Oil for low oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our volvo loader is giving us a low oil pressure light when it gets warmed up. Installed guage, gauge shows about 11psi when this happens. Have been running CaseIH No.1 15W40. Was wondering about running a 20w50 if I can find it. Any other suggestions, (besides overhaul).

If it's low oil pressure due to high hours then I would try the next grade up. Also maybe a less restrictive oil filter. If it's a diesel make sure the oil is rated for a diesel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not say 20w50 is the last resort. I think it is a good safe option. 5w40 is still a 40grade and when it is at operating temps they will be similar. Use a heavy duty 20w50 and that should bring it up enough to be on the low end of acceptable pressure. You absolutely have nothing to lose.

is the oil shearing also?

if so a shear resistant 50wt would also help

Im not suggesting it in particular but something similar to M1 15w50

(is this a diesel app?)

Yeah, it is a turbo diesel engine.
I'm not sure about oil shear. I would say it is not, due to the fact that this will happen after a new oil change. I'm wondering about what oil to go with. Mobile 1 15W50? Mag1 20W50?

Last edited:
What does this loader have for an engine? Is the idle RPM properly set? 100 rpms can make a noticeable difference in oil pressure at idle.

I was going to ask if you had done a UOA on the oil to check for fuel dilution, but if the problem happens with fresh oil & filter that seems unlikely. What are you using for an oil filter?

I doubt you would gain anything with a 5w40 or any synthetic for that matter. Mobil 1 15w50 doesn't meet any recent diesel engine oil specs, I would not use it in this application.

if nothing in the oiling system has been changed that could cause restriction then my conclusion would be that the service life of the main bearings is over. the clearence in the bearing are too much. the engine holds good enought pressure at cold but the oil thins and flows better at temp and is causing the low pressure at temp.

Originally Posted By: JR
if nothing in the oiling system has been changed that could cause restriction then my conclusion would be that the service life of the main bearings is over. the clearence in the bearing are too much. the engine holds good enought pressure at cold but the oil thins and flows better at temp and is causing the low pressure at temp.
x2. Pull the pan and roll bearings into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back