Recommendation for Oil in 2000 Mazda 626

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I just started, after a top engine "makeover" (rebuilt head, new gaskets, new timing belt, etc) the engine in my Mazda 626. Its the "FS" I4 engine.

I chose, for starters, Motorcraft 10w-30 Syn Blend as I've had good luck with this brand. The service manual calls for SAE 10w-30 with API Service SG.

The motor has 140K miles and I have NO idea what type / brand was used by the previous owner.

I plan on draining the oil soon to inspect and possibly get an analysis.

I live in East Texas so I don't think an 0w-X is needed but I'm considering the 5w-30 MC Syn Blend.

What do the experts here think?

Thanks! Ed.

Really dependson your type of driving an how far your driving .
How often will it be driven, Mobil is a good oil.

Conventional oil 10W30 of API SG/SH and before is more shear stable than 5W30, the latest SM/SN showed 5W30 is very shear stable, I see no reason to use 10W30.

no need for solvents.

I'd go for the new QS Defy.. has higher additives for your older engine. but there are any number of oils that would work well.

I'd get 5w30.its more shear stable than the SG 10w30.

Last edited:
Maxlife Syn Blend or Full Syn 10w30 gets my vote. You can find the full syn version at meijer all day long for 26.99 for a 5 qt jug.

Nice shot of moly with some Valvoline base oils awesomeness

[censored] if you can pick up their Nextgen 10w30 stuff from walmart right now on clearance , that would be an awesome deal for you!!

Congrats on the new vehicle. Think about Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen in a 5w30 bottle. Routinely on sale at auto shops and will help with all seals. Let us know how she performs when back in service.
18.gif

Originally Posted By: Tech_Ed
Hi Everyone,

I just started, after a top engine "makeover" (rebuilt head, new gaskets, new timing belt, etc) the engine in my Mazda 626. Its the "FS" I4 engine.

I chose, for starters, Motorcraft 10w-30 Syn Blend as I've had good luck with this brand. The service manual calls for SAE 10w-30 with API Service SG.

The motor has 140K miles and I have NO idea what type / brand was used by the previous owner.

I plan on draining the oil soon to inspect and possibly get an analysis.

I live in East Texas so I don't think an 0w-X is needed but I'm considering the 5w-30 MC Syn Blend.

What do the experts here think?

Thanks! Ed.

Tech_Ed,

Personally I see no reason why you couldn't use a 5W-30 instead of the 10W version. Now a days the 5W's are considered the standard now and even more now it's going down to 5W-20 just to save gas. I'd go for the 5W-30 myself but don't go any lower than that. If your not sure how the previous owner treated the car I'd use a synthetic oil like Pennzoil "Platinum" or Mobil 1 along with a good oil filter should help clean up the innerds.

Good luck on your final decision....

Durango

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skellyman
Really dependson your type of driving an how far your driving .
How often will it be driven, Mobil is a good oil./quote]

It will be my daily driver. My truck at 253K+ miles is using oil and I want to have the heads redone with new valve stem seals. I also want to take advantage of the better mileage and retire the truck to more purposeful duties. The "Z" is the garage queen and is only driven on "nice" or "show" days. My bi-weekly trip to get my kiddos is 200 miles (400 for the weekend)...so nearly 30MPG is way better than 18MPG. I should be able to pay off the car investment in gasoline savings alone within a year or so...

HTSS_TR said:
Conventional oil 10W30 of API SG/SH and before is more shear stable than 5W30, the latest SM/SN showed 5W30 is very shear stable, I see no reason to use 10W30.

Agreed. I figure 5w30 would be just right.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Kreen's not a solvent, its a new engine in a 1 qt tin can

Never heard of "Kreen"...time for google. I have used "seafoam" prior to an oil change to help clean up the motor. However, I'm not a fan of globs breaking up and clogging up the system. My pro mechanic friend once commented on the use of engine "cleaners" and simply said "its sometimes best to let sleeping dogs lie".

At any rate the head is totaly clean..and while the head was off (some 7 months) I routinely sprayed "deep creep" over any exposed surface and into holes...and kept it covered in layers of towels. I didn't want bugs or rust forming while the head was off. I figure the "creep" cleaned out the bottom end quite nicely.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Congrats on the new vehicle. Think about Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen in a 5w30 bottle. Routinely on sale at auto shops and will help with all seals. Let us know how she performs when back in service.

Thanks! I picked it up for $300 (not running) but she runs now! So far less than ~$800 invested. Only old seals are the RMS and oil pan gasket. I ran her for over an hour the other day to check for any oil / coolant leaks...so far so good.

Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
Good choice on the oil, make sure you service the transmission if it's an automatic, CD4E is a weak spot on the 4 cyl models.

Thanks. The MC Syn Blends have performed well for my F150 and Z. The tranny appears to be recently replaced as it has salvage yard writing on it in various locations. I looked at the fluid and its very clear and pretty red. I do plan on flushing it anyway...just to be sure. I don't know if it was rebuilt or just pulled and stuck on the car. But it does seem to be working.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Good luck on your final decision....

5w30 it is...just have to pick the brand now.

Just found the thread on the free can of "Aerokroil"...

I decided to get a can of Kreen to get the freebie. I normally use "PB-Blaster" for stuck stuff...doesn't hurt to have another good product...especially if the can is free! :)

I don't know if I'll drop it in the engine...but it may make a great parts cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Tech_Ed
Just found the thread on the free can of "Aerokroil"...

I decided to get a can of Kreen to get the freebie. I normally use "PB-Blaster" for stuck stuff...doesn't hurt to have another good product...especially if the can is free! :)

I don't know if I'll drop it in the engine...but it may make a great parts cleaner.

Kreen's fine, use it all the time. 1/2 qt in the oil, 1/2 in the gas last 1k of the OC. Transfer it from the can to something else before adding to oil and gas. The hazmat tin can it comes in doesnt poor very well. The areokroils got PB-Blaster beat as you'll soon find out.

If your goal is to clean up possible neglect from previous owners look into pennzoil hm. In my probe (626 cousin) I did 4 3k changes of 5w30 pennzoil hm and it really cleaned my engine ALOT. I recently changed my valve covers and clean for a 165k mileage 15 year old car. Highly recommend you give it a shot, or if you really want try pennzoil ultra if you have no leak issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back