2006 dt466e, 5w-40 rotella, 12,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 dt466e with 58,000 miles total and 12,500 on 5w-40 synthetic rotella, this sample was read by detroit diesel labs.
the lab flagged the percentage of fuel as a problem. is this level of fuel a problem? any help is appreciated.

fe-85
cr- pb-2
cu-4
sn- al-1
ni- ag- ti- v- si-6
na-12
k- water- coolant none
mg-1046
ca-1158
ba- p-1113
zn-1372
mo-65
b-15

viscosity 11.0
fuel % 4
soot % .4

The Fe is nearly at the reasonable condemnation limit (often around 100ppm for many major engine makers).

The fuel is not atrocious, but it's not as low as most would like to see. Seems that the idling is taking it's toll. I'd not let it get higher than this; the goal would be for it to be lower.

The other wear metals are very decent for that exposure.

The soot is very low.

Without TBN/TAN it's hard to tell if longer OCI is warranted.

Overall, I'd cut the idle time down if possible. Will reduce the fuel and perhaps the Fe as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The Fe is nearly at the reasonable condemnation limit (often around 100ppm for many major engine makers).

The fuel is not atrocious, but it's not as low as most would like to see. Seems that the idling is taking it's toll. I'd not let it get higher than this; the goal would be for it to be lower.

The other wear metals are very decent for that exposure.

The soot is very low.

Without TBN/TAN it's hard to tell if longer OCI is warranted.

Overall, I'd cut the idle time down if possible. Will reduce the fuel and perhaps the Fe as well.
thanks! i asked our detroit diesel dealer about the tbn/tan and they said it wasn't avaiable, but i don't think the counter clerk knew what i was talking about. i guess i will use a different lab next time.

just as a side note my detroit dealer says they send off 20-25 samples a day to the lab in cleveland. i thought that was alot!

"Without TBN/TAN it's hard to tell if longer OCI is warranted."

"thanks! i asked our detroit diesel dealer about the tbn/tan and they said it wasn't avaiable, but i don't think the counter clerk knew what i was talking about. i guess i will use a different lab next time."

TBN/TAN with the DD lab costs extra. What I do is put a tiny note in the container asking for it with a credit card # to add it. And that seems to work, I always get it with my UOA.

Charlie

Hi,
caravanmike - You have a great little engine -I first became familiar with this engine family in the 1970s

A single pass UOA in this case could/should be the start of a trend database

Fuel level is higher than around the accepted 2.5 - 3% max

Fe is acceptable in my opinion - around 150ppm is a typical condemnation point as long as "companion" wear metals are not elevated or other factors intrude

As others have alluded to, TAN/TBN are good things to monitor

At one point I had about 60 of these engines in Fleet use - great engines from Loaders to Dozers to Trucks and all in between!

Last edited:
m37charlie: i have come to the conclusion that a tan/tbn is needed next time, thanks for the trick of putting the cc# in the second container, bypassing the the no knowledge counter clerk.

doug i have 2 of these (dt466e's) in a fleet of 14 the second one had identical fe as the sample above but the second one had no fuel in the sample. the difference between the two dt466e's has been traced to the high idle not working on the unit with 4% fuel reading. thanx, mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back