Grounding the throttle body to improve response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
many cars, like mine, will not respond to a booster as mentioned above and in my earlier post in this thread. The adaptives will quickly cancel out the 'boost'.

A handheld programmer with a sharp aftermarket tune was the cure for my car, it's now virtually indistinguishable from a cable throttle!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
many cars, like mine, will not respond to a booster as mentioned above and in my earlier post in this thread. The adaptives will quickly cancel out the 'boost'.

A handheld programmer with a sharp aftermarket tune was the cure for my car, it's now virtually indistinguishable from a cable throttle!

Ah, I didn't see that post.

Adding grounds, cleaning connections, and using heavier gauge wire can help all sorts of things. work better.

But the TPS is not grounded to the TB [and neither is anything else], so I think this mod is nonsense.

I haven't tried this myself, but I don't doubt that it would produce results in some cases either. I mean, it's not like we don't have ready examples of poor wiring in modern vehicles...like super-thin head lamp bulb wiring. What's to say that ground wiring isn't the best either? We can make the argument that if a larger ground cable would help, the manufacturer would have used it. But one can make the same argument about head lamp wiring, and there are very repeatable examples that demonstrate that thin-gauge head lamp wiring robs the bulbs of power. So what's to say that our cars don't have marginal grounding systems either?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
But one can make the same argument about head lamp wiring, and there are very repeatable examples that demonstrate that thin-gauge head lamp wiring robs the bulbs of power. So what's to say that our cars don't have marginal grounding systems either?

Simple! beancounters at play, ma friend, bean counters. The cost of moving one gauge up (e.g. from AWG14 to AWG12) for wiring looms (esp. the headlamp part) times 100,000 for the manufacturing plant and voila! how much the manufacturer saves?

Yes, there's definitely room for improvements.

(a) upgrade the headlamp portion of the wiring harness to a thicker one, and you'll see brighter lights due to less loss in terms of lowered resistance.

(b) revised the entire vehicle's factory grounding strategies with thicker ones (must follow the factory grounding scheme, not just casually slapping on additional grounding straps underneath the engine bay,etc.)

You'll get better performance on OBD-II cars that way.

Q.

they aren't saying total output is higher... which is what the dyno would show. they're just saying the DBW responds quicker.

I'd really be surprised if it made a difference, but mine is sluggish, and it's by design I suspect for fuel economy and emissions.

but I tell ya what, I'll see if I have some time, and run a couple of jumpers from the tb to ground and maybe ECU temporarily and see if I can tell a diff. my jumpers are not heavy gauge so it may not be the best test, but I don't "drink the kool-aid" and would be happy to provide a data point. may just take me a cpl days.

You know on a case by case basis you can't rule out some improvement in overall health of the grounding system with a little DYI. My PT Cruiser had a battery light on for a long time, both before and after battery replacement. This went away with an 8ga from negative battery post to computer mount frame.
Mazda turbo owners likely need to look at mech mods to improve throttle response. Larger intake plumbing with teflon inside and open exhaust starting after the exhaust manifold with larger exhaust pipe, high flo cat and other such things have been shown to make significent improvements.

what Mustang_Cougar said takes me back to my work on a 1965 chrysler, the ignition points kept burning fast. i put a wire on the points plate, to ground, and the points lasted 30,000 miles.

argh. I had time to try it last night and completely forgot. i came home, allergies whipped my tail, and I stayed inside and washed the dishes. no guts no glory.

I did it last night in about 3 minutes. Grounded to the NEG battery terminal from a 10mm TB screw. Tip-in seemed a bit more responsive. Meh, it won't hurt anything to leave it on there now.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I did it last night in about 3 minutes. Grounded to the NEG battery terminal from a 10mm TB screw. Tip-in seemed a bit more responsive. Meh, it won't hurt anything to leave it on there now.

that's all I understand that it's supposed to, or even could, do. but hey it's an interesting data point. which vehicle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Only way to prove that theory is to dyno before and after.

Dynos don't test part throttle, where 99.995 of our driving is.

Originally Posted By: meep
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

that's all I understand that it's supposed to, or even could, do. but hey it's an interesting data point. which vehicle?
Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back