Sullube -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved into a section that is responsible for a bunch of Air Compressors (amongst other stuff).

Sullube is specified, but must be refined from pekingese eggs or something, as it's pretty pricey.

MSDS indicates some high end stuff 'though.

Any alternatives that are more reasonably priced ?

Castrol makes some diester based fluid

Thanks Molakule, not sure on the availabilty down here of Amsoil industrial stuff (their automotives are becoming more available due to ebay).

To take my own thread off topic, the sullube looks a little like my Gm Eaton S/C nose drive oil ($49.94 for 112ml from Holden)...do you think the sullube would be an OK eaton nose drive lubricant ?

Sorry Molakule.

I've got a Holden with the L67 supercharged Buick V-6 in it. Supercharger is Eaton, and the drive end has 60,000 mile OCIs

The specified oil is $49.95 Australian for 112ml, and 1.6 bottles are needed for a change.

The lube "contains" as per the bottle
Fatty Acids, C5-10, esters with dipentaerythitol CAS 70983-72-1
Phosphoric Acid,
(1,1 demethylethy)phenyldiphenylester CAS 56803-37-3

It popped into my head that if sullube, even at it's price point was suitable, a gallon for the price of 4 Oz would be attractive.

ok, I see what you're asking.

The fluid for the SC is a special DiPOE with a low volatility phosphorous ester, much like jet engine lube for the high temps encountered in the bearing cells.

I don't think the Sullube would be compatible.

The Sullube is probably the same fluid made by Dow and originally marketed by Ingersoll Rand as SSR Coolant under this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US4302343. It was an excellent product but had some problems with demulsibility and rust.

When that patent expired, IR switched in part to a Hatco product based entirely on polyol esters under this patent: http://patents.justia.com/1999/05895778.html. The Hatco product had better performance but was more expensive.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back