Cub Cadet 2544 oil smells like gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought this up a while back and cleaned the carb out with no luck. I have used the tractor a few times this winter and the oil still smells strong of fuel. The level is correct and it runs perfect. The engine is a CH20 and it has a mechanical fuel pump that is attached to the valve cover. The kohler service manual says this is not serviceable. I have read a lot about the diaphragm leaking but i think this is on the pulse type pumps. Any suggestions about what this could be? Im thinking about getting a carb kit with a new check valve and double checking my float position. Other than this i dont know what to do about it. I hate that my oil smells so strongly of fuel.

Don't know if this is your issue but many years ago had a new Craftsman ride on with a Kohler engine that did the same. Strong smell of gas in the oil, it was still under warranty. Service man came and put a new carb on it and it fixed the issue. Never had any trouble out of it again.

Based on your description, sounds like a carb issue.

Hopefully this is what it is because its easy to fix. maybe just as preventative maintenance ill just order the check valve or carb kit. I think if it were a fuel pump issue or something it would run bad or have some drastic effect.

If the oil level is not going up, I doubt you have fuel leaking into the crankcase. Also, the fact that the engine has a fuel cut-off solenoid on the carb further supports this.

The fuel tank is also mounted much lower than the carburetor on the Cub 2K series machines, thus the need for the vacuum-pulse driven fuel pumps.

I know the Command 20 in my 2544 ran on the rich side, especially when not run at max governed speed. I suppose warm-up time and winter use would further cause some fuel dilution.

Used Kohler engine oil always smells fuel-ish to me, no matter the model.

I'd say, unless you notice your oil level going up or some additional performance concerns, all is well.

Joel

Just to make absolutely sure you're not killing your engine with fuel in the oil, do the "smear the oil between your fingers" viscosity test occassionally. If by some miracle fuel was getting past the cut off solenoid in any measurable quantity it should show up on the dipstick. I think when those solenoids wear out, they won't retract...not the other way around.

I actually got a small amount fuel in my crankcase once though because, along with other problems,the grandkids turned the key on and it stayed that way for about a week. Dead battery too!

Thanks guys, After seeing JTKs post and talking to a local Cub dealers mechanic, i dont think i have a problem. The Cub mechanic said that almost all of the cubs he sees like mine have a fuel smell in the oil. He said to watch the level because if it were a serious problem the level would increase. I do run mine in the winter quite often and even after about 30 mins the oil is not extremely hot. I can check it and rub it off with my fingers and tolerate it. When i do run it in the winter, i never run it wide open. I just put around with the kids and stuff at half throttle. Seems as if i just have a tractor that runs kind of rich at backed off conditions and i compound the problem with my method of operation. I just hate hearing that engine scream with no load on it.
Again, thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I just put around with the kids and stuff at half throttle. Seems as if i just have a tractor that runs kind of rich at backed off conditions and i compound the problem with my method of operation. I just hate hearing that engine scream with no load on it.
Again, thanks guys.

About the only time I ever putt-putted around with mine was if I had to move it in/out of the garage or whatnot.

It seems counter-intuitive to always run it up to max governed speed, but that's the way they are designed to run. Both from the carburetor and hydrostatic drive standpoint. In reality they're not screaming at all for an OHV V-twin. Most of them today will barely idle down at all. I assume mostly for emissions. They want you to use it, or shut it off.

Joel

Well, i ordered two filter kits from amazon. Ill just keep the air filter really clean and insure that i mow at full speed. Thanks all.

From a reliability standpoint, switch to something like Rotella T6 and use the biggest oil filter that fits. These things run screaming hot and just kill oil.

Fellow GT2544 owner.

Did you order a fuel filter by chance? These particular models with the vac/pulse fuel pump and fuel tank orientation are very sensitive to fuel filter type & brand.

Non Kohler filters tend not to pass any gas (no pun intended!).

Joel

Originally Posted By: CaptainNed
From a reliability standpoint, switch to something like Rotella T6 and use the biggest oil filter that fits. These things run screaming hot and just kill oil.

Fellow GT2544 owner.

When i first bought it in 05, i ran a few 10 or 20 hr oil changes with ST10w30 , M5000 10w30, M1 5w30. since about 100 hrs it has had a steady diet of 5w40. Mostly M1 i got on clearance. I have one change of M1 5w40 for it and about 3 gallons of rotella T6 inline. I actually thought about running the synthetic VR1 10w30 synthetic i got on sale a while back. Most likely i will stick to the 5w40s as it does get pretty hot here in the summer.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Did you order a fuel filter by chance? These particular models with the vac/pulse fuel pump and fuel tank orientation are very sensitive to fuel filter type & brand.

Non Kohler filters tend not to pass any gas (no pun intended!).

Joel

I did not order a filter. In fact i just checked my records and have not ever changed the OEM filter. As PM i will put a new filter on this spring as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back