MaxLife syn 10W30, 5K mile OCI, 2000 Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading Cheetahdriver's previous UOA on his 2000 Tundra, I thought I'd post 2 more UOA's for comparison.

Vehicle: 2000 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5
Engine: 2UZ-FE 4.7L V-8
Air filter: Toyota
Oil filter: Purolator Pure One
Current mileage: 119K

The most recent UOA was done at 115K miles using 10W30 Valvoline MaxLife synthetic with a 5K OCI. The previous UOA was done at 99K using 5W30 ML synthetic. Here are the results:

Element/115K/99K/Univ avg
Aluminum/1/2/2
Chromium/0/1/0
Iron/1/5/7
Copper/2/3/5
Lead/9/12/3
Tin/2/1/0
Moly/223/204/56
Nickel/0/1/0
Manganese/0/0/1
Silver/0/0/0
Titanium/0/0/0
Potasium/0/0/1
Boron/7/0/61
Silicon/10/9/14
Sodium/0/3/6
Calcium/2836/2826/2282
Magnesium/11/20/149
Phosphorus/688/731/710
Zinc/795/808/835
Barium/6/0/0
SUS@210F/10W30 115K 66.2/5W30 99K 63.9
Flashpoint/10W30 115K 380F/5W30 99K 385F
Fuel%/10W30 115K 5W30 99K Antifreeze/0.0 both
Water%/0.0 both
Insolubles/115K 0.2/99K 0.6

Comments from Balckstone at 99K:
JACK: Lead read uncharacteristically high in this sample from your engine, so we had the sample
rerun. Unfortunately, it is still there. Lead is from bearings and 2-ppm of this metal would be about
right for this sample. Insolubles were on the high side as well. The TBN was 4.0, so the 5,080 miles
you put on this oil were not too many. In fact, our average oil sample from this type engine has 5,675
miles on it. We found no gas, moisture or anti-freeze in the oil. We will write this lead reading off to a
particle streak. Maybe it will drop to normal next sample.

Comments at 115K:
JACK: It has been a year since we have seen a sample from this engine. The switch to a 10W/30
seems to have helped lead but it still reads three times higher than universal averages. Those averages
are based on a 5900-mile oil run, so your wear rate ppm/hr is also high. All other wear metals look
good. No contamination was found. Low silicon and insolubles indicate good air and oil filtration.
Viscosity was a bit higher than normal for the 10W/30 but didn't hurt anything. We suggest a couple of
shorter oil change intervals to clean up excess lead and check back.

My comments:
Obviously I'm concerned about the high lead readings. It may be a common theme for the 2UZ-FE engine at higher mileage though, so I thought I would add it to the library for future BITOGer searches. BTW, I'm getting ready to try PP 5W30 in this vehicle on the next drain and fill. Thoughts?

How long are you going between OCI's in terms of months?? Maybe these Tundra's do not like long OCI's?

quote:

Originally posted by INDYMAC:
Obviously I'm concerned about the high lead readings.

Don't be..at least I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned. And note-it is lower than last time. Perhaps you "lug" the engine a bit. I have an auto and even then I "lug" mine. I have had 6 to 12 ppm with 5K mile OCI in my Nissan Sentra for 80K.

Try an oil with less Moly and I think you'll see those lead levels return to normal....

TS

My OCI is always 5K now. The OCI takes anywhere from 3-9 months for me now. Most of the mileage occurs during hunting season. The engine was broken in with dino 5W30 until 17K. It had a pretty steady diet of Pennzoil synthetic 5W30 until 90K with 4-5K OCI's. Then I switched to MaxLife 5W30 and then 10W30 after the 99K UOA. I'm the original owner. Seven years old tomorrow!
I'll be switching to PP 5W30 in a couple of weeks. It has much less moly content, so we'll see if that helps.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
How long are you going between OCI's in terms of months?? Maybe these Tundra's do not like long OCI's?

I ran my wife's 01 Sequoia (same engine) for over 10k miles and 13 months on GC and got outstanding results (that one is posted here), so I don't think it's the duration, and it's certainly not the miles. Not possible to tell for sure, but I'd lean in favor of particle streak. This engine has such a well-established track record of generating fantastic UOA results that I have a hard time envisioning it being inherent to the engine itself (though it certainly could be). Not seeing big Si, I'm not sure what other a PS would do this. Indy -- have you used any additives in your fuel or oil during recent OCIs?

The only thing I do before an oil change is run a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas before the change. I've always run 89 or 93 octane gas as well. It never needs make-up oil or additives and the engine has run beautifully for the last 119K. The only disconcerting thing about the engine is that it sometimes sounds like a diesel engine when starting on a very cold morning (below 30F). This lasts for about 5-10 seconds. It's definitely more noticeable with 10W30 oil than 5W30. I'm glad you like your Seqouia ekpolk.

Do you take your oil samples for testing, before or after adding the techron? You may be generating this data inadvertently by the addition of a strong solvent, some of which will end up in the crankcase to react with the bearing overlays....

TS

IIRC, we've had a few members report slight Pb elevations using Techron. I've been pleased with the product, but haven't used it since I started doing UOAs a couple years ago. That might be the explanation (of course, it might not be...).

Our 2UZ has some valve noise on real cold mornings. Of course, our northern friends are laughing at us, you being from TX and me FL. Ours is very minor, we just drive gently until it's warmed up, as always, and don't really worry much about it.
cheers.gif

Yah, If that engine was a Chevy you would not be able to hear the valve train noise over all the other noises!!
lol.gif
The only reason you can hear the valve train noise is becasue the rest of the engine is so darn quite. Seriously though we get that as well up here in the land of snow and ice. It is normal though and all makes have more valvetrain noise when the temp.'s are below freezeing then when itis warm out. We are already seeing temp.'s in the 40°F range at night time here in Michigan. I am sure the Canadians are probably already getting frost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back