Echo power blend confusing mix ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I bought a bottle of Echo power blend 2 stroke oil yesterday, and on the bottle it states its for a 2 gallon mix for a ratio of 50:1. So I get 2 gallons of fresh 89 octane and pour the bottle in and notice on the side of the bottle it has 8 oz of oil in it! So I did the math and now I have a mix ratio of 32:1! On the bottle it says 5.2 ozs for a 50:1 ratio which is what I wanted. Having 2 gallon mix on the bottle I assumed that putting the whole bottle in 2 gallons of gas I would have the 50 : 1 ratio. It turns out I have a 32:1 ratio. If I add another half gallon of gas I should be around the 50:1 ratio, or will I be ok with the 32:1 ratio? I think the label is misleading or I just didn't read it right. Thanks,G

Sounds like a reading comprehension issue coupled with an oddball container size.

Id blend a bit more gasoline in there to get to the right ratio.

32:1 will not hurt anything. Actually, I'd prefer the ratio to be closer to 32:1 than 50:1. There will be absolutely no ill effects from using the fuel the way it's mixed. Go for it.

I wouldn't worry about it gman.

You can thin it out with more gasoline if you're looking for more volume, but like boraticus says, a mix around 32 to 1 is better for the equipment.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sounds like a reading comprehension issue coupled with an oddball container size.

Some of the equipment branded oil sizes, prices and labeling are just plain.........silly. But yeah - read the small print.

I won't go as far as saying 32:1 will be better than 50:1 without knowing the equipment, the usage, the climate, etc - in fact to recommend "32:1 will be better" without all the facts leads me to believe some folks are trying to make some odd point and don't really have your best interest in mind.

All that said, I would just run it at 32:1 unless there is some absolute warranty or technical issue you need 50:1.

I use the 1 gallon mix size bottle of PowerblendX (I love that name). That bottle is 2.6 oz (50:1). The two gallon size bottles I have seen are 5.2 oz (again, 50:1).

You could mix some more fuel in there however I see no ill effects from running that ratio thru the machine for just this jerry can.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I won't go as far as saying 32:1 will be better than 50:1 without knowing the equipment, the usage, the climate, etc - in fact to recommend "32:1 will be better" without all the facts leads me to believe some folks are trying to make some odd point and don't really have your best interest in mind.

All that said, I would just run it at 32:1 unless there is some absolute warranty or technical issue you need 50:1.

Wait... WHAT?!

Whoever would blindly recommend 32:1 is a boob, but Pablo says it's OK, so it's OK then?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Wait... WHAT?!

Whoever would blindly recommend 32:1 is a boob, but Pablo says it's OK, so it's OK then?

I didn't say "boob" and I put a couple caveats out there. Plus I wrote something very different than what you are implying. OK is different than better than.

Another half gallon of gas would make a 40:1 mix thats not bad and a good start in most OPE.

mix would be 320oz gas 8oz oil = 40:1

Too much 2-cycle oil in the gas will foul the spark-plug, and way too much will make smoke in the exhaust, and foul the spark-plug.

After the spark plug fouls it will be hard to start, and it may not start at all, until you put a new spark-plug in it.

Too much oil in the gas will cost you money for spark-plug, and make more air pollution in the exhaust. And after too many repeated replacements of the spark-plug you may strip the threads for the spark-plug.

I once worked for someone who was (to say the least, not very good at math). And this person had seniority, and to top it off had an attitude that no one with less seniority could tell him anything. He also had a bad temper, and at a later date was found to be using cocane.

Anywho, one day he is making up a new batch of gas for the chain saw. His boss had told him to be sure to add the correct amount of oil to the gas. So he puts one gallon of gas in a red plastic gas jug made for one gallon and dumps a 8 oz bottle of 2 cycle oil that said 32:1 on the label. I saw him do that , and in my head did the math.

1 gallon = 128 oz.

128 / 32 = 4

So he should of used 4 oz. , but he had used 8. So the mix is now 16:1 but knowing this person, I did not say anything.

I suspect that he may have notice that I noticed and thought something was wrong, but I am not sure.

He then picked up another 8 oz. bottle of the 32:1 2 cycle oil and dumped that into the gallon.

Now the mix is 8:1 and I still did not say anything.

We used that mix, and boy the smoke that chain saw made was enough to fill an entire valley.

About a week later he comes into work one day all mad and starts talking about how his kids teacher tells him his kid is no good at math. I still said nothing, but had a hidden laugh about it thinking about the saying about how the seed does not fall far from the tree.

Mix the ratio at whatever the bottle says to on the brand u buy.. Like the post said b4 me It will cost u more in the long run or sometimes in the short go.. To much oil is just about as bad as NO oil. u put more oil in the machine and less fuel it will get to HOT and then what do u have a broke machine.. The fuel is what keeps the machine COOL not the OIl. Oils today are so much better than the yrs back in the day of the 32:1 OILS ETC THAT IS WHY WE HAVE THE 50:1 OIL AND NOT 32:1 ETC. It has nothing to do with what ur machine says to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back