Just bought 2010 Ford Escape v6!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sold our 2005 L300 and bought a 2010 Ford Escape Limited 2wd, 3.0l v6 with only 16,000 miles today
grin.gif

Of course, the only thing I could think about it what oil to run through (5w/20 but what brand gets to be the lucky choice?! lol) and what oil filter I will need to start hoarding...hahaha.

Ive read about the six-speed transmission potentially having problems and plan on keeping a close eye on the fluid, maybe even changing it every 25k.

Any advice, reviews, or suggestions on a maintenance regime for this truck?

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
QS UD 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter should be a good combo. Both cheap everyday at Walmart.

+1

Awesome, thanks for the input. Longtime QSUD user as it is anyways so thats a very easy pill to swallow
smile.gif

Is the 3.0l Duratec used in the Escape, the same 3.0l they've used for years in the older Taurus, etc etc?

Your version has 240 hp: up from that used in the previous Taurus, etc.

To be replaced by the EcoBoost in 2013 per Wikipedia...

Cheers!

I hope it serves you as well as my 01 Escape (first year) has me. It has 177k now and has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It is the v6 auto. So far the transmission has been fine, I think because its been service every 30k. The four speed auto in mine has a reputation for failing, but I think only if it is not serviced. I used Motorcraft 5W20 for the first 130k but went to syn to standardize with my Mustang GT. Its got QSUD in it now. This is the same motor the Taurus used since 96 (not the new Taurus).

Congrats, and good choice!

Should do well on any 5W-20 you can get on sale, but if you want a definite brand to stick to, can't go wrong with MC 5W-20 every 5-6k miles.

Congrats... my wife really wants a newer one. Our 04 with 115k is doing fine except needs a new set of tires. Any 5w20 should be fine for 7.5k maybe 10k depending on driving habits. 30k trans flushes is a good idea. I also run Lubeguard but your 6spd is a different animal. I'd also recommend brake and ps flushes every 30k. Not sure on the later models but ours had some pulsating that a simple brake flush cured... last set of brakes last 75k with another 15-20k of life left just got nervous. That's with alot of trailer towing and city driving and Escapes are hard on brakes. I'd also say get lifetime alignment plan and use it! You probably won't realize how much your alignment is off till you get it done!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Congrats... my wife really wants a newer one. Our 04 with 115k is doing fine except needs a new set of tires. Any 5w20 should be fine for 7.5k maybe 10k depending on driving habits. 30k trans flushes is a good idea. I also run Lubeguard but your 6spd is a different animal. I'd also recommend brake and ps flushes every 30k. Not sure on the later models but ours had some pulsating that a simple brake flush cured... last set of brakes last 75k with another 15-20k of life left just got nervous. That's with alot of trailer towing and city driving and Escapes are hard on brakes. I'd also say get lifetime alignment plan and use it! You probably won't realize how much your alignment is off till you get it done!

Awesome! Thanks for all of the tips!!

Im a little nervous about the 6F35 transmission. Ive definitely read about the problems associated with that transmission and will be changing the transmission fluid every 30k for sure.

Glad to hear I can extend my OCI's that far. I know the 3.0l Duratec has definitely proven itself over the years as a reliable workhorse. I love the engine so far, it really propels that Escape.
19.gif

The 3.0L you have is not the same as in the older Taurus, Rangers, and Aerostars. Those engines were Vulcans. Not sure when the Escapes started using them though. I'm sure wikipedia knows.

Originally Posted By: CErnst
The 3.0L you have is not the same as in the older Taurus, Rangers, and Aerostars. Those engines were Vulcans. Not sure when the Escapes started using them though. I'm sure wikipedia knows.

Yeah, I did my research and it appears to have started its duty somewhere around 1995.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
QS UD 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter should be a good combo. Both cheap everyday at Walmart.

+1

+2
Current fill on my 120,000 mi Duratec30/MZI is QSGB. It is fine. UD should be even better.
I'm using a cheap e-core filter right now but I will probably go back to the FL820S provided they have them in stock next time.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Awesome! Thanks for all of the tips!!

Im a little nervous about the 6F35 transmission. Ive definitely read about the problems associated with that transmission and will be changing the transmission fluid every 30k for sure.

Glad to hear I can extend my OCI's that far. I know the 3.0l Duratec has definitely proven itself over the years as a reliable workhorse. I love the engine so far, it really propels that Escape.
19.gif

If I remember right I think most had problems right out of the box and the others where doing flat towing. If you don't have any problems now you should be fine. Forgot to mention on ours I run 10k/1yr oci's with PP 5w20 and the engine is spotless. Very easy on the oil. And yeah I love the 3.0L in that thing.. put your foot down and you get some attention.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

+1

+2
Current fill on my 120,000 mi Duratec30/MZI is QSGB. It is fine. UD should be even better.
I'm using a cheap e-core filter right now but I will probably go back to the FL820S provided they have them in stock next time.

I used to use the MC semi-syn 5w/30 on my 2002 Envoy when I first bought it. The oil was nicely priced at WM!! I might just use it on the Escape, although for a few bucks more (and the rebate which makes it free) its going to be hard for me NOT to buy QSUD
laugh.gif

If I remember right I think most had problems right out of the box and the others where doing flat towing. If you don't have any problems now you should be fine. Forgot to mention on ours I run 10k/1yr oci's with PP 5w20 and the engine is spotless. Very easy on the oil. And yeah I love the 3.0L in that thing.. put your foot down and you get some attention.

Uhhh yeah! Ive been driving a GMC Envoy since 2004, I still have the Envoy my better half drives the Escape (which translates into me driving it lots too b/c I do the driving when we go out). I cant say that my Envoys rear end has actually ever "squatted" when I hammered it before - but on the Escape it does! Standing on the gas pedal with that 3.0l 240hp beast will put a smile on your face from ear to ear when that thing accelerates. Ford did a nice job on the engine/trans combo IMO. 6 speed FTW!

We did a little trip in our 01 Escape today (177k). Its our third car now but we still drive it a lot. I swear it drives as good as new. The v6 in mine was rated 200hp but it will still merge you onto the freeway with no sweat.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
We did a little trip in our 01 Escape today (177k). Its our third car now but we still drive it a lot. I swear it drives as good as new. The v6 in mine was rated 200hp but it will still merge you onto the freeway with no sweat.

Drove my friends 02 Escape [V6&140K miles] from Palm Beach to Miami this afternoon..I agree it will merge onto the freeway with no sweat and a/c was on the entire time.

Congrats on your Escape..Good choice!

Originally Posted By: [email protected]

Do not worry about the 6f35. It is a mass production transmission that is in a whole slew of different Ford/Lincoln vehicles, and will be around for some time. It was co-developed with GM and is in a variety of their vehicles as well.

Here is some good reading about it:

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/view.ashx?article=8b29fecd-9af3-4dda-bbfd-2a3f2b8378fc

http://www.gearsmagazine.com/view.ashx?article=395ee675-edb2-4637-9064-a791e5d7c3a2

http://jalopnik.com/388001/ford-reveals-new-6+speed-automatic-more-power-for-escape-and-mariner

Congratulations on your car purchase! A co-worker of mine has a 2009 or 2010 Escape FWD with the V-6 engine and he loves it. It's a comfortable vehicle, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back