the internet and couldn't find anything about what kind of oil people have had good success with.

The manual states it recommended Castrol oil, but i'm not sure if it's a recommendation based on the engineers or recommended because Castrol paid Volvo a big chunk of change to say that. I have nothing against Castrol, but I just want to make sure i'm using the best available at a reasonable price.

I planned on just using Castrol GTX 5w-30, it's inexpensive, easy to find, and I have had good experience with it in the past.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Driving style: Hard and aggressive
Driving environment: Houston, TX, hot hot hot and level, 70% highway, 30% city

Once a year I will be driving to Colorado into the mountains to ski. Very cold (around 0F-10F), recommended oil for driving around up there if different?

Thanks!

Most Volvos have a 7500 mile OCI...they are also notorious for the PCV system (flame trap) plugging up due to sludge formation....couple that with your aggressive driving style and you should go with a synthetic.

Pick your favorite synthetic, doesn't need to be Castrol, you can see what I've chosen...but you need a synthetic for this thing...and join www.volvoxc.com for some great maintenance and repair information.

Cheers,

I just wanted to make sure with you folks because the engine isn't a "standard" volvo turbo5 or turbo6 - it's designed by Yamaha. Are you sure it still has the same PCV issues? I was thinking of just running PYB 5w-30 through it, including for the long drives up and down Colorado in the snow and in the mountains each year. PYB is inexpensive, easy to find, and it appears to do a good job in other engines.

Figured I'd bump this thread. Recently purchased a 2007 Volvo XC90 with the Yamaha V8. Have seen very little discussion about this motor and what a good oil choice may be for it.

3 excellent oils for Volvo:

1. Valvoline Synpower FE 0W-30 : http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(609)/synpower_fe_0w-30/product-information and http://www.valvolineeurope.com/uploadedFiles/2644.pdf

2 Liqui Moly Special V 0W-30 : http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf and http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/2852%20Leichtlauf%20Special%20V%200W-30_EN.pdf/$file/2852%20Leichtlauf%20Special%20V%200W-30_EN.pdf

3. Castrol Edge Professional A5 0W-30 (former SLX Professional for Volvo): http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/D00A32D781CE0052802578A8007C0CC7/$file/BPXE-8HMJ3N_0.pdf

Thanks. Are those oil recommendations specific to the Volvo XC90 with the Yamaha V8, or are they general recommendations for the more common motors in Volvos (2.5t 5 cyl, 2.9 twin turbo 6, etc)?

Personally, I'm looking for a mainstream oil choice.

Is Synpower FE the same as 'Synpower' or is it some sort of less common, more exotic/better/expensive version? Same question about Castrol Edge Professional A5...is that the same as 'Castrol Edge' I see at retail stores?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pengc99
Just picked up a 2006 Volvo XC90 V8 (with the Yamaha V8 engine) - I did some searching from here and on the internet and couldn't find anything about what kind of oil people have had good success with.

The manual states it recommended Castrol oil, but i'm not sure if it's a recommendation based on the engineers or recommended because Castrol paid Volvo a big chunk of change to say that. I have nothing against Castrol, but I just want to make sure i'm using the best available at a reasonable price.

I planned on just using Castrol GTX 5w-30, it's inexpensive, easy to find, and I have had good experience with it in the past.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Driving style: Hard and aggressive
Driving environment: Houston, TX, hot hot hot and level, 70% highway, 30% city

Once a year I will be driving to Colorado into the mountains to ski. Very cold (around 0F-10F), recommended oil for driving around up there if different?

Thanks!

The recommended oil for your car is the Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5, I dont know if this oil also is labeled EDGE in the U.S

Do NOT use the GTX

What about Rotella T 5w40? Decent choice? Bad choice? In my local climate, temps exceed 90F once in a while during summer, and below 0F very rarely in winter. So no temp extremes, no towing, no mountain driving.

Already running Rotella T 5w40 year-round in my 2001 BMW 525it. Would be very convenient to run same oil in bother vehicles, plus it is readily available here @ $20/gallon.

The chart in the 2007 XC90 owners manual indicates that 0w30, 0w40, 5w30, and 5w40 all are acceptable/approved grades in most weather conditions.

Originally Posted By: magnus308
The recommended oil for your car is the Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5, I dont know if this oil also is labeled EDGE in the U.S

Do NOT use the GTX

Why do you recommend against the GTX? Is it just personal preference -- i.e. you just don't like this oil? Or is it something specific about the GTX that you believe does not work well with the Yamaha V8 in the XC90?

Dealer where I bought my used 2007 XC90 V8 changed the oil with 5w30 Castrol GTX just before I bought it. Not sure if it is worth changing the oil right away, or wait 3,000-5,000 miles before changing it out?

Last edited:
Since Volvo approves 5W-40, T6 should be fine.
Remember that T6 does not have great cold performance, though.
It is not the Euro-spec 5W-40 that Volvo had in mind.
Still, if you rarely see much below zero, the Rotella would work well for you.
Personally, I'd run either GC or M1 0W-40 in both cars, and if I wanted to spend less, I'd consider G-Oil 5W-30, which may have HTHS of at least 3.5, and would therefore work in a Euro app, although maybe only for short drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Since Volvo approves 5W-40, T6 should be fine.
Remember that T6 does not have great cold performance, though.
It is not the Euro-spec 5W-40 that Volvo had in mind.
Still, if you rarely see much below zero, the Rotella would work well for you.
Personally, I'd run either GC or M1 0W-40 in both cars, and if I wanted to spend less, I'd consider G-Oil 5W-30, which may have HTHS of at least 3.5, and would therefore work in a Euro app, although maybe only for short drain intervals.

Thanks. I'm partial to the Rotella T6 5W-40 for cost, familiarity, and availability reasons, and bought 2 gallons today. The Volvo takes 7.1 quarts, so buying two 1-gallon jugs works way better than two 5.1 quart jugs. And individual quarts of synthetic are too expensive for me to cost-justify.

I'll probably leave the 5w30 Castrol GTX in for 2-4,000 miles then change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back