0w-40 or 5w-40 for hot summers in audi with turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi the car in question is a audi 2.7t with twin turbos.

so far i have used mobile 1 0w-40 car now has 77k. I have read that 0w-40 is not a good oil to use in summers because it is a thinner oil than 5w-40 from a couple of posts over at audiworld/forums.

I want to stick to vw approved oil and to make the oil a bit thicker should i try 5w-40 valvoline for the summers? The location is texas (where summer basically never ended) lol

i dont understand if both oils are 40 weight in the heat why would people say 0w-40 is bad for summers? shouldn't they provide the same protection in the heat?

m1 0w40 is a world class product.. it passes many stringent tests..

40wt is a grade.. or a range. its not one specific number

Last edited:
technically the M1 0w-40 is a bit thinner than many 40's, but it is recommended by so many high performance cars that I can't imagine why you'd want anything else.

Thinner will yield LOWER oil temps, actually better for the engine.

Thinner???

What is the viscosity of each product at 100F? The viscosity may be slightly different, but not extreme, else it would be a 30wt!

NOACK and ht/HS will determine which is possibly more robust.

That said, M1 is a top notch product holding a huge number of mfr certifications.

0wXX is just a way for mfr to say that oil has extra pour point depressant. To be virtually 0wXX the oil would have to pass through the viscosimeter instrument instantaneously - - in 0 Saybolt seconds or whatever at the low temp - - a physical impossibility I think. 0w40 is 5w40 with extra pour point depressant to make it flow a little faster at very cold temps (nothing wrong with that).

Oil viscosities are labels and not engineering terms . The only reason there is an '0 ' label is the specs were set way before such light weights were contemplated .
' 0 ' weight just means the oil's cold flow characteristics fall within certain limits .

There are 5W-40s that meet the spec for your Audi, but then so do M1 0W-40 and Syntec 0W-30.
I'd personally use any oil meeting the appropriate spec in your car in any weather.
You cannot hurt the engine using an oil appropriate to the Audi (really VW) spec.
Ignore the viscosity rating, and pay attention to the specs listed in your OM and on the bottles of oil you intend to use.

If the oil has served you well so far, and the price will be the same, I would stick to using the 0w40 as it meets specs. The 0w40 may flow slightly better on startup but the 40 is what you need for TX summer.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: audia6
Hi the car in question is a audi 2.7t with twin turbos.

so far i have used mobile 1 0w-40 car now has 77k. I have read that 0w-40 is not a good oil to use in summers because it is a thinner oil than 5w-40 from a couple of posts over at audiworld/forums.

I want to stick to vw approved oil and to make the oil a bit thicker should i try 5w-40 valvoline for the summers? The location is texas (where summer basically never ended) lol

i dont understand if both oils are 40 weight in the heat why would people say 0w-40 is bad for summers? shouldn't they provide the same protection in the heat?

Keep using that oil. I live i Alabama where humidity make you think several times of year to kill yourself and temperature goes often to 110.
In 1.8T I always used Castrol 0W30 (GC) which is thick 30 oil, but still much thinner than Mobil 1. Never had issues and served me much better than Castrol 5W40.

Can you run Dino?

If you can run Dino there are plenty of great 15w-40 oils on the market that would do you well for a hot summer run.

Plenty of lubrication, protection and great cleaning. I like to run a mixed blend of Dino and Synthetic in the summer for the qualities of both products.

Welcome!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Can you run Dino?

If you can run Dino there are plenty of great 15w-40 oils on the market that would do you well for a hot summer run.

Plenty of lubrication, protection and great cleaning. I like to run a mixed blend of Dino and Synthetic in the summer for the qualities of both products.

Welcome!

I would rather run any 5W30 than dino 15W40 in the summer because of the stability of oil. Especially in VW engines.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Can you run Dino?

Welcome!

There is no dino oil that meets his engine spec/approval. Don't due this^^^^

Mongo may have a good point.
The HDEO fleet oils he refers to are primarily intended for use in heavy turbo diesel engines.
The reason these oil have none of the appropriate Euro approvals may be that their makers don't bother.
Their makers aren't marketing these oils to the turbo car crowd, but to the eighteen wheel turbo diesel gang.
The OP's Audi is still too young for such experimentation, but once the Audi's mileage is doubled, he might consider a dual rated HDEO.
HDEO 5W-40 is popular among turbo Subie owners, and I doubt that the Audi is any harder on oil than is a turbo Subaru.
Rotella T6 has shown good UOAs in turbo Subes as well as in some VW applications.
HDEOs have considerable long drain potential as well.
Mongo is not as far off base as you might think, certs or not.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Mongo may have a good point.
The HDEO fleet oils he refers to are primarily intended for use in heavy turbo diesel engines.
The reason these oil have none of the appropriate Euro approvals may be that their makers don't bother.
Their makers aren't marketing these oils to the turbo car crowd, but to the eighteen wheel turbo diesel gang.
The OP's Audi is still too young for such experimentation, but once the Audi's mileage is doubled, he might consider a dual rated HDEO.
HDEO 5W-40 is popular among turbo Subie owners, and I doubt that the Audi is any harder on oil than is a turbo Subaru.
Rotella T6 has shown good UOAs in turbo Subes as well as in some VW applications.
HDEOs have considerable long drain potential as well.
Mongo is not as far off base as you might think, certs or not.

He will not have any problems running Rotella T6. However, Dino 15W40 is out of question, unless he wants to know how sludg looks like!

Last edited:
Sigh...your compatriots on the Audi forums are, well, ignorant about oils...

If the 0W40 was thinner than the 5W40 at operating temperature, it would be...wait for it...a 0W30!!

The M1 0W40 is a great choice....don't listen to them...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If the 0W40 was thinner than the 5W40 at operating temperature, it would be...wait for it...a 0W30!!

+1

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Has Audi Junkie been banned from Audiworld yet???

I've been using M1 0W-40 for 70k miles and both of my turbos are operating as they did when new. When choosing an oil for your 2.7tt, at least look for an ACEA rating of A3/B4 if you are going with an oil not 502.00 rated. That will at least give you a HT/HS viscosity of 3.5, which will protect the main bearings and the turbo bearings.

I've recently picked up 3 jugs of G-Oil which has a HT/HS of 3.5 and plan on using that this summer. As long as your cooling system is operating correctly, you shouldn't need to worry about ambient temperature.

5W-40s like Castrol Syntec and Valvoline Synpower HST or MST are good second choices. You can use Rotella T6 5W-40, but I think it is way to thick for the motor and you will notice the turbos take longer to spool up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back