Using 5W20 in a 5W30 application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara with a 3.2 V6. It calls for 5w30. Was looking @ some alternative viscosities. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions. Was looking at a 20 weight oil. Keep in mind i am Canada so the cold winters would be a factor. I change my oil twice a year. I'm currently using Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 with their filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I run 5w20 in both of my vans. They are short trip vehicles, so the oil gets to operating viscosity faster. Based on my research, both 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp. My Sienna was back spec'd all the way down to 0w20, the Astro I am just living dangerously I guess! HA HA HA. I am not an expert, just playing with oil. Since most of the oil deals I have gotten are 5w30, my Astro will be going back to that weight going forward.

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
Based on my research, both 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp.

How in the world do you figure 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp? If they were, there would be no need for one or the other.

You could probably get away with using 5w20. There really is no reason for it though, at least in your case. You are using (arguably) one of the best oils for that application. The Amsoil 0w30 is a great oil and great at low temps too. If it is a cost factor use PetroCan 0w30 or M1 0w30 Otherwise stick to EXACTLY what you are doing.

Last edited:
I see no valid reason to use a 20wt when the manufacture specifies a 30wt oil. Fuel mileage increase would most probably be lost in the tank-to-take variability. If you are having cold starting problems then try a 0w30 oil. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
both 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp

How does that work?

False statement of the day...

GM, and I think by entension Suzuki, are pretty specific about using 30-wt. oils in their engines.

Stick with 0W-30 you are using (if you like it), it's an excellent and oil will protect well in ALL temps.

Originally Posted By: RAYSGV
I have a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara with a 3.2 V6. It calls for 5w30. Was looking @ some alternative viscosities. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions. Was looking at a 20 weight oil. Keep in mind i am Canada so the cold winters would be a factor. I change my oil twice a year. I'm currently using Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 with their filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

RAYGV,

I asked this same question on the Motorweek forum some years ago for my 01' Dodge Durango V-8 engine and my answer was don't do it of risk of possible engine bearing damage.

I asked the question cuz it appears that the we all had 10W-30 as a standard and now the new factories specified 5W-30 in an attmept to save gasoline which I wanted to do as well. Currently it appears 5W-20 weight oil seems to be the NEW standard for general usage. Even now everyones toteing 0W-30 oil so how can anyone keep up???

I'm no oil expert but I personally can't figure out why you can't go this route. Next week I intend to ask my mechanic if I can go down to a 20W instead of 30W but then again my savings would be very slight but here in Los Angeles gas is approaching $4.93/regular I ould take any savings possible.

Try it once and see for yourself. I'll bet your fine:)

Durango

Hi RAYSGV and welcome to BITOG.

You haven't mentioned how you drive you're Suzuki but for winter use you could use a 0W-20 (don't recommend 5W-20) if you're doing mostly short trips and not doing any extended high speed driving especially if the Suzuki doesn't have a coolant/oil heat exchanger. The answer would be more of an unreserved yes if you have an oil pressure gauge.

Another option, is to use a 0W-30 with a 200 VI unfortunately no one formulates such an oil but we can easily make one.
The best 0W-20 value in Canada is the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 which costs only $5.70/L. M1 0W-40 is commonly available.
A 50/50 blend of the two (yes it has Mobil's blessing since they don't sell their 0W-30 in Canada) will give you a very light on start-up 0W-30, lighter than any 5W-20 at temp's as high as 30C and 35% lighter tha Amsoil 0W-30 at 0C.
Check it out here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2562326&page=1

I don't see why it might not be possible to use 5W20, especially if the engine is lightly used and the oil temp stays low. Oil viscosity recommendations are derived from data acquired in testing in all climates, from hot to cold. If you take the hot climate out of the equation and just factor in the cooler climate locally, why not? Also, look up other Suzuki using this engine and see if it was ever certified for 5W20. Also, given that mineral 5W30s very often shear into 5W20s, and mineral 5W30 is likely what the engine was originally tested on, the OEM will have factored that in as well, no doubt. A little research would yield answers to most of the questions.

Just follow the manufactures recommendation and you won't go wrong. The manufactures have 100s of thousands of miles of data to back up their recommendation. Sometimes we find it easy to recomend NOT following the engineers recomendation because it is not our vehicle. :)) Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just follow the manufactures recommendation and you won't go wrong. The manufactures have 100s of thousands of miles of data to back up their recommendation. Sometimes we find it easy to recomend NOT following the engineers recomendation because it is not our vehicle. :)) Ed

Eddie, you're no fun!!

I love the Amsoil. Just wanted to try something different. See if there is room for improvement. Thinking of possibly trying Redline 0w30 or 0w40. Any opinions? Their stats seems pretty good.

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
I run 5w20 in both of my vans. They are short trip vehicles, so the oil gets to operating viscosity faster. Based on my research, both 5w20 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp. My Sienna was back spec'd all the way down to 0w20, the Astro I am just living dangerously I guess! HA HA HA. I am not an expert, just playing with oil. Since most of the oil deals I have gotten are 5w30, my Astro will be going back to that weight going forward.

Sometimes used 5w-30 is 5w-20 grade, but used 5w-20 shears down to a lighter viscosity than 5w-30 does.

I can see your interest in 5w-20. Ford and Honda drivers testimonials are all positive, and convincing.

Originally Posted By: RAYSGV
Specs on the Redline 0W40 are quite impressive. I'm leaning towards it. I can get it for 43.99/gallon in my area.

No it's too heavy for you're application.
Their 0W-30 is more appropriate or even their VII free 0W-20.
RL 0W-20 is really a light 30wt oil and will be heavier in service to a typical 5W-30 like M1 since it does not shear.

Anyway you're getting ahead of yourself since RL is not recommended for new engine break-in.
Another oil to consider for your new engine is Quaker State Defy 5W-30. It has a higher ZDDP content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back