Royal Purple API synthetic vs Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Buick Enclave with a 3.6l DI engine. I'm getting ready to change out the factory oil after break-in and am trying to decide which oil to use. I've always been a Mobil 1 guy but I noticed the other day that my local Wal-Mart is carrying Royal Purple in addition to Mobil 1. Both the M1 EP and the RP API meet the Dexos 1 requirements that my owners manual specifies. Anyone have any thoughts / experience / recommendations with these oils in a similar application?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I suspect the engine will outlast the body and tranny with EITHER oil.

+1 I personally think RP is overpriced tho.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I suspect the engine will outlast the body and tranny with EITHER oil.

+1 I personally think RP is overpriced tho.

+2

I used the RP in the past. I have not used the recent stuff though. And I have to agree as well that it just plain costs too much. Like op mentioned above ^^ the motor will out last the rest of the vehicle on Mobil-1 or RP anyway.

Mobil 1 shows high iron in UOAs= engine wear. Mobil 1 is [censored]. You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Mobil 1 shows high iron in UOAs= engine wear. Mobil 1 is [censored]. You get what you pay for.

Oh boy....I`m leavin.
35.gif

Originally Posted By: cobrajamie
My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Buick Enclave with a 3.6l DI engine. I'm getting ready to change out the factory oil after break-in and am trying to decide which oil to use. I've always been a Mobil 1 guy but I noticed the other day that my local Wal-Mart is carrying Royal Purple in addition to Mobil 1. Both the M1 EP and the RP API meet the Dexos 1 requirements that my owners manual specifies. Anyone have any thoughts / experience / recommendations with these oils in a similar application?

I can't find Royal Purple on the GM Dexos1 approved list - are you sure they meet the Dexos standard? If RP doesn't, then it would be sensible to stay with an oil that does, and M1 EP 5w-30 is on the GM list.

So does some RP and Redline uoas, 2 boutique $$ oils. What's your point here?

36.gif

Last edited:

nothing to see here^^^^^^^^^^ just somebody
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
jaj,

According to the RP website and the label on the bottle, their 5W30 API-Licensed oil meets Dexos. GM may just be behind on updating the list.

"Meets DEXOS" does not mean a Licensed Dexos Product. IIRC GM allows API SN oil to be used if DEXOS cannot be sourced. How 'bout SHELL ULTRA 5w30? Arguing about the quality of ILSAC oil is like arguing about whats a better beer, Budweiser or COORS. At least I didnt say Carling Black Label vs. Piels
smile.gif

I just don't see why people RAVE over M1 when there are clearerly better oils.
M1 was run in my buddy's 4.6 F150 for years. After changing to RP and doing a UOA the wear dropped by a 1/3.

[censored], Use PP, or Valvoline Synpower, if it's price you are worried about.

M1EP is overkill if you plan to use the OLM, and under warranty, I would.

QSUD is on the Dexos 1 list, cheaper than M1EP or RP, and will protect well if changed according to the OLM.

Throw in this month's $20 rebate for 5 quarts, and it's full of win.

Mobil-1 is overpriced but its a good oil. Redline, Royal purple, Amsoil & Motul are all better imho. Motul has some good Ester based oils too
cool.gif

Not in the UOAs I've had done. The M1 did very well. I would run whatever you can get on sale....

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Oh boy....I`m leavin.
35.gif

Me to! Can you pick me up. Another UOA genious.

Rbarrios has that engine and has posted some fantastic UOA's using Valvoline. That engine is not a good candidate for extended OCI's due to fuel dilution IMO so pick a decent lube and change it every 5k. I believe GM even scaled back the OLM on those due to the issue.

Originally Posted By: cobrajamie
Anyone have any thoughts / experience / recommendations with these oils in a similar application?

I've used both RP and M1 (not EP) in a few different applications. As others have pointed out, RP claims to meet dexos1 standards, but is not licensed. The Mobil product is actually licensed. If it were me, I'd stick to the licensed products while under warranty, and switch afterwards, if you so desire.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Oh boy....I`m leavin.
35.gif

Me to! Can you pick me up. Another UOA genious.

I`ll be right over!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back