Interesting idea: Silicone as chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this testament just now and think that's a mighty interesting idea to clean up the dirty bike chain. I'll probably have to wait for drier weather till I really can start to successfully use the silly cone for the actual chain lube:

Silly cone as chain lube

Quote:
Posted by LittleBigMan 04-13-01, 10:41 PM
You know I am not an expert on bike repairs, but...

I once put some silicon "oil" (not really designed for lubrication, but I thought, 'Darn, this stuff is really slippery, and it says it's silicon (really techno-cool).' So I put it on the chain.

Hit a cool rainstorm on the way home. Soon I started hearing this sound, like chirping birds. By the time I got home, I was cringing past every person within earshot of me, hoping they wouldn't think I was riding a cheap bike!

Good news, though. It disappeared after I added a little petro-based oil. Guess that'll larn me: never use oil labled "Xerox".
wink.gif

I have used silicone chain lube on my motorcycle chain for several years . It works great and doesn't attract dirt. I buy the Dupont brand at Lowes hardware and its only about 6 dollars for a large can. Hope this helps, Thanks, G

Umm....you live in Portland. Let me just say that this isn't going to work!

I've used it before in a pinch, and it'll "work", but after about 2 minutes in the rain and you'll have a chirping chain. It can work in dry weather, but it shears like crazy, so you'll get about 2-4 hours of ride time before you have to re-apply.

Pretty much the best chain lube you can use is 3 in 1 oil. Just apply it sparingly, let it sit for a while and wipe off the excess (the visible lube isn't going anything except attracting dirt). I use this all year and it works great in all conditions.

More than you ever wanted to read about bicycle chain lube: http://www.biketechreview.com/forum/1-general-discussion/21680-comparison-of-chain-lubes

I've tried some Silicone based chain lubes. I'm not impressed.

What I came up with is Bel-Ray Zinc based motorcycle chain lube, as it's totally dry. Then add some GT-85, a very light lubricant, as it's way better than WD-40 (which contains little to no oil)

My "mix" works quite well and remains fairly dry. It's also easy to tell when the chain needs cleaning, as the white zinc starts to turn black.

i saw a website where they used graphite powder and wax to seal it into the chain spaces. but haven't tried it. i use Finish line wet lube as it rains here and i don't like relubing more than once every two months or so. i ride 30 to 40 miles per week commute

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]It rains here and i don't like relubing more than once every two months or so. i ride 30 to 40 miles per week commute

You can't expect any chain lube to last that long under those conditions.
Even a motorcycle o-ring chain would need more frequent lubrication application that that if used in the rain.

just a opinion ,I have tried all kind of products for chain lube on a dirt bike and what last the longest i have found is Transmission fluid

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]i saw a website where they used graphite powder and wax to seal it into the chain spaces. but haven't tried it. i use Finish line wet lube as it rains here and i don't like relubing more than once every two months or so. i ride 30 to 40 miles per week commute

+1 for Finish Line wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back