Can't read the oil level on my Acura..Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Did my first oil change on my 2012 Acura TL. (20% on OLM and 5600 miles. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 and Bosch Distance Plus filter, for those interested)

My difficulty is in reading the dipstick. I normally check the oil after letting it set overnight. I remove and wipe the dipstick. Reinsert and rotate 180 degrees then remove again. I have also tried not rotating the dipstick.

I am having a heck of a time reading the correct level. I do not get a clear oil/no oil line, but rather an indistinct smear. I have been doing my own oil changes for 45 years and it seems to be Honda/Acura dipsticks that give me fits.

Any suggestions? By the way, this seems to be just as much of an issue with crystal clear new oil as it is with getting ready to change dark amber oil.

I find the only way to accurately read the oil on my Civic's dipstick is to let it sit for a long time. Basically overnight. Never owned a car this hard to get a reading from. Very annoying. My Saturn was a piece of cake.

Ive had the same issue with my Nissan Versa. I get this smear along the side, very tough to tell what the level is, more than not im not even sure where the oil mark is. Very frustrating.
My old corolla was easy as pie, no issues reading it at all.
I thought I was the only one!

It's pretty easy to read the dipstick on both of our vehicles. MajorCavalry, your Acura should have a dipstick "cable" with a metal "slug" at the end, right? It inserts into the very left/front of the cam cover and down into the oil pan from there. If so, same as our Acura. If you're getting a "smear", the only thing I can come up with is that it must be brushing against something on the way down. I'm not sure what that would be, except for maybe some assembly paste that was left in an unfortunate area? I dunno.

The dipstick on my CR-V slides straight down into the top of the cam cover, and feels like it goes straight down and into the oil pan.

I can check either one at any time and get a distinct line of oil on it. If I check it too soon after shutting the engine off (like immediately), it may read low because there's still some oil drain back going on, but it's still a straight line across.

Why some manufactures make impossible to read dipsticks...*sigh*

My Subaru really makes me miss the dipsticks on my old Fords. They were nice and easy. The Subaru one will drive you crazy getting a repeat reading.

I feel your pain - on my 06 civic it's the same way 'cuz of that stupid orange plastic dipstick.

To see the oil level I have to hold the dipstick up to the light just right - play with it and you'll get it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's pretty easy to read the dipstick on both of our vehicles. MajorCavalry, your Acura should have a dipstick "cable" with a metal "slug" at the end, right? It inserts into the very left/front of the cam cover and down into the oil pan from there. If so, same as our Acura. If you're getting a "smear", the only thing I can come up with is that it must be brushing against something on the way down. I'm not sure what that would be, except for maybe some assembly paste that was left in an unfortunate area? I dunno.

The dipstick on my CR-V slides straight down into the top of the cam cover, and feels like it goes straight down and into the oil pan.

I can check either one at any time and get a distinct line of oil on it. If I check it too soon after shutting the engine off (like immediately), it may read low because there's still some oil drain back going on, but it's still a straight line across.

Jason,

I do indeed have the cable dipstick with the cross hatched metal slug at the end. I thought it might be rubbing something, but the smear is both on the front and backside of the dipstick. I try to pull it out slowly and carefully. To no avail. ARGHH

My 3.7L MDX is pretty dark even right after two oil changes so its distinct line. I concur setup is a little hard on this motor.

First engine I have ever took to 8.5k miles on same oil using OLM.

Originally Posted By: D189379
If you let it sit overnight, it should be an accurate reading as soon as you pull it out. Re-inserting it will cause the smears.

Really,

I have let it sit overnight and check right away without reinserting. Still can't get a good reading. No problems with my wife's Lexus with the smooth dipstick and holes at the high and low end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back