Black Residue on Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAK

I recently noticed some residue on the driver's side front wheel. I am assuming there's a leak somewhere? As you can tell, I'm not too mechanically-minded. The car is not a daily driver. It's a 2003 Mustang with only 22,880 miles. For the past five years, it has mostly been driven during the summer months. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated--thanks in advance!

Is it oily? It could be a leaky caliber or brake line if that is the case, or it could just be really bad brake dust if its not oily.

Most likely brake dust that has stuck to the wheels. I see this alot on audi allroads and some volkswagens. Has to do with the softer carbon compound of the brake pads.-MD

A picture would sure help here. Agree on brake dust likely....can you wash it iff?

is it thick like grease? I once caw a car that tore the outer CV boot and flung the grease on the inside of the wheel. It was back when I turned wrenches, and all I remember is the car being a death trap.

Hey, guys, from what you've said I think it's brake dust. While I was washing the car, the residue washed off easily. There were small spatters of the stuff on the driver's door but it didn't stick and it wasn't gooey or thick. Why is the residue only on this wheel, and not on the rest? Does something need to be replaced/repaired? Thanks again for your input!

Only a mechanic can tell you that.

Usually the amount of brake dust is pretty even on the front wheels, and less on the rear wheels. Of course, its the rear wheels have drum brakes, you shouldn't have any brake dust back there at all.

If you were to wash your wheels really well, and look at them again after 1k miles without washing your car and wheels again, the front wheels should look about the same.

If they don't, then that could mean that there's a braking imbalance going on, and you might want to consider having it looked at.

BC.

Yeah you may have a caliper dragging if its dusting one heavily versus the other side. Armorall and some other companies make a spray you can treat your wheels with to make that stuff wash off easier. Ceramic pads are usually a bit cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back