Difference in Honda scanner and OBDII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through the shop manual for my wife's Acura it keeps referring to a HPD (IIRC) that is Honda's own service scanner. What is the difference in it and any OBDII scanner?

The code numbers will be the same but some manufacturers have alternative descriptions or designations for some. I've found that just Googling will reveal the mfg-specific info.

OBD2 is OBD2, in the end.

The difference is the Honda Scanner will get all the codes.

Honda/Acura is one of the makes that has manufacturer specific codes.

I ran into this when the Acura would not pass emissions as it reported it was "not ready". There were 3 readiness monitors that would not set (EGR, O2 and Cat IIRC) and I tried for weeks to get them to set. 3 scanners (in addition to the emission test computer) stated there were no DTC's stored and the MIL was not on. 2 of the scanners I used specifically said they read Honda/Acura specific codes and one of those (if not both) was retailed over $300.00. I had a friend at the Acura dealer scan it with the ADS/HDS and it had an EGR lift code. Replaced the valve and it set ready in 5 minutes.

I'm not suggesting that you buy an $9000.00 scanner, but that if something doesn't seem right to consider having it scanned by a dealer.

The Honda scanner can also do things like program remotes (sometimes this can also be done without one) and access advanced diagnostic data that isn't available over ODBII. Also it can pull ABS, Air Bag codes, TPMS sensor registration, etc. It can initiate various re-learn procedures as well, among other things.

There are other products such as AutoEnginuity that can do some of this (but not all of it - check their web site for details on what is supported) for less money.

Honestly, a simple ODB II scanner that supports viewing live data is sufficient for most DIY work. I don't know what the independent mechanics use... I know there is some very capable aftermarket stuff that works across brands. Dealers of course use the "official" scan tool.

Yeah a lot of those cheapie aftermarket OBDII scanners have limited capabilities for Domestics and maybe Toyota but get even more sparse coverage for other car makes.

Just one small example of an OEM scan tool vs aftermarket.
TPS switch voltage can be read from the OEM, making the adjustment a 30 second job while aftermarket cannot perform this function.
To do the adjustment you need to remove the ECM (PITA) remove the connector and probe pins 25&26 with a DVOM, a 30 min job if your lucky and you need an assistant.

In general there is no comparison between the two but for the indy or DIY the work around is cheaper than OEM scanners.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah a lot of those cheapie aftermarket OBDII scanners have limited capabilities for Domestics and maybe Toyota but get even more sparse coverage for other car makes.

My "cheap" Actron one has worked without issue on about a dozen different Japanese cars (Mazda, Honda, Infiniti, Acura). I've loaned it out a bunch of times and everyone says it worked perfectly.

I have a snap on modis, with scoping capabilities and bidirectional controls which allow me on most vehicles to command actuators. It also has more in depth datastream abilities and allows me to relearn certain items on the vehicle. It also allows access to mostly all modules in the vehicle. It is a very helpful tool for me and worth every penny spent. I picked it up used a year old, with euro software and latest update for 5800 bucks. worth the money for me but not for a diy guy. works very well on on domestic and japanese vehicles. European is so so but better than the shop supplied scan tool

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back