Supertech oil under the valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone had any pics of the oil or has taken a motor apart where it has been used and how did the engine look? It seems to be great oil.

I honestly think that it is a good oil for a great price. I wouldn't expect extra wear from an engine. I wouldn't go more than 5k on it, but it's a conventional!

I think its one of the absolute best bargains right now for a good quality house brand oil. I think Walmart has it currently for a little over $12.00 for a 5 quart jug. So thats about 2.50 a quart. No rebates to hassle with either. Grab the jug and out the door. Plus with them selling Puro classic filters for 3.28/ea in most sizes thats a great deal. $16 OCi and your set for 5k miles. Quick, easy, and easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
I'm planning on running my ST conventional 5w30 for 7K. I'll post the UOA when it's done.

Most of our Maxx's life has been on Supertech conventional to the OLM. It's looks brand new in the fill hole. No staining, varnish, nothing.

I have 6 quarts of SuperTech 10w-40, that my 87 Cherokees 294,215 mile 4.0 is waiting for. I am having a hard time getting to even 3,000 miles on this last OCI of Havoline 10w-40, just itchin to change it out.

I've been running the synthetic version in the 1.6 4A-FE on 7.5K OCI's for a while now(maybe 40K?). Last time I did the T-belt it had the usual tarnish but was otherwise super-clean. My use of it will likely end soon in favor of some M1 EP so I can run the OCI's out longer.

Last edited:
I've noticed that my Walmart still stocks WPP-made Supertech dino. Some people claim to have the Exxon bottles in their stores (identical to Exxon Superflow), but I don't have it.

Either way, both are good oils.

What's everyone currently seeing on their Walmart shelf? I see only Warren. The tests from PQIA may not be the same for all bottles since they only apply to bottles from Exxon.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/AccelNov2010.htm

Originally Posted By: zeezee

What's everyone currently seeing on their Walmart shelf? I see only Warren. The tests from PQIA may not be the same for all bottles since they only apply to bottles from Exxon.

I would imagine that the results are the same for PEAK dino. I have the 5qt jugs and they are WPP and identical to the WPP ST oil jugs from WM.

I know a guy that used super tech Dino oil in all his drag cars and at the end of each yr when they tore them down they was very clean.

Originally Posted By: sw99

I would imagine that the results are the same for PEAK dino. I have the 5qt jugs and they are WPP and identical to the WPP ST oil jugs from WM.

I was thinking the same thing. No sense in changing it if it works. I guess it's possible that Peak has a different blend, but I doubt it. Bottles look the same as ST.

+1 Great Recommendation for a quality oil change with no rebate hassle. But if you can find Peak....for Cheap....grab it and run.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I think its one of the absolute best bargains right now for a good quality house brand oil. I think Walmart has it currently for a little over $12.00 for a 5 quart jug. So thats about 2.50 a quart. No rebates to hassle with either. Grab the jug and out the door. Plus with them selling Puro classic filters for 3.28/ea in most sizes thats a great deal. $16 OCi and your set for 5k miles. Quick, easy, and easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
Concerning Wal Mart branded "supertech"

What you get can be identified by the shape of the bottle.

Depending on where in the country you are it could be:

*) Mobil
*) Peak (WPP) (Warren)
*) Shell

All are excellent oils. Choose the cheapest one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
O'Reilly's has Peak w/filter for $9.99 right now I believe.

Technically it's $4.99 after mail-in-rebate. Limit of two.

I got mine!

I've noticed that my Walmart still stocks WPP-made Supertech dino. Some people claim to have the Exxon bottles in their stores (identical to Exxon Superflow), but I don't have it.

Either way, both are good oils.

If by "bottles from Exxon" you mean the wide-mouth bottles similar to what Mobil uses, they have been sold in New England for maybe three years. However, ONLY the conventional oil is in these bottles. The various specialty oils (HM, synthetic) and the 15W-40 diesel oil is in the "regular" small-cap bottles.

I will pass this along for what it is worth. I pick up the oil for my mechanic when it is changed. In this case our CTS specifies Mobil 1 5/30 syn. It takes 6 qts and I only had a 5 qt bottle of M1 at home but happened to have a quart of 5/30w Super Tech syn which was in a clear bottle. I dropped all off at the mechanics. When I returned to get the car my mechanic returned the Super Tech quart saying he would not use it because of what looked like a cloudy material that had settled to the bottom. I returned it to WalMart for a refund. If it wasn't for the clear bottle it would not have been noticed and for all I know would not have been a problem anyway. That particular qt had been sitting in my garage for a year or so so who knows. I have always used Super Tech in my Jeep with no problems and for all I know there may be stuff that settles in all oils but we just don't see it due to the opaque bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back