STP S2808 (Hyundai Elantra) Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is a quick dissection of one of these. Unlike the STPs for my FX4, these appear to be useable.

20120305182922.jpg

20120305183044.jpg

20120305182950.jpg

I've got a couple of those also from the autozone 5w20 sale, but I think I'm sticking with the hyundai/kia OEM filters, because I have a bunch of those.

I picked up a couple of WIX from O'Reilly's today (swapped the Microgard equivalents) and I am impressed with them as well as the PureOnes for this car. For a short OCI, the STP would be OK, but I would not push them much past 5K.

Looks like decent construction ... I'd say good for 5K for sure.

is stp going back to metal end caps? STP has become a Champ/ecore brand so i was surprised to see this good ole fashioned construction here (metal)

Thanks for posting this! I was also going to hack one open since I got a few freebies from the Mobil Super 5000 deal last week.

Looks like an passable alternative to the original (pics at bottom):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1597131&page=2

I think that the original has gone through a few revisions though.

I normally only use Hyundai filters but I think that these would be acceptable for shorter OCIs with the Mobil 5000. We put so few miles on this car that I don't run extended OCIs on it anyway, since my wife just uses it for short local trips.

If I had a choice, the Hyundai filters are still much better at $5. But these freebies look passable.

I've read that some Hyundai engines have had flow problems with some aftermarket filters (bringing up the check engine light), but I've used PureOne filters without issue.

Is the media really inconsistent on these pics? Looks like it's closer together on the other side, but the closeup shows the side where it was glued and the surface are looks a bit sparse. If this is the case, can you get another picture of the media from the other side, zoomed out a little more?

Quote:
is stp going back to metal end caps? STP has become a Champ/ecore brand so i was surprised to see this good ole fashioned construction here (metal)

Doubtful. For whatever reason, the S2808 is one of the odd >3" dia. that is not an ecore.

I looked at this filter in AZ yesterday and noted that it is the application used for older Hondas. Basically it is the equivalent of the L14459 and/or Fram PH3593A. So,, while it won't fit the latest model Accords, it should still fit many Hondas calling for the 14610/7317 size.

Also STP oil filter has no equivalent 14610/7317 size, instead it specs a smaller thimble size filter to replace it.

Originally Posted By: zeezee
Is the media really inconsistent on these pics? Looks like it's closer together on the other side, but the closeup shows the side where it was glued and the surface are looks a bit sparse. If this is the case, can you get another picture of the media from the other side, zoomed out a little more?

I took those photos with my phone, I will try to take some later tonight with my DSLR and post. One thing I noticed in the photo (that was not obvious in looking at the filter) is it appears to be tilted on one side as if the metal cap was glued on crooked. I **hope** this is an illusion in the photo.

Went for one of the current AZ MS5k/STP oil and filter promos for $9.99 with this filter for use in an 01 Civic. It specs the 14610/7317 size but I've used the PL14459 size before including when it was new, dealer used that size.

Much like the ST7317 I cut open awhile back, it doesn't appear to be a media area leader, but for a 5k/6month oci, it should get the job done. And for ~$2 qt. MS5k, the S2808 is basically free. Tough to beat and better than an ecore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back