Water vs Oil temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGW

In a engine, does water heat up faster than the oil?

Is it true that it takes 20-30mins for the oil to reach operating temperature?

Yes on the water/coolant warming up faster. And from what I have witnessed running an oil temp gauge 20 minutes is about right.

As far as I know, water has a higher specific heat capacity than oil. Logically, oil should heat up faster than water since it has a lower specific heat capacity. There is obviously something I don't known concerning the flux of oil and water temperatures in engines.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Not in my truck, the oil gauge goes up way faster than the water gauge does...

I think there might be something amiss...with your oil gauge.

From here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2099675

Car isnt in front of me, but IIRC, 7th tick is 230F, per this image from the net:

IMG_0402.jpg

My test:

2011 BMW 135i, 300hp twin turbo, N55 engine, MT
Gentle driving, stoplights and 45MPH driving. Including drive over Walt Whitman Bridge (2-3 miles uphill then downhill) partway through trip.
Oil temp from gauge, water temp from scangauge
Ambient temp, 68F.
Code:

Miles on trip Water T Oil T

146.5 71

146.6 100

147 124

147.5 157

147.7 165 first budge

148 172

148.5 182

149 195

149.2 200

149.5 206 first tick

150 216

150.2 216 2nd tick

150.5 220

150.5 220 3rd tick

151.6 220 4th tick

152.4 224

152.9 224 5th tick

153.6 220 6th tick

154.8 216 7th tick (full temp)

Generally yes, water heats up faster than oil. In cars with oil coolers, they probably heat up pretty close to the same speed, with water still getting the edge.

I don't have oil temp gauge in any of my cars, all may cars' coolant reach operating temperature at around 180-185F in less than 4 miles and I'm pretty sure that oil temperature at that distance is less than 150-160F.

On my Triumph, the oil wil reach about 170 f- 190f about 10- 15 minutes after the coolant reaches operating temp.

Coolant has a greater contact area with the top end of the engine (and exhaust ports) than the oil.

The coolant temperature is thermostatically controlled. Flow through the radiator is blocked until the thermostat opens. The oil has no such control. It is shedding heat though the pan continuously. Twenty minutes is typical for the oil to reach temperature equilibrium.

Ed

Once again everybody is generalizing. This info is not absolute, it is extremely platform dependent.

If you have a conservatively tuned econocar the oil is not heated as quick as if you have a fire breathing large V8. Then factor in some engines design: oil squirters aimed directly at the underside of the piston crowns, for example. These engines will heat the oil very quickly.

In our fleet vans the oil is run through the coolant, so temps tend to advance almost in lock step. In the SRT8 oil temps will out pace the water temp in all but the coldest weather.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Once again everybody is generalizing. This info is not absolute, it is extremely platform dependent.

But that's what generalizations are for - they're true in most cases. Many, many more people drive vehicles with engines tuned for longevity and fuel economy than for all out performance.

If you have a conservatively tuned econocar the oil is not heated as quick as if you have a fire breathing large V8. Then factor in some engines design: oil squirters aimed directly at the underside of the piston crowns, for example. These engines will heat the oil very quickly.

In our fleet vans the oil is run through the coolant, so temps tend to advance almost in lock step. In the SRT8 oil temps will out pace the water temp in all but the coldest weather.

Great points and all true. But, in MOST cars, the water will heat up faster due to shut thermostat and engine design where water is for cooling and oil is for lubrication (oil squiters at piston bottoms and turbo chargers are not common). This (water heating faster than oil) is the case with my high performance Corvette's V8. But, eventually the oil temperature is higher (10 to 15 degrees) than the water.

Last edited:

Yep! Power density, oil capacity, load factors all make this application specific. I think it's safe to generalize, though, that the coolant heats up faster than the oil in most situations.

My 5.4L Ford V8 (7 quart sump) takes 15+ minutes of steady driving on a 70F day for the EOT to peak. It only takes 1/3 of that time for ECT to peak.

In our fleet vans the oil is run through the coolant, so temps tend to advance almost in lock step.

Doesn't running the oil through the coolant create a bit of a mess?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back