best time for annual oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 08 Envoy with 28,000 miles on it. The last oil change was 04/01/2011. Just changed it today with 4612 miles on the oil. PP since about 1000 miles. Two questions:

1. Based on the OLM I can easily do one change a year, when is the best time?

2. My PP is now gone, this fill was M1 T&SUV I had left from a previous truck. Would conventional oil be ok for a year?

Todd

If you plan on doing a once a year change, i'd say right after winter would be the best time.

Best to get all the moisture and fuel contamination that usually accomplnies the colder weather, out of the engine. Winter is the hardest season on the oil.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts. I always felt that late fall was a good time so the oil would be thinnest for winter assuming oil thickens over an oci. You could always fill with thin oil in the fall, then replace 1 qt with 20w50 for a thicker blend in the summer.

Spring is when we clean out the house, crank up the mower and finally get out of the house.

I do yearly OCI's on my Mazda6s, and since i'm going that long on the oil, i use M1 EP. I feel that it's made for the longer OCI. I live in S FL. so it really doesn't matter what time of the year to change it. My interval comes in Sept. anyway.

Right at the end of winter preferably before it starts blowing like crazy and the leaves start dropping like crazy and the pollen flying around.

I do the "summer" OC around March 1 and the winter change around October 10.

I am running about 7500 mile change intervals.

If it were one change per year, it would be around April the 15th. But at this time I don't have such long-life oil in big enough amounts in my stash. I just have a quart here and there.

I always thought a 2x oci would be best if driven in cold winter for the reason tall paul gave - the mrv will typ deteriorate overtime. I would prefer a mid spring > late fall OCI regimen.

Last edited:
I thought it was recommended that right before winter was the best time so the oil was strongest to combat the acids formed?? I guess it mostly depend on the type of driving done...as long as the oil is getting hot enough for long enough during use then it probably wouldn't matter.

Our 09 Avenger is not driven a lot and gets about a 60/40 mix of short to long distance driving...I use regular dino oil...so for me, a safe - easy to keep up with - best use out of the oil - OCI is every 4,000 miles which usually equates to 8-12 months instead of the "recommended" 6,000 miles or oil minder or 6 months whichever comes first deal.

I'm sorry to get off track - but, I do a 2X year OCI. Once in April, and the other in October. The majority of the miles are short, 2-3 mile trips. I put on less than 3000 miles during 6 months. I also use a thicker oil, whether it being 10w-30, or a more stout 5w-30 in the summer OCI. And I use MMO as a "top-off" or a make-up oil during the winter months.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Personally I'd do it in the fall, so the oil is the 'freshest' for the harsh, cold weather.

+1 I'd want the oil the very best when the time of the year is the very worst.

With todays oils it prob don't matter as much as it used too specially if using a syn oil.. They dont hold the moisture. Or attract it like conventional oil does. I do 1 OCI and do mine first of April..... only put 3 to 4 grand on one and the other only about 1 grand a yr ..but everyones habits are different on kind of driving etc.. If was doing 2 OCI I would do April and Oct...

just an idea. if you have high temps in the summer, i would change in the spring, so you have fresh oil in the heat.

spring and dino will go easily 1 year 9000 miles if the engine runs good
i change all my cars at 1 year now since the price of oil has gone way up
i sent samples out and all was great!

I think both ideas have merit.

Just before winter, as the oil's in better nick, and you can add a half quart of Lucas when it gets hot...condensation will burn off in the summer anyway.

Just before summer, so that the oil's in better nick during the heat, and add the volatiles back (MMO/diesel) to thin it up before winter...only live with the condensation being generated after the oil's a bit older.

A lot of people are saying at the beginning of spring and fall but the OP's original question was about a yearly OCI. I, personally, do a yearly OCI and change it in the spring because i had heard that that was the best choice (?). We have really severe summers in Oklahoma but our winters can also be vicious. I am really interested in the answer to this question. While several have posted that winter is more severe than summer, I am not sure I buy that. I know that in Canada, for example, they will sometimes allow, on a given vehicle, lighter oil than in the US because of the mild summers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back