What is the best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix makes Napa Gold, proselect/silver and carquest red/blue. all are well made!!

Purolator is also very good.

Both brands made in USA!!! go for it

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
wix is usa made with good internal valves, oreillys has them here but oddly not on the shelf, in the back, only fram on the shelf

Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
Wix makes Napa Gold, proselect/silver and carquest red/blue. all are well made!!

Purolator is also very good.

Both brands made in USA!!! go for it

Correction, SOME Wix are made in the USA while a lot are starting to be built overseas.

Any high quality US made filter should be fine, though filters with a silicone ADBV and gasket are preferable to me due to chemical resilience.

Purolator Pureone, Purolator Synthetic, Fram Xtended Guard/Ultra, Napa Gold, M1 EP (OCI special), Bosch D+.

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
Amsoil EaO line
Donaldson Endurance
Napa Platinum
Bosch D+
Mobil1 / K&N / RoyalTurdple

Agreed on the Donaldson. I just didn't list it due to the very limited number of automotive versions.

10km is only 6200 miles, so I'd just go with a PureOne. No need for an extended OCI filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
10km is only 6200 miles, so I'd just go with a PureOne. No need for an extended OCI filter.

Good catch, I was basing mine of of 10k miles not KM. Any decent filter should work good. as you stated no need for an extended drain oil filter.

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
Amsoil EaO line
Donaldson Endurance
Napa Platinum
Bosch D+
Mobil1 / K&N / RoyalTurdple

+3

Which filter has the best filter media? Highest efficiency filtering smallest micron particles.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Which filter has the best filter media? Highest efficiency filtering smallest micron particles.

PureOne: 99.9% @ 20 microns.

This is even better than some of full synthetic filters like Amsoil and RP?

I am due for an OC when the weather gets nice. I want to splurge on a filter that will actually catch something. I've used Puro Plus, P1, Motorcraft, Napa Silver and they all come too clean. I wonder if a higher efficiency filter will catch more.

Last edited:

I am due for an OC when the weather gets nice. I want to splurge on a filter that will actually catch something. I've used Puro Plus, P1, Motorcraft, Napa Silver and they all come too clean. I wonder if a higher efficiency filter will catch more.

They are probably catching stuff too small to see with the naked eye. Next time you cut open a filter, lay out the media and look at it with a strong light and at least a 10x magnifying glass. You should see something ... if not, then your engine is super clean.

BTW - doubt you're going to find any filters that are better than 99.9% @ 20 microns unless you start using a 5 micron bypass filter setup.

Maybe there is nothing in your engine to catch. This is very true if you've maintained your vehicle properly since new. Or if it's a used vehicle the previous owner was good with the maintenance. Of course if your engine is dieing then the filter will catch lots of debris.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back