2000 CRV - Maxlife ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just picked up this 2000 Honda CR-V with 140k miles. Runs good, trans shifts fine as far as I can tell. Since I don't know the status of the ATF (though it looks and smells pretty clean) I'm doing to do a full 3 or 4 drain/fill with new fluid. Here are my questions:

1) I hear that Honda MTF is a little lame, so I'm going to go with an alternate.
2) Amsoil is my first choice, but it would be like $150 to do the change!
3) I'm hearing good things about Maxlife ATF, that would be more like $50 and I could justify refreshing a few quarts at every oil change.
4) Planning to add a bottle of Lubegard red to whatever fluid I chooose.
5) May install a magnefine as well, but I may get to that later...

As always, I would appreciate thoughts and input about my plans!

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is the one that is supposed to be compatible with Honda's ATF. I would use that if you don't like the Honda ATF. I assume you mean to write "ATF" instead of "MTF" in your first line item above. Honda's currently available DW-1 fluid is very good fluid; I've got it in both of my vehicles (both originally on the older Z-1) and both shift great with the new fluid. If I were going to use an aftermarket fluid, I'd probably use the Valvoline stuff, but the Honda fluid has been working good for me.

I don't see the benefits of adding any supplements to the fluid. Any of the fluids you are considering are fine fluids, and don't need anything supplemented to them.

You're correct, I meant ATF. This is the first auto that I've owned in many years so the muscle memory is being relearned
smile.gif

I've stuck with the much maligned Z-1 on my Hondas, 01 Civic (still original AT) and 07 3.0L Accord. Now that it's been superseded, I'm going with MaxLife for my next and future d&f's in both.

ML is well respected here and reasonably priced. The fact that you are planning to add Lubegard red is a bonus. However, D&F's at every oil change would be overkill imo. 20-30k should be fine.

I say go for it.

Thanks for the input. Interesting that the Honda boards all say to only ever use Honda fluid no matter what -- Honda knows best! And by the way did you hear that this guy used Amsoil ATF and his tranny blew up??? OMG!!

Glad that BITOG attracts more thinkers and less dittoheads! (I hope so anyway
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Thanks for the input. Interesting that the Honda boards all say to only ever use Honda fluid no matter what -- Honda knows best! And by the way did you hear that this guy used Amsoil ATF and his tranny blew up??? OMG!!

Glad that BITOG attracts more thinkers and less dittoheads! (I hope so an
yway
wink.gif
)

Well it draws the"anti-ditto-head"in a certain respect. Lots of people will claim that OEM fluid is always inferior...

If I were in your shoes I'd use DW-1.

While the new pricey DW-1 is not considered "lame", the original spec ATF for his CRV, Z-1 generally has not enjoyed a good reputation. While I've used it exclusively in the notorious 01 Civic ATF with no issues to this point, going to well respected MaxLife now that Z-1 has been discontinued, presents no downside for me.

Feel the same for the OP's Z-1 spec'd CRV. To each their own

Did four drain and refills with Maxlife. Added 7oz of Lubegard Red with the final. Transmission seems as smooth as ever!

I'm using Redline D4 in my Honda Accord. I've been using it since the car had about 60,000 miles (used Z-1 up to that time). I added lubegard red the first time and lubegard black (formulated for Honda transmissions) the second time. The trans is smooth as silk (hasn't "blown up" yet) and seems a little smoother with the lubgard black than the red. I've been doing 3 drain and fills every 30,000 miles (car is mostly highway driven). I'm wondering if the Redline couldn't go further in my application (now have about 114,000 miles on the car...about 24,000 on the trans fluid).

Both Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle claims to be Honda ATF Z1 compatible. I've used Maxlife with no problem but it seems like Castrol is thicker. If you want it to be closer to the original viscosity, I'd pick Castrol Import MV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back