Offenhauser vs Edelbrock Intakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey as mentioned in my earlier threads, I am buying parts for this 390 FE build. Anyways I would like to put dual quads on this thing unless I can track down a rebuildable rare 6 pack setup.

So Edelbrock makes a dual quad setup for these engines, but I noticed Offenhauser makes three setups with some more options as far as a regular, mid, and high rise setup. I have not seen any of the new Offy products and was just wondering if they are still quality or if I should just go with the Edelbrock. In a 30 Ford, I dont have to rev very high for sure, but it would be nice to have a taller medium riser setup for looks.

Weiand doesnt make a manifold for my Ford FE so thats not an option. As far as vintage ones I am only seeing expensive Shelby and M/T ones or low rpm Edelbrock single 4 barrels. So again, I am wondering how the new offenhausers stack up against the new Edelbrocks as far as making power, but also, but somewhat related with the ports matching up and general fit and finish.

Well they sure do not mention one on their website. On the site you listed the price is nearly double of the Edelbrock offering (299). Also I mentioned I was looking for a dual quad setup so the Weiand is still not an option for me. Also the testing was on vintage Weiands, Weiand is now part of the Holley family so its a different set of R&D anyways.

Why do you want dual quads? Twice the headache if you ask me. QFT makes Holley style carbs up to 1400CFM.

What about an Edelbrock 2936 and an 850 double pump?

What kind of heads and cam are you running?

I want it for the looks. Single 4 barrels are too cookie cutter for me and since its in a street rod, its more about looks than top end for sure. I mean in a 2k pound car, a basic 4v 390 would be a rather spirited ride.

And you are talking to a guy that has run a lot of 6 packs, so I am used to dealing with multiple carbs, but its all been on GM's and honestly if I can deal with 348 six pack with a distributor in the rear, a Ford FE with a front mount distributor would be nice to have in comparison.

Im building the motor now. Going to be running a mechanical Isky EE 350 cam, PRW roller rockers, and for heads I am using a set of GT heads most likely. Trans will be a C6, rear end will be a Jag IRS with 3.55 or 3.73 gears. Thats the plan.

Last edited:
Excellent. I've had a few multi carbed monsters myself.

Consider the beautiful little Holley 390's, they work well on the street.

And no matter what, a 2000 pound car with that motor will need TRACTION!

Yeah like I said...even a 300hp engine will be a tire burner. And with the stance its going to have, it will be a burnout machine.

Yeah with a Highboy with no hood sides, the motor is just as important in the looks dept as the paint job. I want it to look like a early to mid 60's street rod. And in the 60's it was all about multi carb induction.

As for carbs I have some of the small WCFB carters I may doll up and use. Otherwise the holley route is probably what I will do. If they didnt want 2,300 bucks for a 406/390 6V tri power with the Holley 2300 carbs, I would be all over that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back