'08 Buell Blast...what to use in primary/tranny ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
keeping my '08 Buell Blast; it uses a setup similar to a Sportster with a shared sump for primary & tranny and a separate sump for engine oil; what should I use in the primary/tranny when I get fluids changed? in other words, what is equivalent to Harley Formula + (is it more of a motorcycle oil lubricant or gear oil lubricant?)

I currently have Harley's Syn 3 20w-50 in there, but was told that there are 'better choices' & when I asked what was recommended I got answers like 'Amsoil Synthetic, Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oils on one side vs BelRay or Drag Specialites Primary Lube or Gearcase Lube'

I'm so confused...please enlighten me! thanks

What does Buell have in the book for viscosities and specs? You would think there would be some sort of guideline for you to start with. I have also heard the harley oil isnt anything special and is overpriced. I wonder who makes it. If it was Mobil I would change my tune but I dont think its worth paying the over 10$ per litre up here for it when you can get top of the line big name syn for less.

the book says squat about tech stuff on primary/tranny; just that it needs to be checked by a tech at required intervals & replaced according to scheduled intervals; the blast has the footpeg frame bar covering the primary cover almost as a way to prevent a DIY check/drain/fill...

the Syn 3 'holier than though' oil is bottled by Citgo & is a group III base oil so it is maybe a step above using their Formula Plus, but not enough to warrant $11.95/qt!!! I guess I'll just get a better full syn 20w-50 moto oil...seems to be a widely accepted 'upgrade' as a GL-1 equivalent to the HD stuff

Last edited:
Formula+ and most other "Primary & Gearcase Lubes" are mineral oil formulas with little additives.

Syn3 is a motor oil but will work just fine.

You can also use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 or Amsoil MCV 20W-50. These two work much better for an engine oil and may provide for longer service intervals in your shared transmission/primary.

DO NOT use gear lube.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice concerning dedicated gear oil; I even toyed with just using something like Valvoline 20w-50 conventional motorcycle oil that is wet clutch approved since I am not going the full 10K interval listed in the Buell manual...I'll probably do more like 5K or once per year prior to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back