Old School Ford Big Block 428 vs 429

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Or.....READ, WRITE, SPELL, and DO BASIC MATH !!!!!!
Best wishes on your teaching endeavors, we don't have enough
folks like you these days...............

Dear God man, you just used words in all caps, as well as an ellipsis. I'm sure Pop_Rivit is currently blowing a gasket, as per his post in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457394#Post2457394

You have just used two of his pet peeves together! If you had cursed, you likely would have caused him to implode, creating a ripple in time and subsequently, the entire universe would fold-in upon itself
grin.gif

LOL ! Sure hope Pop_Rivet doesn't hurt himself imploding. Also hope he knows how to replace his blown gaskets.

460. There's no replacement for displacement, and besides, you're posting on the racing board, not the keep-it-period-correct board. The 385 series engines were better for making big power.

edlebrock has some nice alum heads for the 385series that would help lighten the load on the nose.

while a kaase motor is probably the penultamate, most of us cant handle the buy in.

if you dont care about period correct whey spend the extra on the FE parts that the period guys search for and pay for?

steve

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
460. There's no replacement for displacement, and besides, you're posting on the racing board, not the keep-it-period-correct board. The 385 series engines were better for making big power.

Sure there is. It is called a blower or a turbo.
wink.gif

I post it here since there is not a "performance street" option.

Once again, dont have a line on a good 460 core motor locally. So its gonna be a 428 or 429.

If you want a 460 don't just look in cars. One place where 460's are a dime a dozen is 80's F250's and F350's. I bought an running F250 last year, 460, C6, 10.25" Stirling rear for $250. I can get more than that for the truck at scrap without the driveline.

I bought it to use though so I put a few hundred $$ in it and that's what we're doing with it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Sure there is. It is called a blower or a turbo.
wink.gif

Then again, you could put a blower or a turbo on a 460, and have the big engine with the power adder. You know the hot-rodder's adage: "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just about right."

being raised on chevy and chrysler, the ford engine discontinuity always bugged and confused me; 427, 428 AND 429? and they aren't related??? 2 different 351's??? a 6cyl AND a V8, both displacing 4.9liters???

sorry for displaying my ignorance, carry on...

I was raised on Chevy myself, and my old man felt the same way. In the 50's and early 60's he built and raced mostly Chevys. He did build a 312 Y Block Ford for his teammate but once the 409 and eventually the 396&427 he never looked back at Ford or at Chrysler. I have gotten an ear full from him for looking at this Galaxie. But unless an inexpensive 68 or 69 Chevelle comes around I am going to get this Galaxie. Just have to get in the car and wheel and deal with the guy a few states away.

A Galaxie 500 is going to be a LOT cheaper than a '68 or 9 Chevelle-I've seen decent stripper Chevelles, nothing spectacular, go for over $10K. Why not a Buick Skylark, Olds Cutlass, or Pontiac Tempest/GTO/LeMans?

I have seen a few 68 and 69 Chevelles go very cheap in decent shape down south, I just never had the cash to buy them last year. I could have bought a 68 base model that had no rust and just was tapped in the passenger front for 2k.

But yeah I am looking more at Fords because they are cheaper. Im not a fan of the Olds or Pontiacs, but a Skylark may be suitable. Also thinking of looking around for a nice 67 Impala hardtop.

There was a great article I read some time ago where it think it was hot rod magazine did a piece called something like "Poor Man's Cobra Jet".

They took a 390 (any FE will do) and did a few things to it for fairly low bucks and made huge horsepower.

My friend and I considered that combined with a top-loader for his AC Cobra kit that we built about 5 years ago. The weight issue and availability issue made us go 302HO --->348 with a tremec in the project. It would be fun to do up an FE though.

Maybe with some searching you can find that article.

Yeah my father and I help a friend of his build a Cobra kit car. He opted for a stroked and bored 351 Windsor with Cleveland 4v heads. Thing is a total animal with the 6 speed he put in.

Originally Posted By: flanso
I have owned a 1963 427 Galaxy and a 1970 Torino CJ 429. I think the FE is the better motor. The round port 429 never lived up to my expectations. There was, in the late 60s, a version of the 428 that had a forged crankshaft and big valves in free breathing heads, the 428 SCJ. It was a very powerful, reliable motor. I would build one like that. Incidentally, there was a 390 version that came in the Fairlane GT. It had the good heads and was curiously rated at 335hp, 10 hp less than a standard 390. Those 390/335hp ran very well; far better than the 345 hp version. A 390 might be worthy of your consideration.

Nope more i-net folklore...

The ONLY thing that differed in the 428SCJ was it used 7/16" 427 cap-screw rods instead of the 428 Police Interceptor 13/32" nut & bolt rod of the std CJ... The crank was cast nodular iron, and was balanced differently than the std CJ due to the heavy rods... ALL other components between the 428 CJ & SCJ were identical(that includes heads, intake, carb etc)... Both were underrated at the same 335Hp, but due to lighter rotating mass, a CJ is approx a tenth quicker in the quarter mile...

The 390GT heads have a staggered bolt pattern to fit manifolds in the Mustangs and the intermediates, but otherwise are identical to the std passenger car 390/428 heads... Valves and intake ports are smaller than the 428CJ/SCJ heads which are basically 427 Low Riser heads...

The "FE" family is capable of big brute power.

The 390 is very dependable block to work with & some 428's having re-enforced mains & factory hi-perf factory oiling.

There is an aftermarket re-producing both the Cammers & 428 in aluminum complete.

6daba025.jpg

4feff2f6.jpg

2072ce27.jpg

Last edited:
I used to drive a 390 Stang at the strip in the 70's for a guy who ran a shop. It was a real runner, I'm pretty sure it was a 67 hardtop.

Don't think those 390's are not real runners, they can easily be made quite fast!

Yeah I ended up with a 390 FE motor for my 30 Ford Coupe. It is a 4V out of a 64 Thunderbird. Plan on putting a mechanical Clay Smith cam in it with a set of roller shaft rockers. Gonna try to locate a 391 FT steel crank and have it turned to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back