LM Top Tec 5W-40, BMW E39 540iA, 7200 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

Please find below the results of the latest oil analyses for my BMW.
The comments of the engineer performing the analyses were as follows:

Code:

The values of wear metals have risen only slightly. This low wear is within the normal range.

The values of additives differ from the values of the fresh oil reference in our database.

The fuel content is negligible and is below the detection limit.

I assume that the reason for the difference in the additivation of the used and the reference oil is due to the Wynn's additive I used?

Code:

Subject : LM Top Tec 5W-40, BMW E39 540iA, 7200 km (oil), 60050 km (total)

Machine : M62B44TU (E39 540iA, YoC 2002)

Oil : Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

Additive : Wynn's Oil Stop Leak (as sealant maintenance)

Oil Usage : 5 month

WEAR

Iron Fe mg/kg 15

Chromium Cr mg/kg 1

Tin Sn mg/kg 2

Aluminium Al mg/kg 3

Nickel Ni mg/kg 0

Copper Cu mg/kg 6

Lead Pb mg/kg 3

Manganese Mn mg/kg 1

PQ-Index - OK

CONTAMINATION

Silicon Si mg/kg 15

Potassium K mg/kg 1

Sodium Na mg/kg 0

Water % < 0.10

IR-Glykol - negativ

Fuel % < 0.30

OIL CONDITION

Viscosity @ 40°C mm²/s 80.50

Viscosity @ 100°C mm²/s 13.43

Viscosity Index - 170

Oxidation A/cm 18

Nitration A/cm 8

Sulfation A/cm 9

Dispersing Power % 92

ADDITIVES

Calzium Ca mg/kg 2179

Magnesium Mg mg/kg 249

Boron B mg/kg 32

Zinc Zn mg/kg 1009

Phosphorus P mg/kg 826

Barium Ba mg/kg 0

Molybdenum Mo mg/kg 2

Sulfur S mg/kg 3420

ADDITIONAL TESTS

BN mgKOH/g 7.27

Sorry, I forgot to mention: I had already been using E85 for most of the time the oil was in use. Furthermore the analysis was performed by OELCHECK.

Any link to Virgin specs on this oil?

It looks good to me otherwise. What is the idea with adding the stop leak as 'preventative maintenance' for engine seals? Known issue with this engine?

Not too familiar with BMW engines, I'm new.

What are the driving conditions like, habbits, etc etc? Also, what are the goals? Is it to use this oil longer?

Otherwise, thanks for posting this nice report.

Hi,

the specification of the oil can be found here: Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100.

The idea of adding the Wynn's Engine Oil Stop Leak bases upon the pieces of wisdom of a Mercedes Benz engine developer who up until some years ago had been very active in the German Motor-Talk forum. There he actively contributed from an engineers perspective to the common understanding of engines as well as of oils and lubrication.

Basically I am using Wynn's to prevent the various sealings (especially the valve cover gasket and the o-rings of the VANOS system) to dry out and to begin to leak. Since it is orthogonal to the engine oil, i.e. it does not influence it as it does not include any VI inprovers or similar, I do not see any reason to not use it
smile.gif

My driving habbits may be summarized as follows: heat up the engine properly while it is cold, thenceforward testing whether the engine still has full power and try to sense any variations in the tork and power characteristics
laugh.gif

If we have TBN=7,6 (ISO 3771/ASTM D 2896) for new oil how it is possible to have TBN=7,27 (ASTM D 4739) for used oil?
I think that TBN=7,27 by ASTM D 4739 should give more higher result by ASTM D 2896 - even more than TBN=7,6 .

Regardless of the two differing methods for TBN testing, you have to account for lab error and batch variations. It's possible to run an oil 3,000 miles and have a 1 total TBN drop or negligible. It will then start to dive for a bit before stabilizing. Possible. Any decent oil in a clean engine that doesn't have a native high acidic environment already existing in the engine, amongst other factors, could have a chance to not see TBN drop.

Then again, that isn't the issue with this particular UOA. Nor is TBN of much value to a 4,000 mile UOA, it's basically meaningless anyway, for now in this report.

...but I could see it being possible given the room for error and noise.

One further explanation might be, although I doubt it, that the former owner of the car who actually did the last oil change made a wrong note of the oil type. It might be interesting to see whether the additivation and the infrared spectrum of the used oil (which is also available with the report) matches a different type better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back