Coolant for 2008 Chevy Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I have an '08 Silverado, with 60,000 miles. It has the 5.3 engine. I'm going to do a drain & fill this spring. What coolant should I use? I assume factory fill is in it now, but I don't know what it is. I have a NAPA, Autozone, Oreillys, and Advance Auto near me. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those trucks use a pressurized coolant bottle and Dexcool seems to work well in them.

I second this. Just use the Dexcool.

Stick with Dex-Cool since there are no problems reported with it in newer vehicles. Zerex is a good brand that is widely available in Dex-Cool flavor.

There will always be some debate about whether or not it was really ever a problem in the past, but a lot of the evidence seems to point to other issues with the cooling system (mainly gasket design and radiator cap design/reliability).

Keep in mind that Ford is switching to Dex-Cool on all their new stuff that is coming out, which means it must be good (since they previously were using mostly G-05 or Asian style p-HOAT... if Dex really had issues, they would have stuck with the other formulations).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Those trucks use a pressurized coolant bottle and Dexcool seems to work well in them.

So, I can get it at any of the above stores? Or does it need to be actual "Dex-Cool" from the stealership? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs

So, I can get it at any of the above stores? Or does it need to be actual "Dex-Cool" from the stealership? Thanks

Every one of the stores you listed will have Dex-Cool available. Zerex and Prestone would be the two most common brands that you will find. I like happen to prefer Zerex just "because."

It doesn't need to come from the dealership. The bottles will say Dex-Cool on them, and the coolant will be orange just like the stuff that came in the truck.

Ok, thanks guys. Zerex Dex-cool it is. The orange stuff. Any particular place to get a good deal on it?

If it is under warranty, than use Dexcool.

I have a 2001. I have had a lot of problems with dexcool. After my Warranty was up, I changed to Prestone LowTox. Next time I may run G-05 or something else.

I agree with using Dexcool. You could use any of those brands of Dexcool, but my 1st choice would be Havoline Dexcool if your NAPA carries it. It was probably factory fill. Even if you went to the dealer the ACDelco coolant is not necessarily the same thing as FF. I think Havoline is the best formula as Dexcool brands vary slightly in their formula (not enough to not be completely compatible and interchangable though). My 2nd choice would be Zerex.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I agree with using Dexcool. You could use any of those brands of Dexcool, but my 1st choice would be Havoline Dexcool if your NAPA carries it. It was probably factory fill. Even if you went to the dealer the ACDelco coolant is not necessarily the same thing as FF. I think Havoline is the best formula as Dexcool brands vary slightly in their formula (not enough to not be completely compatible and interchangable though). My 2nd choice would be Zerex.

Have yet to see Havoline dex here.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Have yet to see Havoline dex here.

It use to be every where (Texaco)when Dexcool came out, Meijer and all the part stores. It was the only Dexcool for awhile. The NAPA here has Havoline Dexcool, but it is hard to find.

Originally Posted By: Chevys_n_Hawgs
So is Havoline the factory fill?

It use to be. I can't say for sure if it is now. You don't have to use the same brand as factory fill of course. That's the good thing about the Dexcool license, it lets you know you're a getting the right stuff no matter the brand. I just think Havoline is the best formula but Zerex is good as well and any Dexcool brand will do the job.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have a 2001. I have had a lot of problems with dexcool. After my Warranty was up, I changed to Prestone LowTox. Next time I may run G-05 or something else.

In what though? The LSx vehicles, which his truck is, don't have the Dex problems.

On my 06, I was able to get around 10 quarts out by pulling the lower radiator hose. I'm another fan of Zerex Dexcool and that's what I used.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Loobed

In what though? The LSx vehicles, which his truck is, don't have the Dex problems.

I have a GMC Sierra with 5.3 engine. It is the same as a Chevy Silverado

This is good to know! Thanks for all the great info guy's. I am going to do a flush and fill on my Tahoe in the Spring. Now I know what coolant to use. I have a couple of NAPA's around me so it should not be a problem finding their Dex-Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back